la Vuelta 2018

Started by Caz, August 22, 2018, 06:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz

For those interested la Vuelta (Tour de España) starts this Saturday with the first stage being Málaga to Málaga.  https://www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-1

The exciting bit for us it that stage 3 is coming through our village (Benalmádena Pueblo) on Monday 27th right past our gate.  It is going to be fun watching them come through the narrow bit of the village that is very narrow as it is controlled by traffic lights for alternate traffic direction flow, should cause quite a bit of bunching.  The map shows Benalmádena as being on the coast but that's Benalmádena Costa and not the pueblo, the pueblo is to the left of the purple box just after the route crosses the A7 motorway.

https://www.lavuelta.es/en/stage-3

Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

port perran

I'm no cycling fan Caz but like you, if they were coming past my gate then I'd be out watching and taking in  the atmosphere.
Enjoy.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

GroupC

I love the Vuelta but it's also bittersweet: at the start of the event I can watch the highlights and afterwards cycle to the shops and back OK. After the event if I go to the shops at the same time I need lights on my bike.

Never mind, my newish job and its early morning starts means that that sort of thing is now after bedtime anyway, so instead of needing bike lights I'll be able to get to sleep without feeling it's the middle of the afternoon. Always look on the bright (or darker) side of life.

It also reminds me of the time quite a few years ago when I was in Spain when it was on. I gave up watching on telly as I couldn't understand the commentary but I did have possibly the nicest ever fish-based meal (excluding fish and chips which trumps all other fishy pretenders) I've ever had while there.

But back on topic, give us a wave Caz! Perhaps do some land art to ensure coverage of yourself.

Newportnobby

A great shame ITV4 are only showing highlights each evening :(
Saturdays is at 10pm and all others at the usual 7pm.

Bealman

Should be fantastic, Caz! I can just picture you out in front yard with a glad of red in hand, cheering them on!!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Philip.

la Vuelta is my favourite of the 3 Grand Tours, always seems a little less frenetic than the others. Plus I have a fondness for Spain too which helps.

Caz, get yourself a big NGF banner for Monday so we can spot you  :D

Bealman

What a brilliant idea! Free global advertising for the NGF!!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Caz

I'll see what I can do for the sign, I'll guess we'll wait in one of the bars having a glass of red or two, just to be sociable of course   :-[

I want to see them come through the restriction of the pueblo high street (pic below) as it should be fun watching them bunch.  Guess we will be just after they emerge from the end of the narrow bit and just after they pass the traffic lights and will try and have a NGF sign to hand  ;)

They've already put signs up everywhere saying the roads are going to be closed betwen 1500 & 1800 hrs on Monday so have to make sure the car is back home before then.

Benalmadena Pueblo High Street.

Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Mito

That's more modeling time gone for a burton!  :) Compulsive viewing for both of us. We'll keep a lookout for you.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

TrevL

I'll keep an eye out for you Caz, I'll hopefully be watching the whole thing on eurosport.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

RailGooner

Newportnobby

Featured in ITV4s coverage of La Vuelta last night, as someone who gets vertigo standing at the kerb, check out "El Caminito del Rey". Would you see me up there? Not on your nelly :no:

http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/#3

Philip.

Quote from: Newportnobby on August 27, 2018, 09:38:56 AM
Featured in ITV4s coverage of La Vuelta last night, as someone who gets vertigo standing at the kerb, check out "El Caminito del Rey". Would you see me up there? Not on your nelly :no:

http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/#3

Saw it on Eurosport, looks absolutely stunning. One for the "to do list"  ;)

Caz

Quick reply as out and about with visitors.  You have to book for the Caminito de Rey and it IS spectacular.

Link to video as la Vuelta passed through Benalmádena

Caz
layout here
Hackton info
Bampney info

Philip.

Great video, I believe you had a bit of a wait? According to the commentary, they were running about 40 minutes late  :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations