Help! "Word" deletes as I write!

Started by petercharlesfagg, March 01, 2015, 05:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,

I am trying to write a lengthy document using Word 2003.

Whenever I have to amend a sentence/paragraph in the middle, I cannot stop Word deleting the next word as I type a new word!  Eventually I have to re-write the whole sentence/paragraph all over again! :veryangry:

I think it is something to do with formatting but I cannot see anything under the navigation buttons?

Can someone please advise me?

Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Tom U

Depends on your keyboard layout, but somewhere there is a key that selects between inserting and overwriting.
Tom.

scotsoft

Press the "Insert" key, which is next to your "Home" key situated above the arrow keys Peter  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 01, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
Friends,

Whenever I have to amend a sentence/paragraph in the middle, I cannot stop Word deleting the next word as I type a new word!  Eventually I have to re-write the whole sentence/paragraph all over again! :veryangry:

I think it is something to do with formatting but I cannot see anything under the navigation buttons?

Peter.
Depends which version of Word you have. In the later versions with the tabs along the top (e.g Word 2010 and Word 2013)...
Click on 'File' Tab
Click on 'Options' at bottom of list on left hand side
Click on 'Advanced' on Left hand side
Make sure the 'Use overtype mode' check box is not ticked
Click Ok and away you go - I hope!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: Tom U on March 01, 2015, 05:39:16 PM
Depends on your keyboard layout, but somewhere there is a key that selects between inserting and overwriting.
Tom.

Keyboard is HP + KU0136 no key found!

Thankyou, Peter.

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: scotsoft on March 01, 2015, 05:42:44 PM
Press the "Insert" key, which is next to your "Home" key situated above the arrow keys Peter  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

John, pressed "Insert" key, made no difference!  Should it be Ctrl>Insert, possibly?

No, makes no difference!!

Peter.

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: austinbob on March 01, 2015, 05:50:19 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 01, 2015, 05:30:07 PM
Friends,

Peter.
Depends which version of Word you have. In the later versions with the tabs along the top (e.g Word 2010 and Word 2013)...
Click on 'File' Tab
Click on 'Options' at bottom of list on left hand side
Click on 'Advanced' on Left hand side
Make sure the 'Use overtype mode' check box is not ticked
Click Ok and away you go - I hope!!

Thanks but I did say it is Word 2003, there is no "Options" on the "File" tab!

Peter.

austinbob

Quote from: scotsoft on March 01, 2015, 05:42:44 PM

cheers John.

Just tried that John - it doesn't work in Word 2010
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 01, 2015, 05:59:57 PM

Thanks but I did say it is Word 2003, there is no "Options" on the "File" tab!

Peter.

OK Peter then try this to turn overtype mode permanently off
Within Word, click the Tools menu and click Options.
Click the Edit tab.
Click the Overtype mode option to clear the check box.
Click OK.

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

How wonderful it is to have friends like you, here on the forum!

I have just had a wonderful conversation with John (Scotsoft) on the 'blower and we have sorted my problem, well with the "Word" programme at least!

My sincere thanks to all, Peter.

austinbob

Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 01, 2015, 06:17:53 PM

I have just a wonderful conversation with John (Scotsoft) on the 'blower and we have sorted my problem, well with the "Word" programme at least!

What was the fix then Peter? ???

Bob Austin

petercharlesfagg

Quote from: austinbob on March 01, 2015, 06:20:29 PM
Quote from: petercharlesfagg on March 01, 2015, 06:17:53 PM

I have just a wonderful conversation with John (Scotsoft) on the 'blower and we have sorted my problem, well with the "Word" programme at least!

What was the fix then Peter? ???

If I remember correctly it went something like this.
Tools>Options>(Enable or Tick)>Use the INS key for paste>OK. (voila!)

There, I bet I won't remember that in a few days! :D :D

Peter

Bealman

I've actually enjoyed following along with this - sorta like following along with the Phantom comics in the paper every day.  ;D

Now that it's sorted, what am i going to do?

Glad you got it fixed, though, Peter. I guess I shall have to do some railway modelling instead.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

georgehgv

Quote from: Bealman on March 01, 2015, 08:19:54 PM
I've actually enjoyed following along with this - sorta like following along with the Phantom comics in the paper every day.  ;D

Now that it's sorted, what am i going to do?

Glad you got it fixed, though, Peter. I guess I shall have to do some railway modelling instead.  ;)

No just wait for Peter's next posting, I like following his posts there is a sense of similarity to the kind of scrapes I manage to get into.
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations