!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!  (Read 68400 times)

Offline Shropshire Lad

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: EXCLUSIVE - REVOLUTION Goes To The Top Of Class B!
« Reply #945 on: Yesterday at 09:15:26 am »
Three probably obvious questions here but what sort of wagons were used as barriers?
Would a rake of wagons running in the mid 70's require barrier wagons and would it need a brake van?
Cheers Colin

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #946 on: Yesterday at 09:36:13 am »
I always thought they were vans, but could have been empty opens?

I'm sure we'll get a definitive answer!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Steven B

• N Gauge Society Number: 12107
    • Awards
« Reply #947 on: Yesterday at 09:43:06 am »
Barrier wagons weren't needed for Class B tanks. The flash point was lower and as a result they were less hazardous.

This RWeb thread gives a bit more info and several pictures.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112658-br-oil-trains/

If you want to add barrier wagons then opens were much more commonly used than vans. Vans were better put to use on fee paying traffic rather than acting as a spacer.

Also common was the use of a brake van at each end. No doubt used to simplify shunting if the train needed to reverse en-route as just the loco(s) needed to change ends.

The class B tanks were vacuum fitted and so any barrier wagons used would also be fitted - i.e. bauxite in colour.

Not all Class A tank trains needed a barrier wagon. Short trips and shunting work would be done without them; Also, if a class A wagon was filled with a class B product (e.g. diesel fuel) then barriers needn't be used.

Steven B.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #948 on: Yesterday at 09:56:07 am »
I always thought they were vans, but could have been empty opens?

I'm sure we'll get a definitive answer!  :beers:

From introduction in 1957 to about 1963-64 most of these block trains were hauled by steam locomotives - Black 5s and 9Fs, and had two barrier steel open wagons (like Farish 377-955/956) and on the longest trains a Queen Mary brake at the end. The need for barrier wagons was relaxed on heavy fuel oils (Class B Tanks) in about 1963-64 and this sort of coincided with the introduction of the class 33s double headed on the Fawley oil trains.

Remember though that barrier wagons were still required on the light oil (class A) tanks for quite some time after this. The Class B tanks were filled with heavy oils with higher flashpoints (which is also why they are shorter in barrel length compared to the Class A Tanks). Class B tanks are always black (except for the Charringtons ones and I dont know why this is so) and Class A tanks started life in shiny silver and then went to grey in the late 1960s.

Obviously later use by United Molasses meant they were not carrying oil, so none of this matters for UM trains.

Many oil trains were mixed, with blocks of Class B and Class A tanks in the rake. Roll on the Revolution Class A tank wagons...

Hope this helps
Bob
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:59:20 am by Bob G »

Offline emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #949 on: Yesterday at 09:57:10 am »
If you'd like a video of an oil train with no barrier vehicles, have a look at this.

https://youtu.be/802G0RfM7qM

It's worth a watch regardless of the buffer vehicle debate.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109%