Kato question

Started by Cstewart0809, September 09, 2018, 12:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cstewart0809

Hi guys,

I was thinking about buying a kato track set which includes a controller.

However I've read reviews that the controller is not compatible with our electricity here in the UK so they tend to blow up etc.

Is this true?

Anyway I can get round it?

Cheers!!!

Malc

If you buy from a UK supplier, like Train Trax, they will supply a UK power supply.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:
We have loads of Kato users in the UK and not one has reported their controller blowing up :no:
As Malc says, just source your stuff in the UK.

dannyboy

As Malc says, just make sure you get a UK spec' controller. Once you have the UK controller, any loco' will run on the track and congratulations on going down the Kato route, there is plenty of advice on the forum. Also as Malc suggests, have a word with Keith at Train Trax - a helpful bloke.

Just to clarify what I put above and what Mick, (NPN), says, any 12v loco' will run with the correct controller. I have bought a few loco's from both Japan and the USA without problem.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

REGP

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I've been using a Kato Controller for around 10 years for DC opearation of Farish , Dapol and Union Mills Locos and have not had any problems!

As others have said just source it in the UK and yes Train Trax is a good place to start.

Ray

railsquid

The only thing to be possibly aware of is that the Kato controllers apparently output up to 14v DC at the maximum setting (the red section on the dial) which might not be optimal for some modern locomotives (happy to be corrected if anyone knows any different), but at that setting most locomotives would be going at stupidly high speeds anyway.

FWIW I live in Japan and have no problems running British locos from a Kato controller (I keep them to a nice slow trundle as a rule anyway), and I also have a standard Bachmann controller which works just fine using a Japanese transformer.

RailGooner

Hi and welcome aboard @Cstewart0809 ! :wave:

I bought a Kato V11 set (which includes 22-014 Controller) over a decade ago, to keep my trains moving while I cracked on with a permanent layout. I still use it regularly - it has been plugged in for the last 5 weeks - and no fires yet. As others have said, just make sure you buy one that is manufactured for your locale. Within the EU, it must be marked with the CE logo and be fitted with the correct plug for the country it is being supplied to.

I've made zero progress with a permanent layout, so I expect I'll be using my Kato for the next decade too!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations