How to help stop SPAM text messages etc.

Started by DELETED, November 18, 2016, 10:16:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELETED

Hello,

In light of another thread it nughed me aas a reminder to say if anyone gets spam, spoofing or phishing text messages on your mobile phone then there is something you can help do about it.

We all know TPS and ex-directory means next to nothing -they just invent dodges around the rules.  I was getting harrased by text messages on my mobile phone and I spoke to my provider "O2" who pretty much said there wasn't anything they could do about it and not interested in reporting fraudulent use of personal contact details.  However on speaking to another phone provider if you keep getting messages you CAN report them which helps block the spread of personal details and phone numbers and ALL phone networks MUST offer help.

If you receive an unsolicited text message on your phone from someone you don't know don't reply or go though any "opt-out" instructions.

Select the message and forward on to "SPAM" or "7726".

....That sends it to an O2 / vodafone etc. etc. etc. centre.  You will get asked if you agree to a text message charge and in return you will get a message back asking you for the originating number or the name / contact details etc.

It's working for me anyway.  Like I said my network provider (sadly someone in a far flung place in eastern earth) said there's nothing you can do -but there IS and if you DON'T report it then you're not helping anyone combat fraudulent use of contact details.  You can block numbers like I try but if the originating number is hidden you cant -reporting it does help reduce getting continued messages.

Just thought it was worh mentioning in case anyone else keeps getting messages they can't stop.

Cheers,

Rich

PLD

Quote from: RST on November 18, 2016, 10:16:44 PM
Select the message and forward on to "SPAM" or "7726".

....That sends it to an O2 / vodafone etc. etc. etc. centre.  You will get asked if you agree to a text message charge and in return you will get a message back asking you for the originating number or the name / contact details etc.
Just a couple of riders...
1. Depending on your network, the 7726 number may be prefixed by an additional digit. - it is (3)7726 in the case of the THREE network and IIRC Vodafone needs a prefix also... Resellers such as Giff-Gaff and Virgin presumably will match their respective host carriers.
2. Some providers WILL charge you (at your standard text message rate) for this, on others it's free. from what I can remember, THREE do charge, O2 don't, while Vodafone charge Pay-as-you-go but not contract customers. There may be other variations among the smaller providers.

Bealman

Very interesting. I've been getting heaps of garbage on my phone in the last few months.

I guess the suggestions will work here in Australia?

Not that it matters much..... I got me phone nicked last night.

Just about to ring it. Could be interesting.....
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

zwilnik

If you have an iPhone, show the details of the sender by tapping the i (info) button, tap on the number and you can use the "Block this caller" button to permanently block them from messaging or calling you again (it works for spam phone calls to if they have a number)

Any further messages or calls they send to you will only get a no such number response.

I don't know if Android/Windows phones have a similar feature but would be very surprised if they didn't.

Malc

There is an app called Truecaller for the iPhone. You can search for the calling number and report it as spam and block the call without filling your phone book up.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

DELETED

Quote from: Bealman on November 18, 2016, 10:59:24 PM
Very interesting. I've been getting heaps of garbage on my phone in the last few months.

I guess the suggestions will work here in Australia?

Not that it matters much..... I got me phone nicked last night.

Just about to ring it. Could be interesting.....

Sorry -never thought outside the UK to be honest as it's .co.uk and weblink is EU rules.

I can't comment on your phone issue apart from he might be a brave man -you gotta be careful, each time I write a letter to Davy Jones I am mindful to check I get my stuff like keys, phone etc etc. in check before I hit the flush button!

DELETED

Quote from: Zwilnik on November 18, 2016, 11:10:17 PM
If you have an iPhone, show the details of the sender by tapping the i (info) button, tap on the number and you can use the "Block this caller" button to permanently block them from messaging or calling you again (it works for spam phone calls to if they have a number)

Any further messages or calls they send to you will only get a no such number response.

I don't know if Android/Windows phones have a similar feature but would be very surprised if they didn't.

The point is you have to report the number first to try and stop it because it's just not you getting it.  It only maybe takes half a min. (yes blocking is available on allot of phones) but you've just got to report it for the few seconds it takes and try to stop it.

zwilnik

Quote from: RST on November 18, 2016, 11:34:59 PM
Quote from: Zwilnik on November 18, 2016, 11:10:17 PM

The point is you have to report the number first to try and stop it because it's just not you getting it.  It only maybe takes half a min. (yes blocking is available on allot of phones) but you've just got to report it for the few seconds it takes and try to stop it.

Until the phone companies stop making money from both sides they have no interest in stopping the scammers and spammers. At the moment they make money from the users each time you text or call them to report a scammer and from the scammers when they move them to a new number after banning them from the old one. It doesn't actually stop the spammers and they simply carry on with the list of phone numbers  (now verified because they got an answer) they have.

If everyone just blocks them then both the spammers and the phone companies stop making money on that call and it becomes less viable financially for them to carry on with it.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations