!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins  (Read 510 times)

broadsword, trevis and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online trevis

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: North Derbyshire Raliways - It begins
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 02:43:20 am »
G'day from the east coast, Trevis, and welcome to the NGF!  :thumbsup:

As others have said, that was one introduction! I found it interesting that track laying was one of the last things on the agenda! Quite unusual.

Any chance of a track plan, please?

Yes, I can see how ppl might think that. A few reasons, come to mind, all excuses for my somewhat laissez faire approach to it all, and the "she'll be right" philosophy. Number one, this layout is based loosely on my previous attempt, which was planned out quite detailed in software, so I had a good idea of where I was headed; Secondly, my primary attraction has generally been more on the scenic elements than the trains - heretic! (not to take anything away from that, as they certainly provide life and entertainment); and finally, the plan is still developing as I go and think of different things to plop in. I didn't want to spend a year designing the perfect track layout before I got to the enjoyable part (for me at least) of building my little world. I can always rip it apart and start again  :D

I'm under no illusions that my way will lead to more rework, cost and failures, but it also allows me to just keep taking it somewhere else as the mood fits, and provide constant surprises to myself. I hear cries of "anarchy!" from the backbenches. But, I'm just learning, so I happy to try things out and make mistakes.

I will see if I can put together a revised track plan soon.

Cheers
TC

Online trevis

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 02:47:22 am »
Looks a very neat job.  :thumbsup:

All sorts of options for tunnel entrances/mouths but have a look at this site that offers a huge range of brick styles and types: http://www.paperbrick.co.uk/

Thanks Dave, that site looks just the ticket for a whole range of projects!

TC

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 09:34:13 am »
A 'freestyle approach' like this is going to be very interesting. Most of us hate doing things twice so please keep us posted of both successes and failures.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 09:44:42 am »
A 'freestyle approach' like this is going to be very interesting. Most of us hate doing things twice so please keep us posted of both successes and failures.
I quite like the idea.  I'm doing some things for at least the third time.  The problem with detailed planning before putting pen to paper, so to speak, is that when you get it all down, you find that it's not quite what you intended or that it doesn't work in the way you thought it would.  So carry on and learn by your mistakes, like the rest of us!   :beers:
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:54 am »
I started at one end of the garage wall, with a reverse plan of Peter Denny's Leighton Buzzard, and worked me way around the other walls from there, making it up as I went!

Not exactly good planning!  :worried:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online trevis

• Awards
Wye is it so?
« Reply #35 on: Today at 11:52:23 am »
Quite a bit to report from this weekend. Made a few more little models. Connected up the PSX-AR, and added in the siding attached to the Langwith Junction yards.

The PSX-AR had been lying in a dusty old box on a shelf for years so I had little hopes of any success. Not much to configure for basic auto reversing operations - plug in the DCC bus on one side and plug in the isolated track on the other. Turned on the power, LEDs fire up, run a train, bingo, straight through, no shorts! Bombproof.

Due to terrain some of the siding has underlay and some does not. Won't matter once the ballasting goes in, and the track is not moving anywhere fast now it is glued down. Sadly this has created another Wye I fear. It's certainly created a short at any event. I will have to hook it up to the PSX-AR and see if I need another reverser or if there is something more sinister at play. However, with both ends of the sidings open it runs fine and the train with full carriage load happily chugs up the hill.

Also importantly I bought a printer. I have been relying on the kindness of strangers, but sadly the lasers don't have the detail I require. So, $50 later I have the stupendous clarity of an Epson ink jet. You can see it in the promo posters I have put on the Cinema. The size of the little fingernail, but still able to be read.

On a more sombre note I realise that I cannot do Chesterfield justice, for a couple of reasons. Primarily the Market St Station was a big terminus and I don't have the space for it just yet. So I am changing tack and making that end Bolsover, which makes much more sense geographically. It's also the town my dad grew up in. The pit is right there, the Carr Vale "viaduct" space is there, the tunnel entrance is there, and I have some room for the model village.

I can say with authority that they did have a Plaza cinema, however without a photo I can also be fairly certain it wasn't as grand as the one I have on show... Minor detail.

And so we progress.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here
anything