!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction  (Read 120132 times)

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Perthshire Railway Preservation Society - Construction
« Reply #2070 on: January 14, 2018, 07:15:54 pm »
Thanks Matt, your thread is very helpful - will give it a go with platform mark 3!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2071 on: January 15, 2018, 12:15:43 am »
 :hellosign: Thanks for the updates Andrew, you are making good progress, I am sure the platforms will turn out looking good
       regards Derek.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2072 on: January 15, 2018, 07:53:17 am »
Here is them both in place, changes the look of the area straightaway

Was time to plant some grass, normal flock applied onto a thin layer of PVA

I got this loco, 60004 "William Whitelaw" a while back, DCC fitted at a good price, but the front pony truck was not secured, I thought it was a couple of things, but turned out it was just the fixing screw that was missing - I borrowed one from the A4 that is in the paint shop so I am still short one retaining screw, Not having any luck with DCC Supplies in sourcing one, these and replacement bogies for cargowagons seem to be a challenge to get hold of - I have had a habit for a long time for saving small screws and stripping down broken equipment (a bit like the button tin I remember my granny having) to salvage bits, so I may have to trawl through those to find a replacement one!  I have a couple of loco's now with this "British Railways" livery and must say, it is amongst my favourites, prefer it to the early or late crest liveries.

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2073 on: January 15, 2018, 09:34:53 am »
I'll tell you what Andrew, as I'm sure you are beginning to appreciate, that adding the grass, colour, ballast,and form to your scenery is going to completely transform how your layout looks. This is going to be good. As you might have gathered from what I've been trying to do with my Deadwood, I'm a big fan of terrain so where you are going suits me just fine.

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2074 on: January 15, 2018, 09:38:29 am »
And factories and agricultural machinery outlets  :P
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2075 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:34 am »
and refineries ...  :)

Thanks Webbo, it does make a huge difference, I have different bits of the layout that are at a more advanced stages of completion, this year I hope to join a few of them up!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #2076 on: January 15, 2018, 10:54:03 am »
I fully agree, Webbo. Just adding appropriately coloured scatter makes a tremendous difference.

Talking of scenic work, the superlative Wrenton, uses static grass (which I plan to ty, this summer along the front embankment at Cant Cove). Here is what Roger posted re: static grass which may be useful for you, too, Andrew:

"Hi Chris. Yes, static grass everywhere! I wish it had been around when I last tried building a layout (1960s - ouch!). Most of it is War World Scenics but there's a little bit of Noch here and there. As with painting roads, I think it's important not to use the same colour all over an area. I've avoided using the spring colours and only used the summer ones mixed with some autumn colours. Their patchy mix is quite useful, too. I've used Gaugemaster glue most of the time, but have also used the WWS stuff. Also, the latter's layering spray for adding longer or differently coloured patches. I usually make a paper mask when using the spray adhesive so that I can control the area that I want to cover. I use 1mm length in cared-for situations (mostly the gardens, of course) and 2mm as the norm elsewhere but with some 4mm here and there (along that fence in the village photo, for example) and even a few small areas of 6mm.

There are some step by step videos on the WWS website (http://www.war-world.co.uk/) and loads more on YouTube."

Hope that helps.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2077 on: January 15, 2018, 11:03:32 am »
Thanks Chris, the Wrenton thread is a massive source of inspiration!  Visually superb and lots of the techniques explained too

I have been putting down a simple flock as ground cover, then adding in patches of static grass to not only vary the colour, but also the heights, I am still very much on a learning curve with this, my 1st attempt on the golf course was a bit clumsy, but as I have a lot to do, am hoping practice will improve things!  I have a range of lengths on the shelf, but so far have only used 1mm & 2mm, I need to branch out a bit more and follow Roger's lead, some good advice there regarding creating a mask ... something I am too forgetful about to protect surrounding areas, even when using mod rock!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2078 on: January 15, 2018, 11:27:48 am »
I also, sometimes, forgot about masking off areas, Andrew.

I look forward to seeing your use of static grass, in due course.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2079 on: January 16, 2018, 09:10:51 am »
Had a bit of playtime with some DAS clay, filling in the gaps around the tunnel portal and blending into the cliff face

Rather than waste the packet, I used it to build up other areas, some footings for the road bridge

The lift out panel over the Strathearn branch line

and then layout edge, I have an idea starting to form for here.

When I was building the hills around the goods yard, I had in my minds eye that there would be retaining walls dotted around, started to shape one up - these ones are from a P&D Marsh kit I had lying around (I bought a massive job lot a few years back on ebay and have only scratched the surface of them)

With the last of the DAS, I built up the area behind the retaining wall

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #2080 on: January 17, 2018, 05:54:56 am »
While I was waiting for the DAS to dry, I planted some more grass between the tracks, base layer of standard flock, to which some static will be added later

Coat of primer on the retaining wall and it all sits quite nicely into the DAS

Time to resume some ballasting, this is the same mix I used a few days ago, however it did not harden very well once it was dry, quite a lot of crumbly areas when I hovered it up

Some colouring applied to the sleepers and posts, I used Liquitex acrylic's, a bit of raw umber mixed in with a mars black. I then did some sporadic splashes of black to indicate the tar/creosote staining

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2081 on: January 17, 2018, 07:27:20 am »
Looking good Andrew. As has been said above, adding some colour and grass makes a real difference.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #2082 on: January 17, 2018, 09:05:27 pm »
Looking good Andrew. As has been said above, adding some colour and grass makes a real difference.

I fully agree, Keith.

The retaining wall is an excellent idea. I had toyed with the idea of using one for the slight rising embankment of the Castle Branch along the side of the goods yard at Cant Cove but decided an embankment looked better. The last panel, alas, seems to have come unstuck. Close-up photos are VERY cruel.

You will need to add some filler in the vertical gap between those two bridges before you paint and weather them, Andrew. Adding DAS around the tunnel mouth and bridges is a good idea. I used tiling grout left over from the hillsides around mine.

The ballast looks fine in the photo.

I saw the rake of NE twin-bolster timber wagons and the rake of WR BR Maroon Colletts in earlier photos. Also what looks like your BR Maroon B Set in a recent one.

'Persuaded' by you and a well-known photo. of 4526 in the same livery at Wadebridge with a GWR livery B Set, I bought a Dapol 2S-014-003 4571 BRITISH RAILWAYS Black 45xx to be renumbered as 4526 (83E).

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2083 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:13 pm »
..... some good advice there regarding creating a mask ... something I am too forgetful about to protect surrounding areas, even when using mod rock!

If you wish to mask your track only, I suggest using painters blue masking tape as supposedly it leaves much less residue than the normal yellowish masking tape.

Webbo

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #2084 on: January 18, 2018, 08:58:14 am »
In this hemisphere itís green, and known as frog tape.  :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00