2017 Tour de France

Started by Newportnobby, July 02, 2017, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Interesting thought, definitely not how I saw it, most sprints of that ilk start similarly - no one wants to be the first one to sprint - look at any sprint from a breakaway (ie not the conventional, full bunch, lead-out train jobs). He was clearly very strong, and could've just gone, but why sprint for 250m only to die 50m from the line if no one else is going to try until 150m out?

PostModN66

Cycling the Pyrennees at the moment, we did Col de Peyresourde yesterday which I believe will feature later.  Tomorrow's ride has been disrupted as one of the Cols has been closed for resurfacing.  Flipping TdF spoiling my cycling! ;)

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Newportnobby

Good to see Froome in yellow, but I think he may be hard pushed to retain it to the end.
Don't get caught up in the peloton, Jon! :no: ;)

RichardBattersby

Not a fan of Sagan either and would have liked to have seen Cav go further but suspect he may not have made it anyway, given his illness. But disqualification seems a bit extreme. Who are we to question though!
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

njee20

It seems a little draconian there's no appeal process. Certainly feels like double standards when you watch it back. Demare was far more 'weavy' than Sagan, but got away with it.

Amazing finish today 6mm between Kittel and Boasson-Hagen. If only Boasson-Hagan had put another few psi in that tyre! That said I like Kittel, and he's in my fantasy TDF team, so all good!

Bit hillier again tomorrow, Aru on the charge again? Martin showing his form?

RailGooner

I was gutted to see Cav forced to retire. I thought he was improving nicely - I think he was over the virus and his legs were warming up having cooled while resting through the virus. I saw him getting at least another two stages closer to Merckx. I'm gutted for him.

I don't care about Sagan. Didn't even take any interest in the race for Wed/Thur. :'(

njee20

Sagan's an incredible talent, and a very entertaining rider to watch, but I was certainly willing Cav to pick up a couple of stage wins. Not entirely sure he had it in him though frankly.

Newportnobby

Well! That was all a bit fast and furious yesterday, with various GC riders having to get stuck in.
Dependent on how some survived the stage, today's mountainous stage could blow some big holes in the  General Classification :hmmm:

njee20

Yes, the last climb and descent could prove interesting, I imagine we'll see an attack from one of the strong descenders, trying to put pressure on Froome. Bardet perhaps. Mind you Froome is partial to the odd downhill attack.

Newportnobby

Yeah - he's no slouch when it comes to going downhill fast ;D
He made an epic descent in the Dauphiné that caught many by surprise.

njee20

And in the tour last year. We shall see!

Philip.

Isn't sport unfair sometimes? Richie Porte neutralises todays stage to give Chris Froome chance to catch up after suffering a mechanical and Fabio Aru attacking taking advantage of Froomes mishap, then crashes out horribly descending at 70kmh.

Horrible horrible crash, just hope he's ok.

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Yes, horrific, a real shame for him, and Geraint Thomas out with a broken collar bone. Just not what you want to see.

Amazing that two riders had problems with electronic mechs today as well, mechanicals which just wouldn't have happened 10 years ago!

Crashes aside, an amazing stage though, Bardet taking it to everyone on the descent, and a stellar effort by Uran to get the win whilst stuck in his smallest cassette sprocket!

Newportnobby

Crashes aside, and I believe there were 11 of them today, this stage was one of the most exciting I have seen in years. Normally I'd berate myself for sitting in front of the gogglebox for 6 hours or so but I just couldn't tear myself away from it.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations