F1 pitstops and unsafe releases

Started by GroupC, April 09, 2018, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GroupC

Clearly you don't remember Gilles Villeneuve then...?! Dijon 1979, last few laps... boring, never. Number 27, not forgotten.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ0wv1I8yc

Every era of every sport has its boredom quota - like I said in another thread, it's the random moments of excitement we anticipate, hope for and watch for.

PLD

HASS use Farrari's traffic light system, I understand triggered by sensors in the wheel guns. Coincidence??  :hmmm:

MalcolmInN

Quote from: GroupC on April 10, 2018, 03:08:33 PM
Clearly you don't remember Gilles Villeneuve then...?!

it's the random moments of excitement we anticipate, hope for and watch for.
Actually ! I do :) and I'd best not say what I think of that personality, , ,  else I'll be derailing your topic even more  :laugh3:  :-[
It was NPN's thoughts that set me off down the "boring" route.
Sorry :) please carry on with your unsafe releasing  topic.

PS  more reading, it seems that the newer 2010 'ban' on re-fueling was by discussion and agreement among the team owners that the benefits (spectacle - excitement) were not justified by the extra costs, not by the fire dangers.

So, I learned a lot, thanks for raising the topic.

njee20

Quote from: MJKERR on April 09, 2018, 07:06:35 PM
Quote from: njee20 on April 09, 2018, 01:36:28 PMYou talk as if you know definitively he's getting a penalty at the next race? Seems they've been fined €50,000, but I've seen no mention of that, and why would they issue a grid penalty purely for the mismatched tyres?
Advised during the race the incident would be investigated at the end of the race
Fine / Penalty, action has been taken

Had the car left the pit stop, which it did, then penalty is applied (that's the regulations)
The team noticed the issue, told the driver to stop, and the plan was to push the car back to pitstop
Had the car returned to the race then a penalty would have applied, but it will now be applied at next race
As a drive through penalty cannot be applied a minimum 5 place grid penalty may be applied
A decision needs to be taken by Thursday

As expected absolutely no grid penalties or mention thereof. Would've been a curious penalty.

Shame Raikkonen didn't hold on for pole in China.

MJKERR

Quote from: njee20 on April 15, 2018, 10:23:26 AM
As expected absolutely no grid penalties or mention thereof. Would've been a curious penalty.
Yes, a next race penalty was not applied
However a penalty was applied, in the form of a financial penalty

Had the car remained in the race then some other form of penalty would also have applied
A next race penalty could have been applied, as above

njee20

How do you know?! There's no precedent (indeed the opposite), and I saw no mention of that at all at any point.

The fine had already been applied when you said they were still mulling over a grid penalty.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations