Proper operation of a branch line locomotive?

Started by Chrispy, November 04, 2016, 03:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLD

Quote from: violets49 on November 04, 2016, 02:03:49 PMbut for longer distances, even tank engines were normally turned as bunker first running at speed was not pleasant for or popular with the crew. Especially for locos without a tender cab.
On older Tank locos maybe, but many crews were said to prefer bunker first on more modern Tank locos such as the LMS/BR Class 4 2-6-4s and Class 2 2-6-2s, and on lines with long tunnel sections such as some London suburban routes, bunker first was preferred for reasons of vision...

Steven B

Quote from: JasonBz on November 04, 2016, 03:56:10 PM
One reason, particularly on branches with curves all over the place, for a turntable at the terminus is to equalise wear on the locomotive wheels.

In which case they'd turn the loco at the shed. A turntable was an expensive luxury most branches neither needed or warranted.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Bealman

Quote from: keithfre on November 04, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: Bealman on November 04, 2016, 04:26:43 AM
GWR branches often ran autocoaches which had a tank engine (usually a pannier), and controls at the coach end so it could be driven from there.
'Push-pull' working was also common on the Southern.
Yes, I'd forgotten about that.  Sorry, SR fans! Was it the M7 tanks that were fitted for those duties?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

martyn

My own advice would be, as ever, study photos or trackplans of the area you are hoping to model. I would suggest that provision of a turntable may have depended on the length of the branch, and the type (tank or tender) locos rostered to work it.
It would seem that short(ish) branches worked exclusively, or almost so, by tank engines were unlikely to have one, and longer branches or those which had a significant number of tender engine workings would.
Note that some branches (eg Mildenhall, Suffolk) did have a turntable as the branch trains involved running to and from Cambridge with tender engines, and not just to the main line junction. Many branches did only run from terminus to main line junction, and I would suggest (no proof, other than looking at photos) that the main line junction usually did not have a turntable to serve the branch line loco.
Some significant mileage was put in bunker first by tank engines on some lines (think the 0-6-2 tanks working out of Liverpool St or Kings Cross suburban duties).
Martyn

JasonBz

Quote from: Steven B on November 04, 2016, 08:02:36 PM
Quote from: JasonBz on November 04, 2016, 03:56:10 PM
One reason, particularly on branches with curves all over the place, for a turntable at the terminus is to equalise wear on the locomotive wheels.

In which case they'd turn the loco at the shed. A turntable was an expensive luxury most branches neither needed or warranted.

Happy modelling.

Steven B

Most I would agree with, but not all.

SORRY
I got that wrong
The T/Table at Princetown was mainly for turning the 19xx locos so they were "facing the drifts"  when used to clear snow from the line in a Dartmoor Winter -thats even more esoteric a reason ;)

I was giving a realistic reason why one may find a turntable at a branch line terminus ;)

Bealman

I have always thought that drivers would have preferred working bunker first because they'd have clearer vision without a lanky boiler sticking out in front of them, or is that just nonsense?  :hmmm:

dodger

Quote from: Bealman on November 04, 2016, 08:40:07 PM
Quote from: keithfre on November 04, 2016, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: Bealman on November 04, 2016, 04:26:43 AM
GWR branches often ran autocoaches which had a tank engine (usually a pannier), and controls at the coach end so it could be driven from there.
'Push-pull' working was also common on the Southern.
Yes, I'd forgotten about that.  Sorry, SR fans! Was it the M7 tanks that were fitted for those duties?

Some of the M7's were push-pull fitted, but most of the 0-4-4T classes had some examples fitted. Not forgetting the A1X & P 0-6-0T in the early days.

Dodger

PLD

Quote from: Bealman on November 05, 2016, 12:25:10 AM
I have always thought that drivers would have preferred working bunker first because they'd have clearer vision without a lanky boiler sticking out in front of them, or is that just nonsense?  :hmmm:
Not at all nonsense... In fact exactly what I said 5 posts earlier...  ;)

Quote from: PLD on November 04, 2016, 07:59:40 PMmany crews were said to prefer bunker first on more modern Tank locos such as the LMS/BR Class 4 2-6-4s and Class 2 2-6-2s

Bealman

So you did.... sorry! Aussie Saturday night musing  :worried:

LAandNQFan

Inconsistencies in turntable provision can be historical and may have depended on ownership when the line was built.  Three branches in Ceredigion differed in that the Cardigan and Whitland put a turntable at Cardigan; the GWR who had taken over the Carmarthen and Cardigan put a turntable at Llandyssul when that was the terminus, then took it away and put one at Newcastle Emlyn when they gave up trying to go any further; but no provision for a turntable was made at the Aberayron terminus.   If you are not trying to be 100% historical, Rule One must apply!
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

keithfre

Larger locomotives that needed turning would be sent down the line to a station with a turntable if the branch terminus did not have one.

JasonBz

When working on a line with a fierce incline, the (kettle thing) steam loco should be smokebox first going up the hill, to keep the water level over the firebox corwn...or BOOM!

violets49

Quote from: PLD on November 04, 2016, 07:59:40 PM
Quote from: violets49 on November 04, 2016, 02:03:49 PMbut for longer distances, even tank engines were normally turned as bunker first running at speed was not pleasant for or popular with the crew. Especially for locos without a tender cab.
On older Tank locos maybe, but many crews were said to prefer bunker first on more modern Tank locos such as the LMS/BR Class 4 2-6-4s and Class 2 2-6-2s, and on lines with long tunnel sections such as some London suburban routes, bunker first was preferred for reasons of vision...
You're having a laugh! On the Glasgow suburban routes bunker first running was NOT popular and only when there was no time to turn was bunker first running ever seen. I have NO idea how bunker first could be prefered for reasons of vision? Driver was on the wrong side and faceing the wrong way! Only on the Cathcart circle was there much in the way of bunker first running. (For obvious reasons) In fact, it was a practice for years to put main line locomotives arriving off of English expresses onto Circle trains to turn them. I don't know what went on 'doon the dunny' but as you couldn't see much down there anyway I don't know if it mattered. I'll ask Albert the engine next time I see him. He's the expert on the low level!

PLD

on lines with long tunnel sections such as some London suburban routes, bunker first was preferred for reasons of vision...

Quote from: violets49 on November 07, 2016, 08:58:36 PM
You're having a laugh!

I have NO idea how bunker first could be prefered for reasons of vision?
Think about it... Your in a Tunnel... It's dark and a confined space... at one end of the loco there's this chimney thing spewing steam and smoke which ain't helpful for visibility... Of course you'd want that end of the loco behind you!!
::)  :doh: :hmmm:

JasonBz

Quote from: PLD on November 08, 2016, 07:55:11 AM
on lines with long tunnel sections such as some London suburban routes, bunker first was preferred for reasons of vision...

Quote from: violets49 on November 07, 2016, 08:58:36 PM
You're having a laugh!

I have NO idea how bunker first could be prefered for reasons of vision?
Think about it... Your in a Tunnel... It's dark and a confined space... at one end of the loco there's this chimney thing spewing steam and smoke which ain't helpful for visibility... Of course you'd want that end of the loco behind you!!
::)  :doh: :hmmm:

Lack of vision may well be the least of the footplatemens problems - being asphyxiated is a touch worse ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations