Weather

Started by Bealman, March 19, 2018, 08:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinOz

Just making sure that I'm on the right board and making sure I'm not getting into a clique,

Judging by the comments made regarding the cliquey side of the forum

Before the 'clique' question gets banned...

What are you guys talking about?  Haven't seen anything. ???

PS:  Lovely weather here in Wellington, NZ.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

Now it is pouring down where I live!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Welcome in the UK to the first day of spring, not the fake spring the Meteorologists claim was 3 weeks ago before the Beast from the East and the snow...

Webbo

Quote from: Bealman on March 20, 2018, 08:00:01 AM
Now it is pouring down where I live!

Half your luck, George.

Here's my weather radar from a few minutes ago. You can see George is getting a tiny patch of rain in Wollongong (at about 1 o'clock on the outer circle in the image).

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR402.loop.shtml#skip

For me in Canberra (near the centre of the image) - nada! with zero prospect of anything happening soon.

Webbo

daffy

I went for a walk in the sunshine yesterday. It was cold, the wind was biting, and I had to take care on a patch or two of snow, but I had a spring in my step for the first time this year, so for me yesterday was the first day of spring. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Newportnobby

I do recall going to a post TT motorcycle race meeting at Mallory Park in early June and it snowed then.
Can't remember what year, although it would have been in the 1970s.

Bealman

You can't remember back that far.

Oops, sorry, being cliquey  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

It snowed 2nd Jun 1975, in many areas of the country.
It also snowed 1978 in May, in some part of the country, for all of the first 9 days, which is the one I particularly remember as the RAF at Coltishall wouldn't turn the heating on...

As for the weather with the Beast from the East part 1 and part 2, it's had some very bad effects almost in sight of my house...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/drone-footage-of-hemsby-cliff-1-5442267

The line of concrete blocks was the old cliff line before the storms

Although I do have sea defences where I live...

daffy

Thanks for that. :thumbsup:

I've been monitoring that story because in the 1960's my Mum and Dad took we kids on holiday to the Norfolk coast for a number of years. We always stayed in a little chalet, and I learned recently that it had succumbed to the sea. Very sad and tragic to see people's homes and property destroyed by the weather and the march of time.

(The chalet was somewhere between Hemsby and Scratby)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

The Q

The Department of the Enviroment have a formula where they will only spend £1 for there is a possibiliy of £10 of destruction. Since the Hemsby destruction is slow enough for that not to happen in the requisite time period nothing is done.

Whereas just up the road where I live is very low lying ground, and if the sea Broke through there it could flow up the rivers as far as Norwich causing mass destruction. So 20 years ago we got the rock sea defences to Protect the concrete sea defences that were built after the 1953 floods...

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/205529

My house isn't quite in shot in one of the squences of this film.

broadsword

A few years ago I hiked the Norfolk Coastal path, very enjoyable by the way
if you like staying in ye old inns etc, a week before there had been gales and
a very high tide resulting in seashells, seaweed , dead crabs etc in fields
half a mile from the water's edge.

daffy

Seeing that video, and particularly the long sea wall that was built, reminds me of the current situation at and near Sutton On Sea.

A similar wall was built, probably at around the same time, standing high above the beach level. My wife used to come on holiday with her mum and dad as a child and remembers it well.

In recent years someone has had the bright  :hmmm: idea to protect the area better by dredging up sand and fine gravel from the sea floor and depositing it on the beach between the normal tide line and the wall. In some areas this sand, tons and tons of it, has been colonised, probably intentionally, by grasses etc, so that small dunes have formed. Beach level is now only a few feet below the wall top.

But outwith these areas it's just sand. Sand that rarely gets covered by the sea except on exceptional tides.

So what have we had lately? Wind. Lots of it. From the east. For days and days on end.

Result? Sand everywhere, on the Promenades, in back gardens, on caravan roofs (just a few caravans on this coast ;)), and Council workers and others are struggling to remove it all with tractors and diggers and all manner of implements and put it back on the beach. The problem, as far as I can tell, exists from Skegness to Mablethorpe. These clear ups must cost a fortune.

Now I know next to nowt about how you prevent coastal erosion, but using sand seems a bit of a non-starter. A humble worker I chatted to last week said they are now considering raising the sea wall to limit the sand incursion. And the guy whose family have run a nearby cafe for over 60 years said the sand problem was not a problem before they came up with this scheme.

Does anybody know what they are doing? :hmmm:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

The Q

Great Yarmouth also had the diggers out clearing the sand from the roads, since thats the way of the longshore drift it's probably the sand from Hemsby.

Malc

Quote from: newportnobby on March 20, 2018, 09:51:50 AM
I do recall going to a post TT motorcycle race meeting at Mallory Park in early June and it snowed then.
Can't remember what year, although it would have been in the 1970s.
I remember it well. I was working at Silverstone, covering the British Grand Prix and it snowed on the way home. Probably 74 or 75.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jeff_W

Apologies for bumping up an old thread, but I thought it might be the place to mention it. I'm sure some of you have seen the news about Kentucky getting slammed by tornadoes last night. The sirens went off at my work twice last night but fortunately nothing was too close. A lot of other areas got hit in the state though. My home/general area is fine. Nothing damage-wise to report.

We had one tornado that was on the ground for over 200 miles, which will undoubtedly be a new record.

I work in Hardin County, far right in the image, for reference. It seemed like this thing was coming our way for awhile before it dissipated.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations