!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series  (Read 39221 times)

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Kato Rhaetische Bahn series
« Reply #255 on: January 12, 2018, 01:35:26 pm »
It's one of the Gourmino dining cars, which they've obviously painted in an advertising livery.

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: January 12, 2018, 01:52:51 pm »
It seems that the Stiva Retica car is a bit more than a Gourmino car. It's actually a single car for 44 people that you can hire for parties etc. The RhB has a single page about it on its web pages. Yes, I've literally just looked here:-

https://www.rhb.ch/en/leisure-travel-and-excursions/groups-schools/charter-carriages/stiva-retica

Oddly it seems as though it's a side corridor coach of some sort if you look through the windows, which are different to a Gourmino car. This is the Gourmino car we used in 2003:-

It's coupled directly behind the rack loco that hauled us over the difficult sections of the Glacier Express. Not as well known as the RhB portion. I think it's at the mouth of the FO tunnel, I can't be 100% sure at this distance.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:56:54 pm by Mike Beard, Reason: Web page ref. added »

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #257 on: January 12, 2018, 06:00:38 pm »
Now I've never seen a model of it nor any reference anywhere. Can anybody help?

This 'Gesellschaftswagen' started its life as a 'Schwere Stahlwagen' (heavy steel wagons) A4 1208 (later A 1208) back in 1929. 

This is the car back in 1989 A1208

And this is the car now, very nice interior, same style as an old Swiss restaurant, WR-S 3821 Stiva Retica

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: January 12, 2018, 06:22:06 pm »
Found an interesting page on the Kato website (some may already know) and it seems we have to reload our wallets for May 2018. More Ge4/4II on the horizon.

steve

Offline Metroman64

• MENSA No 60968
    • Awards
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2018, 06:55:34 pm »
The coach coupled to 644 was this one:-

Now I've never seen a model of it nor any reference anywhere. Can anybody help?

Bemo have done a model of this coach but its in HOm, never seen one in N

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2018, 07:42:16 pm »
Found an interesting page on the Kato website (some may already know) and it seems we have to reload our wallets for May 2018. More Ge4/4II on the horizon.

steve

I've been through them and it looks to me that the Ge4/4II 631 will become available sometime in February 2018 and in May 2018 the Ge4/4III will be available with a full Glacier Express 6 coach unit, but I may be wrong. In the meantime there seems to be a "World Shortage" of Glacier Express "Add-On" 4 coach sets which Kato might like to address.

Happy Modelling - the Ge4/4II looks like being about $75.00,

Mike Beard.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:43:37 pm by Mike Beard »

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:53 pm »
and in May 2018 the Ge4/4III will be available with a full Glacier Express 6 coach unit

The description (and picture) on the first page is for another Ge4/4II or a 2nd run or follow up because of high demand of the same as in February 2018.

In the meantime there seems to be a "World Shortage" of Glacier Express "Add-On" 4 coach sets which Kato might like to address.

They already did, will be available also in May 2018. Place your reservation NOW !  ;)
(I did) :D

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:34 pm »
That's interesting, I've recently paid about 45 for a Glacier Express Add-On 4 cars from what turned out to be China.  Even more interesting will be if they actuallyarrive! I think the new run will retail in the UK from 64, starting with TrainTrax and working upwards.

I'm in the planning stage, 12 foot x 2 foot portable, and I'm wondering what is the overall length of the Kato 10-1318 + 10-1319? It should set the design cat among the wanted passing loop length pigeons!

While I have your attention whose N gauge wagons can I "fudge" reasonably easily RhB freight cars from?

Thanks in Advance,

Mike Beard.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:13:38 pm by Mike Beard »

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2018, 09:07:15 pm »
While I have your attention whose N gauge wagons can I "fudge" reasonably easily RhB freight cars from?

I would say @Gordon is the one to answer that question, he's done several according to his pictures he posted.

I haven't done any fudging with freight cars, I am still in the designing phase (when time permits) for several different Ge4/4 III liveries and trying out different weathering steps for the locomotive roof (after all that is what we see first if we do not have a shelf layout on eye level).

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2018, 09:25:11 pm »
I'm not convinced that the 11kV busbars on the loco roofs are black. In my day the porcelain insulators were an ivory colour, not black, and the busbars themselves were bare copper. Brake block dust tended to cut back the colours but the insulators were kept clean otherwise unwanted flashovers were the result. They punch holes in roofs!

Anybody got a colour photo of a Ge4/4III roof in service? Out with the Revell 84, again!

Please somebody run a measure over the 9 cars of the Bernina Express. It would so helpful.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard

Mike Beard.

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2018, 09:57:09 pm »
Anybody got a colour photo of a Ge4/4III roof in service?

I went thru hundreds and hundreds of pictures online to collect some good roof shots, I saved them all on my computer but can't re-post them here as they are not mine. If you use the word Dachansicht in your search it can help.

I found a great picture of the green one on flickr, if I can find the link I will post it, I saved the link somewhere   :)

steve

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2018, 10:02:41 pm »
@Mike Beard , Dachaufbau is also a word you could use.

This is a shot from a LGB model weathered by someone else.

steve

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2018, 12:37:36 am »
Anybody got a colour photo of a Ge4/4III roof in service? Out with the Revell 84, again

Just look at the Filisur webcam. Southbound Ge4/4III often stop just below the camera.

This photo shows a recently outshopped loco so the roof colour variations are visible:

http://www.schmalspurbahn.ch/filisur/webcam/a1706260904714

Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2018, 12:43:44 am »

See my reply #224 in this thread recently, and also my other  posts to this thread right back to number 0 (I started the thread 2.5 years ago in June 2015! )

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2018, 12:48:38 am »
The description (and picture) on the first page is for another Ge4/4II or a 2nd run or follow up because of high demand of the same as in February 2018.

As I read it, the newsletters show the originally planned issue of Ge4/4II 631 in February 2018. The 'page' for May 2018 also says Ge4/4II 631, so it's not a second model, just more examples of the first one. Like you I imagine this reflects the number of pre-orders for the first batch.

And to think I was told this Kato RhB stuff would never take off!

European railway expert

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here