Locked threads

Started by Steamie+, April 24, 2017, 06:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Out of interest, what is the intended goal by locking threads have gone off topic? Is it that people may read one and find it didn't offer anything informative beyond the first page? Do people complain about that?

They do definitely comment sometimes when threads are off topic, the problem is that's quite artificial. Conversation is fluid, people will either just leave a thread (which i guess is the point) or likely carry on the tangeant!

It's not really a case of "stuffing up" George, it appears to be a unified approach, it's obviously conscious, and you do it very well (irritating such as it is). I forget who it was last time we did this said that this forum is like the Prisoner. It appears to be entirely sweet and innocent on the surface, but if you step out of line you're swiftly brought back!

oscar

QuoteI agree George that no one should be speeding and i for one have no time for the idiots that do, 

Steamie, so you have no time for virtually every driver in the world, including yourself?  :bounce:

dannyboy

Quote from: oscar on April 24, 2017, 09:57:10 AM
QuoteI agree George that no one should be speeding and i for one have no time for the idiots that do, 

Steamie, so you have no time for virtually every driver in the world, including yourself?  :bounce:

Nothing personal oscar, but surely it is comments like this that get threads locked.  ??? :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

It's an issue with the typed word. I don't see a problem with that, the emoticon helps, it's clearly a light hearted comment and a nod to the fact that virtually every driver on the road does speed.

But we've gone off topic. Ironically the thread where we could have this discussion was locked for being off topic.

Perhaps we could have a Two Ronnies-esque "discussing the thread that was locked before" forum.

Newportnobby

Quote from: dannyboy on April 24, 2017, 10:01:48 AM

Nothing personal oscar, but surely it is comments like this that get threads locked.  ??? :)

Quite right. Personal attacks will not be tolerated as this goes straight against the 'friendly Forum' ethic. Such posts should be immediately removed by Mods but, in this instance, I'm minded to leave it there to show what can provoke a Mod response. Personally, I don't have too much trouble with folks going off topic (how can I - I'm one of the worst?) but remember the longer the topic is left to run the more opportunites there are for comments like the one from Oscar.
I think any further comment from the Mods should come from @Tank

emjaybee

I dont think you stuff up at all, some mods may be a little over zealous in handling some of the threads, but I'm sure it's done with the best of intentions. I just feel that, especially in general discussions as well as n gauge stuff, you could ease up a bit and make your own lives easier as well as make the forum conversation feel more natural.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

njee20

Quote from: newportnobby on April 24, 2017, 10:11:00 AM

Quite right. Personal attacks will not be tolerated as this goes straight against the 'friendly Forum' ethic. Such posts should be immediately removed by Mods but, in this instance, I'm minded to leave it there to show what can provoke a Mod respone

For clarity NN - are you saying Oscar's comment constitutes a "personal attack"? I'm not seeing that at all.

Newportnobby

Quote from: njee20 on April 24, 2017, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on April 24, 2017, 10:11:00 AM

Quite right. Personal attacks will not be tolerated as this goes straight against the 'friendly Forum' ethic. Such posts should be immediately removed by Mods but, in this instance, I'm minded to leave it there to show what can provoke a Mod respone

For clarity NN - are you saying Oscar's comment constitutes a "personal attack"? I'm not seeing that at all.

For clarity - yes I am. How does Oscar know someone speeds? He has made a purely unsubstantiated comment on a fellow member.

dannyboy

Human nature being what it is, a discussion on a single topic will always have some participants going 'off topic'. Maybe we should all agree to differ. Should the 'Locked threads' thread now be locked  ??? :).  Anyway, enough from me, I have a kitchen to finish painting, (and that is 'off topic'  :smiley-laughing:)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

njee20

Fair enough NN, I'll eat my hat if there's a driver alive who's never exceeded a speed limit! It's about as much of a personal attack as saying "you have two hands"  :D

Bealman

Quote from: njee20 on April 24, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
Out of interest, what is the intended goal by locking threads have gone off topic? Is it that people may read one and find it didn't offer anything informative beyond the first page? Do people complain about that?

They do definitely comment sometimes when threads are off topic, the problem is that's quite artificial. Conversation is fluid, people will either just leave a thread (which i guess is the point) or likely carry on the tangeant!

It's not really a case of "stuffing up" George, it appears to be a unified approach, it's obviously conscious, and you do it very well (irritating such as it is). I forget who it was last time we did this said that this forum is like the Prisoner. It appears to be entirely sweet and innocent on the surface, but if you step out of line you're swiftly brought back!

This is clearly a personal go at me.

But I'll leave it there. Any further issues, please pm either Tank or myself.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

njee20

It really wasn't, stuffing up implies you do something wrong. You do something that I and a significant chunk of the membership base don't like, but you don't do it wrong. It's not just you - there's obviously a mandate among mods to close off topic threads, so it's not an error. No need to look for a personal slur where there isn't one :)

Steamie+

Quote from: Bealman on April 24, 2017, 09:39:44 AM
Thanks, Rod.

In the end it is referred to Tank.

I love this forum and think that generally we have a great mix of lighthearted banter and serious stuff.

But we do sometimes stuff up.  :beers:

George

We all do at some point George, we are human beings, that's what makes us unique isn't.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steamie+

Well it seems a have stirred things up again, sorry George i didn't mean to.    :sorrysign:

austinbob

Quote from: Steamie+ on April 24, 2017, 10:47:12 AM
Well it seems a have stirred things up again, sorry George i didn't mean to.    :sorrysign:
Don't worry about it Steamie - some things are too easily stirred!!!
Time to abandon this thread and get back to what matters.
:NGF: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations