Vuelta a Espana

Started by Newportnobby, August 18, 2017, 09:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Starts tomorrow (19.8.17) and, seeing as we had 8 pages of posts about the Tour de France, I thought as Alberto Contador is retiring after this race we'd have another cycling thread. For those who watch it on ITV4 the highlights of tomorrow are on at 10pm. I can't see Contador winning this tour but hope he stays safe, enjoys it, and goes out on a high.
As ever, such a tour is worth watching just for the scenery if you don't like the bikes.

Philip.

Love the Giro and Le Tour but the Vuelta has always been my favourite. Always seems more friendly and less frenetic, plus I have a soft spot for Spain  :) ;)

I'd love to see one of the Yates brothers have a crack at winning this, they have the talent for sure  :thumbsup:

RailGooner

Gary Burcombe

well the Giro and the Tour were both exciting races this year, let's hope for more of the same please.  I thought team Sky might have let Mikel Landa, rather than Chris Froome, take the lead on this one after his performance in the tour.  It's not easy winning two grand tours in the same year.

Newportnobby

I think Chris Froome stated early on this year his objectives were to win both the TdF and the Vuelta. He was backed up strongly in the TdF by Landa, but Landa has signed to Movistar next year so I guess Sky are backing Froome

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mikel-landa-signs-two-year-deal-with-movistar/

njee20

Makes you wonder what Quintana's going to do. Can't see Landa going anywhere unless he's going to be a GC contender.

Mito

Quintana and Landa are not in the Vuelta this year.
On the 27th La Vuelta passes close to us. The climb to La Cumbre del Sol (Benitachell) is short but very steep. It sorted the men from the boys last year.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

njee20

Quote from: Mito on August 19, 2017, 10:29:57 PM
Quintana and Landa are not in the Vuelta this year

Meant next season if Quintana stays put.

Newportnobby

Any surprises so far?
My thoughts:-

Contador - shocking start but a tough day today saw him come good so maybe it was the illness they mentioned briefly. He's got a lot of work to do, though.

Chaves - one to watch, especially as he has a strong team behind him.

Nibali - surprised me yesterday with a sudden turn of speed but struggled today.

Team Sky - no surprise Froome is chasing every second he can garner, but Gianni Moscon must be the find of the season for the team. Heroic performances so far.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations