gas/lectric smart meters

Started by jonclox, July 21, 2016, 10:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on September 03, 2016, 08:24:24 AM
I read that as from October this year, smart meters will be 'universal' in as much as they will now use a industry-wide standard system. This means should you switch supplier(s), the meter will now,unlike earlier versions, talk to the new supplier without any problems.

Dave G

Not what they told me when they fitted mine.
Wonder if I'll get some even newer smart meters :hmmm:

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on September 03, 2016, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: daveg on September 03, 2016, 08:24:24 AM
I read that as from October this year, smart meters will be 'universal' in as much as they will now use a industry-wide standard system. This means should you switch supplier(s), the meter will now,unlike earlier versions, talk to the new supplier without any problems.

Dave G

Not what they told me when they fitted mine.
Wonder if I'll get some even newer smart meters :hmmm:

The meters already installed are the older type which I understand aren't smart enough to work with the new system that gets switched on in October. Not sure what you could do about that Mick other than ask if an upgrade is going to be available.

Dave G

daveg

I thought it was only the centralised data collection that was not going to be ready before October 2016. Once this is available then anybody with a smart meter should be able to swap to another provider and still make use of the smart meter functionality. Currently if you swap supplier you lose the functionality of the smart meter and have to provide manual readings.

Colin

Colin
[/quote]

Happy to be proved wrong Colin and trust that those with Smarts already installed will be able to switch should they want to.

Dave G

Caz

Getting smart meters fitted here soon by Endesa but crafty whatsits are not going to publish when lecky will be cheap as they are reserving to right to modify depending on load. 

This means you will have no idea when to use it to save money, if everyone puts their washing machines on at say 0200 hrs then the load goes up and the price goes up. Crafty money grabbing  :censored:

Although we don't use much in Spain, electricity is very, very expensive when you do use it. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Any chance of (more) solar, Caz?

Probably you have that already but we were impressed with recent info on the LG storage batteries. The ROI can be extended but the technology seems to be improving all the time.

Dave G

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on September 04, 2016, 07:00:39 PM

The ROI can be extended but the technology seems to be improving all the time.

Dave G

It's amazing what they can do with land reclamation these days. ;)

Caz

Quote from: daveg on September 04, 2016, 07:00:39 PM

Probably you have that already but we were impressed with recent info on the LG storage batteries. The ROI can be extended but the technology seems to be improving all the time.

Dave G

No, haven't got solar, far too expensive to install for a pensioner like me plus the electric company now want you to pay them a fee as you don't use so much of their electricity.  My daughter and son-in-law have a largish villa not far from me and they have solar and a big installation at that, almost independent but it cost him about 18,000 euro but can run all his pool and aircon etc.
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

Quote from: Caz on September 04, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
but can run all his pook and aircon etc.

Googling 'pook' has left me no wiser as I can't think you mean a pile of hay or a junkie, Caz :no:
Can you enlighten me please?
@Caz

Caz

Now corrected, too late at night here.   :)
Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on September 04, 2016, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: Caz on September 04, 2016, 10:44:52 PM
but can run all his pook and aircon etc.

Googling 'pook' has left me no wiser as I can't think you mean a pile of hay or a junkie, Caz :no:
Can you enlighten me please?
@Caz

Beatrice Lille used that word while playing the wicked Mrs Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie when her evil plans went wrong. Sadly can't find a clip. So funny - must be an age thing!

Dave G

Bealman

Don't fret, Caz... it took me two reads to pook up the typo  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jerry Howlett

Lookout Caz!

We have smart meters in our part of Italy, it was a big roll out a few years back. "Cheap" electric from 20:00 till 08:00 and at weekends and holidays. Yeah still pay about E150 a month on average for a mid size house and just us 2.  What will follow will be an onslaught of unsolicited calls from "Switch companies" about 3 calls a day when it all started.

I have been my "only speaky English",away on holiday, tourist, lodger, and have died a few times in response to these.

Rant over!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

jonclox

:-\ 40 minute phone call today means we are 'programmed'  to go Smart  on 31st of October this year
  :uneasy: :-\
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Newportnobby

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the collective >:D

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on September 05, 2016, 08:08:21 PM
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated into the collective >:D

A Borg Again consumer?  ;)