!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: IKEA coffee table layout  (Read 523 times)

Offline funkyorange

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
IKEA coffee table layout
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:26 pm »
Hi all, I have built my layout all good :-)

Now i'm moving onto the electronics. At the moment I am not sure where to put them! Traditionally they go underneath of course but its not so straightforward.

The table is this table
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/liatorp-coffee-table-white-glass__46269_pe143037_s5.jpg

But basically I have put the layout in the draw, the table is basically a glass coffee table with a draw underneath the glass top. The draw slides out where I have cut 3mm MDF board and placed in my layout!

I have three ideas,

1) Put felt pads between the baseboard and draw bottom and the wires to the end of the draw (where the handle is) then add a control shelf mounted to the bottom of the draw. - will this work? Do I need space for connectors - perhaps there wont be enough room? The felt pags would give 2-3 mm enough for the width of the wire.

2) drill holes through the baseboard through the bottom of the draw. Of course the draw slides out so perhaps I create some kind of snap of connections to achieve this.

3) Fix the draw in place and wire the layout like a regular layout.  Then I could add some handles to the glass, so the glass can be lifed off to get to the track for derailments etc...

I'd prefer a solution which allows the draw to slide out still but if not then I guess 3 is ok. This is my first layout so I am unsure the electronics and the space needed. I have a order with all the electronics coming soon!

Thanks in advance  :thankyousign:

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 10:53:28 pm by funkyorange »

Offline weave

• Awards
Re: IKEA coffee table layout
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:11:53 am »
Hi,

Just saw this but need to go to bed. Will try and have a think before I nod off and hopefully will have some inspiration for some ideas tomorrow.

Hopefully some of the Aussies can do the night shift.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:44:15 am »
Already looking at it   :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:40 am »

1) Put felt pads between the baseboard and draw bottom and the wires to the end of the draw (where the handle is) then

How much of a gap (if any!)  is there at the top edge of the front panel of the drawer ? then :-
1b)as above but hang the control panel on the front and pass its wires up, over and back in.
If using flat multicore wires (like computer interconnect ribbons, lots of wires for special effects ) then a small? control panel could be folded back inside for storage. Would be a bit of a problem with the large Kato switches/controller but there are various ways of using minature switches/push buttons. Not sure if the Kato controller would be mounted on that panel or maybe need its own flex for walk-around ?

A large Kato switch panel could be connected with plug+socket to a similar flat ribbon affair and stored under when not in use ? (use multiple parallel individual wires of the ribbon  for the controller power)

The drawer could be part slid out when in use to allow fat Kato wires to pass down in, but that is going to restrict the viewable area of the layout :(

Would the Domestic Authority allow the whole front of the drawer to be replaced by a control panel. with knobs on ! :)

Just a few thoughts off top of head before bedtime :)

X-section :-

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 02:37:39 am by MalcolmAL »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 02:36:40 am »
The ideas above all seem good to me. However, when you say you've got electronics coming soon, I'm not sure what you mean, Funky. What sort of electronics? DCC? Lighting? Sound effects?

If it's flattish pcbs then there should be room for those, but some electronics can get quite chunky if there are relays large capacitors and transformers involved.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 07:33:59 am »
Now i'm moving onto the electronics. At the moment I am not sure where to put them! Traditionally they go underneath of course but its not so straightforward.

1) Put felt pads between the baseboard and draw bottom and the wires to the end of the draw (where the handle is) then add a control shelf mounted to the bottom of the draw. - will this work? Do I need space for connectors - perhaps there wont be enough room? The felt pags would give 2-3 mm enough for the width of the wire.

2) drill holes through the baseboard through the bottom of the draw. Of course the draw slides out so perhaps I create some kind of snap of connections to achieve this.

3) Fix the draw in place and wire the layout like a regular layout.  Then I could add some handles to the glass, so the glass can be lifed off to get to the track for derailments etc...

I'd prefer a solution which allows the draw to slide out still but if not then I guess 3 is ok. This is my first layout so I am unsure the electronics and the space needed. I have a order with all the electronics coming soon!

Thanks in advance  :thankyousign:

the felt pads should be enough to pass wires... if you need bigger elements close to the track think about buildings or terrain structures to hide them above the base board.
In a corner of the layout such a structure could provide a hideaway place for a control-board. This you could take out when you want to run trains and connect to the internal wiring using a multi-pin connector like DB25 or similar.

A flat ribbon wire to connect the internals with controls on the outside might be more at risk for breakage
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 09:03:51 am »
Hi,

This depends on you being OK to drill a hole in the front of the drawer.

So as it's Kato couldn't you just have the wires on the surface following the track round or even coming straight down from the back to the front. Either way you'll need the wires from the inside track to cross the outside track but all you need to do is cut a small V, big enough for the wire in the ballast shoulder with snips.

All the wires could then meet at the front where you have drilled a hole. All the white connectors could be stuck next to each other on some sort of wooden plate to cover the hole in the drawer front.

The controller, point switches with their wires and connectors could be kept on the shelf underneath (or anywhere really) and then plugged together when in use.

The only other thing is to hide the wires with ballast and/or other scenery.

Hope makes sense and helps.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:05:01 am by weave »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:22:41 am »
Actually, I've been thinking about this all day, and just had weave's thought (honest!)

Upstairs wiring with clever scenery to conceal it!

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 09:51:41 am »
Hi Bealman,

Great minds think alike!

Hi Funkyorange,

Looking at the track again, if you did go down this route, the top 2 point wires could come down the middle of the 2 tracks on the RHS, the point wire middle left could follow the siding platform side to the end and then down.

They would all meet roughly where the 2 bottom points are where you can make just 2 cuts in 2 tracks (the bottom cut would need to be bigger to allow 4 wires). The 4 wires would then meet the 5th bottom one and straight down. This would keep it all neat and the longest (top 2) lengths of wires would be covered in ballast anyway. That's if you were going to join the tracks with ballast in the future.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:55:41 am by weave »

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:57:21 am »
Good ideas by all !

I also had a 1/2weave great think when I wrote in my previous about how wide is the gap at the top edge of the drawer?  ie. a gap could be 'created' (sufficient to carry normal wires even) and maybe then not as noticeable a mod. to the DomesticAuthority as a hole would be  ?!

Fragility of a ribbon cable is a concern but it is cheap enough to replace if it failed due to repeated folding, but if all is left in its 'outside' state it should last a long time. My thinking there is to minimize changes to a nice bit of furniture.

Only other thought I've had meanwhile is : to slide the drawer out, place on top of table, plug in a control panel, have fun  :D
Where to put the coffee cups, y'all ask,  yep that could be a problem,,, buy a coffee table perhaps ?  LOL!  :o
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:59:52 am by MalcolmAL »

Online Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:02:50 am »
Yeah... will be you still be able have coffee off it?  ;D

Offline MalcolmAL

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 11:06:15 am »
Oops missed out part of my 'great think' above I ment to type :
- sufficient to carry normal wires or even flat sticky backed flat copper tape like we talked about in the powered re-railer topic -

Offline funkyorange

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:18 pm »
Thank all for the suggestions.

MalcomAL - Question regarding space above the draw, think Im going to drill a hole to put the wires through.

Bealman - I just have 5 point switches and 4 terminal uni joiners - nothing crazy like street lights!! ... yet haha

I like the idea of copper, or thin wire. But I think the idea of running the wires under the kato track sounds like a great idea weave/Bealman - there is space :-). Then drill some small holes at the front of the draw.

Ok so sounds like a good solution.

I have been thinking about the control panel and it might not be great with the domestic authority.

I guess I will need to do my own research BUT an idea to explore at the top of my head was a wiring up the 5 switches and terminal uni joiners to some wireless device to allow the train set to be controlled wirelessly with a IPAD, Computer / Touch screen device. All the wiring could be self contained in the draw - the 'wireless device' could be in a building or something. Is this crazy or doable?! Of course I will need 1/2 wires to the mains outlet for it to be plugged in so it will need some drilling at some point.

If there is something fairly straightforward to achieve this great, but I suspect it may require someone good at electronics so I might have to abandon that!

Im also going to add some dim LED lights around the edge inside the coffee table to light it up - these could be battery to save mains power as they don't require much power.

Thanks again for all the help...quite oftern new ideas provoke more questions and new ideas!!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 01:50:37 pm »
I guess I will need to do my own research BUT an idea to explore at the top of my head was a wiring up the 5 switches and terminal uni joiners to some wireless device to allow the train set to be controlled wirelessly with a IPAD, Computer / Touch screen device. All the wiring could be self contained in the draw - the 'wireless device' could be in a building or something. Is this crazy or doable?! Of course I will need 1/2 wires to the mains outlet for it to be plugged in so it will need some drilling at some point.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=79090
In this raspberryPi-Forum thread they talk about the options to control railway swithces from a rapsberryPi. In other threads I have seen talk about controlling motors through that little computer... so... maybe hide such a beast beneath some scenery and talk to it via a wireless ...
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline funkyorange

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 02:06:51 pm »
Ah cool I have just read that thread. I have a spare rasberry in the cupboard collecting dust actually!

On second thoughts, I tihnk its sensible to not attempt anything to crazy for my first layout.

I might use MalcomAL's idea feeding the wires through the top - so no holes cut. Then mount all the electrics on a board that an be plugged in and placed below. Once its all working and im a bit further down the line with the scenery I might consider implementing a rasberry pie. Ill run the wires under the track and place them so they all come out the same place and I can ballast the track in place and reuse the wires if I choose to rasberry pie it.

Thanks again for the help.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything