!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Connections  (Read 695 times)

Offline mattcaney

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Connections
« on: September 06, 2017, 03:02:34 pm »
What is the best way to have connections to my layout. Its fold down layout 7 x 3ft  but need to have a connection for the dcc and then for 12v supply to power the lighting. It will all go through a mimic panel. Wiring is getting a nightmare with signals controlled via Cobalt point motors.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Connections
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 06:20:18 pm »
So... basically you need two inputs for the DCC, and two inputs for the lighting supply.

Is your control panel a separate box?   Banana plugs and sockets will do a good job for the inputs to the panel.
 How many outputs from the panel to the layout? If it's several, then something like a pluggable screw terminal block might be easiest for you to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pluggable-Screw-Terminal-Blocks-6-Amp-12-Way-Joining-Model-Railway-Baseboards-/381485989282?epid=1488957459&hash=item58d2563da2:g:khEAAOSwfZ1WZhHg
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:22:08 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline terrysoham

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 08:33:16 pm »
How many outputs from the panel to the layout? If it's several, then something like a pluggable screw terminal block might be easiest for you to use.
I think you will find that whilst the pluggable screw terminal blocks are very robust they are also very difficult to push together and pull apart especially if they are located under a baseboard.   
I have used D plugs and sockets with complete success.  They are available as 9, 15, 25  and 37 way types.   However, you do need to be able to solder competently to use them.
An alternative, albeit more expensive way, which has the advantage of being a screw fixing, is the Bulgin plug.   I think these are available with 8 connections.  They are robust but easy to fasten and undo.
Regards
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 08:50:51 pm »

I have used D plugs and sockets with complete success.  They are available as 9, 15, 25  and 37 way types.   However, you do need to be able to solder competently to use them.

I think the terminal blocks are maybe an easier solution for those not into soldering.

Yep, I've used D37s as my standard connector since the 70s. You soon get the hang of soldering them (and you learn the order of (say) the 36 way cable!)  They aren't rated for as high a current as the terminal blocks, which may be an issue if you want to feed a DCC bus along with other connections on the same cable.

N-Club International originally specified D connectors for their module standard, but later moved over to recommending banana plugs.    The modules I've built have Ds and then an optional converter cable so I can accept either method.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 08:57:25 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 09:39:33 pm »
My goto choice for anything  less than 50V up to 5A less than 7 ways are xlr's,if you need a bit more current then speakon NL4 or NL8's,4 or 8 poles rated for upto 50A and again locking. All available in cable or chassis mount,and dont be a skinflint,forget the copies , neutrik all the way

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 11:00:51 pm »
If you want to use D plugs/sockets but don't like soldering, buy a double ended cable and cut it in half. Although each pole of the socket/plug is only rated low current, if you double up on the poles per connection, they work OK.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 09:04:58 am »
I used multipin plugs and sockets from the Duralite automotive catalogue, the pins are crimped onto the wire using standard automotive crimpers.

Geoff

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
How about this -

http://www.brimal.co.uk/power-distribution-board-18-way-screw-terminal-connection.html

one lead from your control panel to the distribution board and connect all your 12v circuits, (lights etc), to the distribution board. This is the way I am going.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline RMurphy195

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:38 am »
How about this -

http://www.brimal.co.uk/power-distribution-board-18-way-screw-terminal-connection.html

one lead from your control panel to the distribution board and connect all your 12v circuits, (lights etc), to the distribution board. This is the way I am going.

Or this one (slightly different way of pairing the wires) http://www.brimal.co.uk/dc-low-power-distribution-board-14-no-2-way-screw-terminal-connection.html

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 10:52:58 am »
I was always a fan of soldered connections to everything.

The older I get, though, the screw terminals become more and more attractive.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 11:17:44 am »
Unless they're colour coded, you run the risk of mixing up DCC and DC supplies. Applying DCC to one rail and DC to the other could be interesting.

D type connectors would work well for this application - they're rated for between 3-5 amps depending on the number of pins so you should have no problems running an average model railway using them.

Audio connectors such as XLR or DIN are also worth looking at - the pins are more spread out than a D-type and so they're easier to solder.

Avoid computer cables - whilst the connectors are OK, the cables themselves might not manage with more than a few hundred milliamps. You also need to check the pin-outs. Depending on the cable, some pins are swapped over and so  a pin on one end might not be connected to the matching pin on the other end.

Screw-terminal connectors also work well.

Steven B

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:13 pm »
I was always a fan of soldered connections to everything.
The older I get, though, the screw terminals become more and more attractive.  :thumbsup:

Must admit the older I've got the more I think if I can't solder it, screw it :)

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:47:29 pm »
Interestingly when I did my apprenticeship we always soldered connections but used hellerman sleeves on the connection to support the wire to prevent breakages due to vibration. Nowadays both aerospace and automotive industries use crimped connectors. If using screwed terminals we were taught to use bootlace ferrels to prevent the screw chewing up the cable strands.

Geoff

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 10:18:48 pm »
My layout is modular, I took a tip off the proper modular guys and I use Bananna plugs and sockets they are cheap and easy to use and available in different colours. I use to these to supply the dcc feed to each board's own bus wires, and then connect to the next board.

Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Online The Q

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 08:04:14 am »
If you don't want the soldering on 37 way D types or any other D types try these breakout board connectors.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=breakout+board+connectors&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Abreakout+board+connectors

Then you can use standard D type cables (which are cheap) to connect boards together.

Not my Idea I found it on Rmweb from Pete 75C

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything