Should I prioritise flexi?

Started by Ted, September 11, 2018, 11:35:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Hi all,

When laying track for my new layout should I prioritise using flexi over set track, wherever possible?

My assumption is yes because of the considerably reduced number of track connecting points and therefore a much reduce potential for electrical/running issues.

Am I right, or do dropper cables make this a moot point? If so, is going mostly flexi just making life hard for myself?
Just call me Ted, or Edward... or Ed.

Just not Eddie.

Layout & Updates > Midlands Coal & Freight, Late 1980's

Bealman

The electrical issues don't really enter into it.

The use of flexible track allows for sweeping curves as per the prototype, and avoids the train set look.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

As @Bealman says, use flexi track for realism.  As a by-product it does reduce the number of rail joints when used in long lengths.

I use Setrack for things like hidden curves, to avoid the "fun" of trying to get a consistent radius with smoothly curved joints.  I still try and create a transition in and out of the curve using flexi, as you can see here:

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

bluedepot

i would say yes for visible areas of the layout and stick to large or medium points and if you are modelling a mainline then not sharp curves

are you using peco code 80 or code 55?

good luck
tim

Ted

Sorry guys I didn't word my question very well, I should have said I obviously appreciate it's more flexible for slight curves and realism. :)

More thinking about the reliability. After all, every connection is a potential failure - no?

But I guess for ease, fiddle yard can be set track.

Just not Eddie.

Ted

Quote from: bluedepot on September 11, 2018, 12:04:03 PM
i would say yes for visible areas of the layout and stick to large or medium points and if you are modelling a mainline then not sharp curves

are you using peco code 80 or code 55?

good luck
tim

Code 55!

Just not Eddie.

Newportnobby

Code 55 is stronger than code 80 as it is embedded in the sleeper base and so, when being curved to shape, resists popping out of the chairs. It is also marked underneath with arrows showing which direction to bend it in. For sure, flexitrack reduces the number of joins and therefore possible voltage drop but on well laid track, unless you have a huge layout, won't make a great deal of difference. Try not to have a join in a curve. Flexitrack looks better than set track in the main as there are no huge plastic ends to each piece. Many tend to use set track on hidden curves but set track is code 80 and I refuse to mix the two owing to the height difference.

Ted

Ah, am I using the wrong terminology? I just assumed 'set track' meant the set shapes, be they 80 or 55.

That's what I meant, code 55 in fixed lengths (set) or flexi lengths.

Just not Eddie.

Newportnobby

For N Peco do 3 types of track.......

Set track - small lengths of preformed curves and straights plus small points which were originally intended as a 'train set' on a table a bit like Kato Unitrack i.e. you could put it together, have a running session and then put it all away again when the table was required. It is code 80 rail.

Code 80 streamline - flexitrack lengths and various sizes of points/crossings designed for permanent layouts. The rails sit on the surface of the sleeper webbing.

Code 55 'finescale' - flexitrack and various sizes of points/crossings designed for permanent layouts. The rails are partly embedded in the sleeper base, and there is therefore a height difference between code 55 and code 80.

Portpatrick

Peco do describe how to bring code 80 and 55 to the same height.  Basically gently jack up the code 55 so it matches 80 ay the join.  Not difficult.  On my new layout I have done just that in the fiddle years jacking up the scenic  code 55 to the level of code 80 glued to electrical conduit (a cassette approach to the fiddle yard).  But you would not want too much of it.  So if, say, I was doing a continuous layout with curves round to the fiddle yard, I might use code 55 for appearance at the front, then jack it up to code 80 Setrack for the curves and then assuming using Setrack points in the fiddle yard to get maximum siding length and the wider track spacing (makes hand shunting less difficult), use code 80 flexi for the hidden loops.  Sorry if that sounds complicated but hopefully you get the idea.

Ted

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 11, 2018, 12:37:06 PM
For N Peco do 3 types of track.......

Set track - small lengths of preformed curves and straights plus small points which were originally intended as a 'train set' on a table a bit like Kato Unitrack i.e. you could put it together, have a running session and then put it all away again when the table was required. It is code 80 rail.

Code 80 streamline - flexitrack lengths and various sizes of points/crossings designed for permanent layouts. The rails sit on the surface of the sleeper webbing.

Code 55 'finescale' - flexitrack and various sizes of points/crossings designed for permanent layouts. The rails are partly embedded in the sleeper base, and there is therefore a height difference between code 55 and code 80.

Got it. Thankfully I've been using the code55 settings in my SCARM project, so hopefully everything should fit together and be okay! Pretty much all straights beyond 6" are flexi though, with very few set pieces.

Just not Eddie.

Ted

Quote from: Portpatrick on September 11, 2018, 12:52:28 PM
Peco do describe how to bring code 80 and 55 to the same height.  Basically gently jack up the code 55 so it matches 80 ay the join.  Not difficult.  On my new layout I have done just that in the fiddle years jacking up the scenic  code 55 to the level of code 80 glued to electrical conduit (a cassette approach to the fiddle yard).  But you would not want too much of it.  So if, say, I was doing a continuous layout with curves round to the fiddle yard, I might use code 55 for appearance at the front, then jack it up to code 80 Setrack for the curves and then assuming using Setrack points in the fiddle yard to get maximum siding length and the wider track spacing (makes hand shunting less difficult), use code 80 flexi for the hidden loops.  Sorry if that sounds complicated but hopefully you get the idea.

Interesting, is there any reason for mixing instead of just sticking to code55?

Just not Eddie.

njee20

Quote from: Ted on September 11, 2018, 12:28:29 PM
Ah, am I using the wrong terminology? I just assumed 'set track' meant the set shapes, be they 80 or 55.

That's what I meant, code 55 in fixed lengths (set) or flexi lengths.

NN's covered it, but just to be explicit - there is no code 55 set track. Code 55 is flex track only. There is both set track and flex track (aka Streamline) code 80.

Like everyone else I would use flex wherever possible, and code 55 at that. I do have some code 80 points in the fiddle yard, and haven't had issues with raising the height of the code 55 to match it. I can see why people would want to avoid it though.

As to why you'd want to do it - the point geometry is different - there are very short set track points plus curved ones which can be useful to save space, at the expense of reliable running of short wheelbase locos.

Ted

On my design, I've been mainly using:

SL‑E391F
SL‑E392F
SL-E395F
SL‑E396F

These are code55 flex (streamline).

What I did notice is that there seems to be limited stock on many on these, they're not end of life are they - or is low stock just the nature of this industry? Either way, they don't make it easy!

Just not Eddie.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Ted on September 11, 2018, 12:53:45 PM
Interesting, is there any reason for mixing instead of just sticking to code55?

For me, always code 55 on the scenic part of the layout for best looking track, and code 80 in the fiddle yard because I used the code 80 Setrack pointwork as space-savers. If such small points were available in code 55 I'd use it everywhere as it's actually stronger as mentioned by others above. I don't physically join the two different codes, but because my layout is portable the ends simply line up at the board joints.

You can join code 55 and 80 using fishplates, just be aware that you may get a small step in the top of the rails unless you file or squash the fishplate slightly flatter.  It's because the fishplate tends to lift the code 55 by it's middle section.  There's a photo illustrating this on here somewhere.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations