Looking for info and help with Farish Class 40

Started by Douglas, March 03, 2018, 05:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

Hi, I'm looking to buy a Class 40 for my layout. Having looked around it seems there are three generations of Class 40 from Farish?

The first generation seem to be from the eighties and Poole made. The second generation, made in China, seems to have been recently replaced by the new All singing and dancing DCC version from China. Is this correct?

Sadly I cant run to the new model, so need to look at the older ones. Im not mad on detail, but I do want it to look like a Class 40. Pulling capacity round tight curves and slow running are important to me. The pics I've seen on Ebay etc dont tell me a lot, and I cant find any reviews on line.

So can anyone who has any of these Class 40s give me their experiences. Also what should I expect to pay for a tidy running example?

Newportnobby

Hello Douglas, and welcome aboard :wave:

Please see the following post:-

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=34597.msg470449#msg470449

From my experience all are good smooth runners, although for some reason my D306 'Atlantic Conveyor' seems to like splitting gears now and then. They will run round 9" radius curves but I'd beware what points you try to run them through (all mine are Peco code 55 small electrofrogs). Pulling capacity has never caused me any issues but I have no gradients so maybe others can inform you better. Likewise I'm not one for buying second hand so can't really advise you what sort of price they fetch.

Douglas

Thanks! Very helpfull

Am I right in thinking that be basic body and level of detail is similar on the 8115, 371-175,371-178, and that the new 371-180 variants are a big step forward?

red_death

Yes the new Farish 40s are a step change improvement on the previous versions.

Rabbitaway

Surprisingly the China built old tool 40s are going for silly money on eBay. Seen a few at £80 to £90, just not worth this sort of money. Even the Poole built ones are expensive.

Unfortunately you missed Model Railways Direct selling the new tool version for £93.

I would wait on further offers on the new tool model or wait for a sensible priced old tool one on eBay

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations