!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cemaes Bay  (Read 2682 times)

Online Rowlie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20349
  • 2mm Association Number: 4846
    • Awards
Re: Cemaes Bay
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 10:28:04 pm »
Thanks for the comments on the backscene NewportNobby and Bealman, I hadn't thought of a moveable backscene, as the layout is intended to be portable will try that out, like the idea of change of view  :D.  I do like looking at layouts at platform level so hopefully the end results will be ok. I am going to try out the Dapol easi-shunts on the layout and have decided to try out the magnet method Karhedron developed.  The platform has been stuck down after a few clearance runs with a Class 08, doesn't look too wide a gap with the coaches, wouldn't want the little folk falling down the gap.

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 12:13:21 am »
A few images of the layout

Platform view

From the station entrance end

Bulk of the wiring, one point motor and track supply out of shot.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
Hi,

Just seen this layout. All looking very nice and looking forward to more.

Cheers weave

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 12:05:41 am »
Only progress this weekend has to been buying the bits needed to finish the second board.  This should allow me to finish off the first board's track work and sort out how I will store the layout when not in use.
Also been thinking about the platform surface, Amlwch and other stations on that branch seem to have a paved area two slabs wide (at the most) running the length of the platform and only the immediate area of the station building was fully paved.  The rest of the platform area seems to either be gravel or tarmac, even though I have sieved Woodlands scenics fine ballast with 30 mesh and 40 mesh sieves it still seems too large for platform gravel.  40 mesh is 0.411mm aperture which is around 60mm which I think is fine for ballast but not for a passenger area.  I think I will try glass paper (memories of a woodwork teacher who hated the term sand paper) or wet and dry and see what looks best.
Apart from the station building, I will copy Amlwch and have a ticket collector's office but add a small store further along the platform.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 06:41:23 am »
Fine wet and dry should be good for tarmac.  Fine glass paper could be good for very light coloured gravel.  The size you need for each grain of gravel is 0.07mm, which is equivalent to 10mm gravel.
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 08:32:12 am »
Thanks Innovationgame, I will give fine glass paper a try and see what it looks like painted a light grey. 

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 12:18:16 am »
Well the second board has been built, identical construction to the first board.  This makes the layout 2.4m x 0.3m (8' by 1') and I feel this will be ideal for the moment.  Some spare track was laid out to get an idea of the fiddle yard (four roads).  The head shunt will extend into a private siding to give a little more interest.

As the layout won't be permanently up, I played around with an idea of boxing in the layout using both boards, without the backscene boards, this arrangement is a little flimsy.

Now that the second board has been done, it is back to the scenics on the first board to complete the station and goods yard.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 06:25:03 am »
That's a very novel and sound idea for storing the boards.  It should be robust and give everything plenty of protection.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 08:02:02 am »
A cunning solution!

Online Mito

• N Gauge Society Number: 24863
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 02:26:59 pm »
Put diagonals on the supports. That will make it much stronger when the baseboards are bolted together.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline keerout

• N Gauge Society Number: 21976
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 09:34:39 pm »
... or backscene boards on the long side and a couple of offcuts (board or thin ply) with some fingerholes in the middle for picking-up...
Gerard

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »
Thanks for the all the comments and helpful suggestions, the intention is to use the back scene to stiffen the arrangement, but I will probably change the existing batons for wider ones so that I can get two fixing points per baton.  I am considering arranging the back scenes so that they slot into a baton fixed to the other board.  This hopefully will make packing away easier (less of a balancing act) the ends would then be solid ply with hand holes cut into them.  That will be a weekend activity for the future. 

Online Rowlie

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »
Well, I started on completing the platform and was about to fix the station building when I thought the interior was rather Spartan. Using a few plasticard scraps added the fireplaces for the chimneys, some seating, a bit of furniture for the booking office.  As delivered the Ratio kit has a couple of interior doors which I have blocked off.  Just need to paint the additions and fit to the platform and add the roof.  Not sure what to do with the end room.
Ok it won't be seen again but it's better than an empty shell.

Online Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2017, 07:59:04 am »
This is a super project and is coming on nicely.

I am now thinking about the wiring for my layout and greatly appreciate the photographs you posted showing your very neat wiring arrangements.

Thanks again and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2017, 09:00:55 am »
I've only just found this thread.  I'm going to follow with a lot of interest. 

I think your track plan is excellent - simple, realistic but with just enough to create plenty of operational potential (my layout is a siding short of being interesting).  I also like your baseboard storage method and this has just thrown up an interesting answer to a problem I've just posed in my thread in Layout Planning.

Having read a couple of articles in the latest N Gauge Journal last night I very much appreciate how you are trying to improve the interior of your station building too.  All my current buildings do not have glazed windows and are in some form of low relief.

I think the suggestion to have a removable back scene is brilliant for your purposes although i would be tempted to do away with one all together, neaten the baseboard edges and put a low perspex edging strip - particularly if taking the final product to exhibition.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything