LNER D40 Class

Started by Shiney Sheff, October 14, 2017, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiney Sheff

I am having trouble finding pictures of the said loco in LNER livery, I have found some good ones of it in GNR and early BR, but nothing in LNER.

I am after finding out how it would have been re-numbered at grouping, i.e., did it have numbers on the tender as well as LNER lettering, or were the numbers on the cab side and buffer beam of the engine?

:thankyousign:

Bob

ntpntpntp

google search found these, any use?

OK so the 2nd one's a model, but if accurate then would seem to imply both arrangements were possible?

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

martyn

From Grouping until November 1928, the LNER put the loco number on its tender (if a tender loco, of course!).
From this date, all locos were to be renumbered with loco number on the cab side sheet as they passed through shops; though this restyling did not start until the 'early months' of 1929. Source -RCTS Locomotives of the LNER vol 1.
Volume 4 has the history of the D40s; the change to loco sidesheet numbering appears to have coincided with the change in livery from LNER lined green to lined black for this class. Thus the photos in the previous post are both correct (I know one was a real loco!).

HTH

Martyn

Train Waiting

For information about the D40s, probably the best source is the GNSR Association.  They ought to be able to help with photographic evidence.  During the 1923-1928 'green' period some locomotives had L.&N.E.R. or L&NER on their tenders.  Also in the very early LNER period, prior to renumbering, the suffix 'S' was applied to the GNSR number.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

martyn

Train Waiting;

I agree with what you say; datewise,  the ampersand and full stops were only used from March to May 1923 (L.&N.E.R) when at the latter date the full stops were omitted (making L&NER); then from June 1923, the ampersand was dropped, and the sectional suffix added to the locos original number; then full renumbering (according to the locos original owning company) started in February 1924, and the suffixes dropped on such renumbering. Of course, renumbering and repainting took some time to achieve, so not all locos had all variations, and older liveries could be seen for some time after style changes started.

There are photos in Vol 4 which show D40s, but interestingly, not one captioned as being in LNER lined green-which the class should have been painted in after 1923 and before the 1928 changes. Note that the ex GNR Pacifics had their tender numbers transferred to cabsheets in May 1928 to facilitate tender swaps for the non stop ECML running.

Martyn

Shiney Sheff

Thank you very much guys, exactly the information I need.

Bob

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations