GUVs, Super GUVs and Super BGs

Started by Jim Martin, April 22, 2018, 01:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Martin

Am I right in thinking that Farish have never produced a Super GUV? I know they do / did a GUV in RES livery, but I don't think I've ever seen a Super GUV advertised anywhere.

How dimensionally accurate is the Poole GUV? I'm wondering if it would be a viable starting point for a Super GUV conversion.

Also, is the Super BG up to the same standards as the most recent Mark 1s? From what I've seen, the body has some relief at the tops of the roller shutters, so it's obviously not a printed body, but I recall seeing comments that it wasn't as well done as the current models.

Thanks

Jim
Believe me. These things always have a logical explanation usually

EtchedPixels

The SuperBG is somewhere between the two. It's not as detailed but it's not bad at all.

The old Poole mark 1 coaches are not that bad either as a base. The biggest problems are below the waterline where the entire underframe wants replacing on most of the coaches (I still wonder if Farish planned to do Bulleid coaches because the underframe they have is more like a Bulleid than a Mark 1 ;)).

Above the waterline door handles, wire handrails and the like make a big difference.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Jim Martin

Thanks. I'm planning to model one of the 4-vehicle van sets that were used on the Walsall-Aberdeen contract up to 2007. The Super BG sounds worth getting, so it'll be one of them plus three Super GUVs. I'm going to use the more recent GUV moulding because it has the vents in the body side and I won't have to change the underframe. I'll have to buy some Commonwealth bogies because all the Super GUVs I've found photos of online have them.

First, though, i have to build the Mk1 inspection saloon kit that's been in my stash for about three years!

Jim

Jim Martin

Hi, all

Just a few more questions about the Poole GUV:

Is it a moulded transparent shell with the windows done by printing i.e. essentially the same as the Farish Mk1s after the style with window inserts but before the current Blue Riband separate glazing style?

Following on from the previous question, is the body of the Poole GUV moulded in a plastic which can be scribed without cracking?

Do all of the old style GUVs have pizza cutter wheels, or was there an intermediate stage with the old body moulding, but the finer wheels?

Thanks

Jim

Steven B

The GUV is a printed clear bodyshell as per the later Poole era models.

A few batches came from China (Blue, RES, I/C, Maroon, Green) with better printing and chemically blackened wheels.

Steven B.

crewearpley40

hi this is the http://www.freightonrail.org.uk/CaseStudySecuricor.htm
link

The 'Super BGs and GUVs' were conversions to Royal Mail specifications to enable the vans to carry 'York' containers. The modifications also included the fitting of high security roller shutter doors, steel non-slip floors and a segregated shunter's compartment.

The Super GUVs were first produced in 1993. The Super BGs were first produced in January 1995.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations