Accuracy?

Started by Dorsetmike, July 12, 2018, 07:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I sometines wonder; we get all sorts of little fragile detailing bits to make it "look right" but when we check wheel diameters and other dimensions some are fairly close but others are considerably out.

I've been doing a bit of kit bashing to "extend the range"  so I hunted for some 6' drivers, give or take an inch or so;  I looked for suitable items going on Ebay for "spares or repair" found a Farish LNER B1, check Wiki for prototype dimensions -  drivers 6'2" - OK close enough, when I get to measure it ... 5'8"; OK so maybe it's only 1mm in N gauge but it's a significant percentage  to me especially up against a loco with 5'7" drivers and others with 6' drivers.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

thebrighton

It is virtually impossible for a locomotive to have scale wheels. First of all they have to have over scale flanges yet still fit within splashers/under footplates so the actual wheel diameter has to be smaller. Also to keep splashers to scale the thickness of the plastic moulding will also require slightly smaller wheels. N will always be a compromise and manufacturers have to get it to look right rather than mm accurate.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations