!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 18" Hunslet And Other Colliery Locos  (Read 501 times)

Offline GoodsYard

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
18" Hunslet And Other Colliery Locos
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:42:21 pm »
Hey, there I thought id post this here to not only show my idea of building a 18" Hunslet but to also hopefully hear some potential tips and ideas from some of you lot ;)
My current layout, Claymill Colliery is undergoing construction and I'm in need of some more locomotives to join its fleet of 3, a Grafar Austerity, A kit built US Dock tank and a Minitrix 2f Dock tank.
For this I have decided with the huge amounts of loco bodies I have spare from picking up bad deals on eBay that I will try and make some locos from them, kitbashing them as well as a bit of scratch building them into the prototypical locos you used to see if you'd stroll down to the collieries 50 years ago.

The first of these projects is to build a 18" Hunslet, currently living in Leeds I felt almost obliged to try and create this locomotive as it is one of my favourite locos built in the Hunslet works here. I aim to do this by kitbashing an old grafar holden body into shape.
 This will involve the majority of the body itself being cut away and replaced with something to make the saddle tank. This will then fit onto an old grafar 08 chassis after filing the body into place. SO far I have made some markings for cutting on the Holden and I am currently waiting on the clay to start to sculpt the tank itself. I will update this thread when work has begun on the 18" Hunslet as well as the many more planned colliery engines in the future, thanks for reading and have a good day.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: 18" Hunslet And Other Colliery Locos
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:13:48 pm »
You may also want to start saving some pennies for the NGS 50th Anniversary Hunslet diesel 0-6-0......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36228.msg425431#msg425431

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:19 pm »
I'll be following your progress with great interest. I had plans for loco modelling - and then I got my hands on my first and realised how tiny they are :goggleeyes:. I still have hopes and ambitions but they have been tempered with a great deal of caution.

But there are some fine modellers on the forum and I'm sure they can offer more concrete assistance.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:02 am »
Hi Goodyard,

This sounds like a great project and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

A question though, if I may? Is there any reason why you are using the Holden tank body as a starting point? Looking at the photo you posted, it would seem that either the old Farish J94 body or the PD Marsh kit of the same locomotive would be a better starting point. In the case of the Farish J94 it would appear that if you pulled out the smokebox, shortened the tank to the back of the smoke box, made a new cab, filed the cutouts in the buffer beam and replaced the smokebox (and add a new chimney) you'd be pretty close to the loco in the picture - I don't know how the PD Marsh kit is broken down so this might not be possible with this. The PD Marsh body is for the old Farish 08 which I think shared the same chassis with Farish's own rtr J94.

Just some thoughts, either way best of luck with the project!  :D

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:08:38 pm »
Hi Goodyard,

This sounds like a great project and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

A question though, if I may? Is there any reason why you are using the Holden tank body as a starting point? Looking at the photo you posted, it would seem that either the old Farish J94 body or the PD Marsh kit of the same locomotive would be a better starting point. In the case of the Farish J94 it would appear that if you pulled out the smokebox, shortened the tank to the back of the smoke box, made a new cab, filed the cutouts in the buffer beam and replaced the smokebox (and add a new chimney) you'd be pretty close to the loco in the picture - I don't know how the PD Marsh kit is broken down so this might not be possible with this. The PD Marsh body is for the old Farish 08 which I think shared the same chassis with Farish's own rtr J94.

Just some thoughts, either way best of luck with the project!  :D
To be honest other than the shape of the smoke box on the holden and the fact that I have 5 bodies is various conditions there isn't really a reason for using the holden as the basis, to be honest your idea seems so much more simpler than mine and will probably be the better option but at this time I don't have a spare Farish austerity body so I just decided to go with something that I had a vast array of and matches the same length of the 08 chassis but like I said it will take a while to get a convincing Hunslet tank out of the holden but as it stands currently the holden body has been cut away at, the cab has been shortened and the tanks itself up to the smoke box itself has been cut away leaving the underskeliton which will just need some bits scratch building for it before I can see any resemblance at all to the Hunslet. Photos to follow and thank you for the kind words

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 01:10:27 pm »
You may also want to start saving some pennies for the NGS 50th Anniversary Hunslet diesel 0-6-0......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36228.msg425431#msg425431

I've been keeping an eye on that for a while, looks amazing but it also looks like I've got some saving to do :D

Offline GoodsYard

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:12:51 pm »
Progress has all but almost ground to a stop as the holden tank body isn't going to suit the 18" after all and I must have been letting my over enthusiasm cloud my judgement of chosen body to replicate such a loco. However, I now am going to try my luck with converting the j94 to the 18" as recommended by Atso but I am currently at a loss of finding the Farish j94 body to convert as they are proving rather hard to find.

Offline thebrighton

• N Gauge Society Number: 11588
  • 2mm Association Number: 4483
    • Awards

Offline 5944

• N Gauge Society Number: 9265
    • Twitter
    • My Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 04:24:57 pm »
Progress has all but almost ground to a stop as the holden tank body isn't going to suit the 18" after all and I must have been letting my over enthusiasm cloud my judgement of chosen body to replicate such a loco. However, I now am going to try my luck with converting the j94 to the 18" as recommended by Atso but I am currently at a loss of finding the Farish j94 body to convert as they are proving rather hard to find.
I went for something similar to Atso's method a few years ago, though it got tidied away for a house move and hasn't reappeared yet! Basically I cut off the front of the saddle tank, as the smokebox is a separate plastic moulding. I then wrapped a thin layer of plasticard around the smokebox, and another piece across the front of the tank. The chimney came from, I think, an old Farish GP tank. I cut the bunker off too and made a new one from plasticard. I initially tried cutting the original bunker back at an angle, but gave up in the end!

It was by no means perfect when it got boxed up, but it kinda looked like an 18" Hunslet. Hopefully one day I'll be able to dig it out and finish it off, possibly with a new cab as well.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything