!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cerney Keynes - Planning  (Read 484 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Cerney Keynes - Planning
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:53:43 pm »
Ladies and Gentleman, we will soon be arriving at Cerney Keynes.

The Red Line is the backscene.

We are still on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway in 1942-1943, but this time in the fictional village of Cerney Keynes, halfway between the real town of Cricklade and the real village of South Cerney and in the middle of the gravel pits around Ashton Keynes that today make up the Cotswold Water Park.

In my fictional scenario, the railway was originally diverted several miles west to service the gravel quarries, but thanks to lobbying from Cerney Keynes’ most prominent resident Commodore Lord Peregrin DeHavilland St John Ashton RN, 11th Baron of Somerford, Conservative member of the House of Lords, Keeper of the Queen’s Otters, Master and Huntsman of the North Wiltshire Hounds and High Bailiff of the Manorial Court of the Hundred and Borough of Cricklade (known to his chums as Perry), the M&SWJR were “encouraged” to construct a small station in Cerney Keynes in order to assist His Lordship’s swift passage to London for important votes and even more important dinners at The Dorchester.  One can surmise from the fact Perry never made Admiral that he wasn’t the sharpest harpoon in the whaler, but in the First World War he served with bravery at Jutland and Dogger Bank (he thought Beatty was a fool) and he is fiercely protective of his lands, his right to hunt whether on horseback or with gun, his quarries and his workers.  Probably in that order.

So let us take a quick tour through Cerney Keynes.

From right to left or east to west, we first see the track emerging from a copse of trees and passing along a narrow embankment between two disused gravel pits that have now been flooded (not that it takes much rain to flood things around here).  The copse will serve as a hiding place for the track and also the road leaving the village.  This is inspired by following the line of the M&SWJR on Google Maps and how it follows a gentle curve now almost completely surrounded by water whilst going from Cricklade to South Cerney.  I am still researching the gravel pits in terms of exactly when they were excavated, but after seeing the three layers of loo roll method that Al used on The Bridge at Remagen, I want to have a go!

We will see several anglers trying their luck on the banks and a dinghy or two out on the water.  In the middle of the uppermost lake is a small island complete with a folly built by the current Baron’s great Grandfather.  The island will have a small jetty where the Commodore will moor his small steam yacht whilst taking his grandaughters on picnics (their fathers are currently serving RN Officers, one in the North Atlantic and one in the Med, the only grandson has just joined BRNC as a Midshipman.)

Above the uppermost lake we can see Ashton Hall, much modified home of the Ashtons since Sir Hugh of Hull was recognised by King Charles I after the battle of Edgehill.  This will probably be the last thing on the layout as I haven’t seen anything in kit form that I want so may have to scratch build something.  Even writing “scratch build” fills me with dread!

Moving west we find the memorial to the nine villagers who fell in The Great War and we hoped we would not have to add any more names to this terrible reminder of human bravery and sacrifice, but as it’s 1942-43 we are getting news that even more of our brave local boys have fallen whilst serving in Africa with the Royal Wilts Yeomanry (a territorial regiment that left these shores in 1939 and did not return until 1945 after fighting their way up from Africa through Italy, France and Germany).

Then I have a shop and a pub.  Well, the pub speaks for itself but I will have to research what shops may have been there.  I reckon I am thinking 2017 when small villages are lucky if they have a general village shop.  In 1942 there would have been a butcher and a grocer at least?  First layout change coming up!

Moving further left/west we find a nice big long platform compared to Cricklade Station and above that, the village green. This has possibilities for a fairground, cricket, maypole, haven’t decided yet.

At the West end of the green is the Peare Oak, a huge, ancient oak tree from which the notorious Highwayman and local boy William Peare was hung in 1783 (he was actually hung in Salisbury, but he was a local so I invoke rule one!)  To this day mothers and fathers tuck their children into bed, and the reluctant sleepers are warned not to wake up and look out the window at Peare Oak in case you see him swinging there.  And if you don’t see him swinging it’s best to get deep under the blankets, because he has escaped!

North of the green are a few more cottages.  We carry on moving west to find a house and some more cottages and then  top left is the tunnel.

Every layout needs  tunnel! 

I know for a fact that running into, or steaming out of a tunnel is the second best thing that a model train can do.  The first best I hear you ask - well, you already know.  A long train running through an S bend is a thing of unparalleled beauty!

Finally, in the bottom left corner, we have a quarry head.  Most of the quarry is off scene to the left but there will be a few buildings and also the elevator that lifts the gravel up to the doofer that drops it into the wagons (stop me if I’m getting too technical here!)

So there we have it.  The layout will be operated by the 14xx and Autocoach on passenger duties, the A1X Portishead (which is possibly the most beautiful, dainty thing I have ever owned) will shunt her little heart out and the heavy lifting will be taken care of by Broome Manor.  I have found photographic proof of the 14xx and 7800s on the M&SWJR, I just need to see a Terrier passing through having been transferred from the LB&SCR or Southern, and I will be a happy chap indeed.

The layout will be built with Peco Setrack (which I’ve just priced up - wow those points are expensive) but I will be keeping hold of the Kato Unitrack (wow, those points are even more expensive) as it is great kit and I can put it together on the floor and “test” trains!  Also, when I return to Cricklade Station I will use Unitrack and damn the torpedoes!

All comments and criticisms are most welcome.

Graham, on a mission.
"Life is like Sanskrit, read to a pony." - Lou Reed.

Offline port perran

• Awards
Re: Cerney Keynes - Planning
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:03:37 pm »
Thanks for that most interesting back story and description of what will become Cerney Keynes.
I wish you luck with the build and look forward to seeing pictures as it develops.
Good to see you using set track which I use for my layouts and am very happy with.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »
Graham - give me until tomorrow afternoon and I'll have a couple of improvements to offer you.
In the meantime, I don't think your 14xx and Terrier will like set track points but completely understand why you will use them.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:47:13 am »
Thanks Graham

I can see several places where I'm guessing that NPN will recommend modifications. Can you tell me please how big your layout board will be? 

Webbo
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:17:35 am by Webbo, Reason: Error in post »

Online NGS-PO

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:44 am »
Thanks Graham

I can see several places where I'm guessing that NPN will recommend modifications. Two questions for you though. First, can you tell me please how big your layout board will be? Also, I see curved points on the exit from your tunnel. Peco Setrack does not have curved points, but Peco Streamline does. Is the latter what you will be using? If so, then the running problems of the short wheelbased locos will be minimised if you choose the electrofrog option for your points.

Webbo

http://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Peco-ST-45-N-Gauge-Left-Hand-Curved-Turnout-Peco-ST-45.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx5fUuMrJ1QIVhZztCh3nNAqAEAQYASABEgKE2_D_BwE

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 08:13:19 am »
Thank you to NGS-PO for correcting me regarding the availability of curved Setrack points. I was wrong and have modified my previous post accordingly.

Webbo
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:19:36 am by Webbo, Reason: Error in previous post »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:17:47 am »
Like Nobby, I would not use points with insulated frogs.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 12:26:22 pm »
@BoxTunnel

Graham - I have made some small amendments and annotated them. In some cases sidings/loops have become longer and one is now shorter, so it's your choice. I have just tried to remove the sharp 'S' bends where better placement of the points will give better running for your trains. You will note I have used set track throughout my plan so some tracks don't meet up as well as yours, which I suspect contains some elements of code 80 flexitrack. Any road up, see what you think........

Your original plan

With amendments

I'm heading for that darkened room now. Where's the cucumber slices?

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 07:07:08 pm »
NPN

That's a very nice plan indeed.   :greatwork:

Would be fun to build, particularly for diesels and suchlike with no pick-up difficulties on the 'Setrack' points.

My kind of layout!

:thankyousign:

John

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 08:16:43 pm »
I can't accept any kudos for the plan as it's Graham's. All I've done is iron out some points which I believe, if left as the original plan, could potentially cause running issues (I've circled those 2 areas very badly). Unfortunately Graham must try to run his 14xx and Terrier through set track points as any other kind of point would compromise the space allowed so I get completely why they are being used.
My preference is always for code 55 small electrofrog points and code 55 flexitrack.
As you point out, diesels would probably be OK on the set track points but nothing smaller than 4 axles e.g B-B, Bo-Bo. The smaller ones like the classes 03, 04, 08 and 14 would still struggle methinks :hmmm:

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 06:59:57 pm »
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions, and Newportnobby whose small modifications will certainly be implemented.

Webbo - the board will be 1200 x 600mm.  I've press ganged my father into constructing it for me helping me construct it in his workshop on Wednesday.

I am concerned about the comments regarding set track points.  I may have to have another bash at the plan using code 55 as I am definitely sticking with steam and the locos I already have.

In the meantime, my Metcalfe signal box kit arrived this morning, as did the various grades of card for my free Scalescenes coal office, so Saturday evening will be spent swearing at tiny little bits and pieces that my clumsy hands cannot put together!

Offline Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:21 pm »
Graham

NPN and Bealman advised me to use only 'live frog' points.

Since trains have started running on my layout (smaller than your plan) there have been absolutely no electrical pick-up problems at the four points.  All trains are worked by steam locomotives (Union Mills) apart from the Farish GWR diesel railcars.

That was clearly very good advice...

Sorry, I can't help you regarding Code 55, but I'm sure others on the Forum can.

All best wishes.

John

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »
Graham

NPN and Bealman advised me to use only 'live frog' points.

Since trains have started running on my layout (smaller than your plan) there have been absolutely no electrical pick-up problems at the four points.  All trains are worked by steam locomotives (Union Mills) apart from the Farish GWR diesel railcars.

That was clearly very good advice...

Sorry, I can't help you regarding Code 55, but I'm sure others on the Forum can.

All best wishes.

John

Thanks John,

As usual I was being an idiot and didn't realise you could get electrofrog points in code 80, so hopefully most of the plan will remain as is.

The whole electrickery bit is my major worry, but I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually!

Graham.

Offline newportnobby

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:46:31 pm »
Code 55 small electrofrog points (124mm) are longer than set track points (80mm) but the code 80 medium electrofrog points are no bigger than the code 55 small ones (small points are not available in code 80). If you look at the items on the Peco or Hattons websites they give dimensions. The better running and better looks will, I'm sure, reassure you it's the way to go.
I use the SLE391/2F small electros.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:05 pm »
Did I mention in an earlier thread that I change my mind a lot?  I believe I did.

Whilst driving to work last night it occurred to me that the only reason I was considering Peco track was that I could not build Cricklade Station on a 1200 x 600 board using Unitrack, without compromises that I was not prepared to make. 

As you all know, Cricklade Station is currently on hold and I’m now working on Cerney Keynes, which I’ve posted plans for earlier in this thread.  My personal revelation is that as Cerney Keynes is fictional, why am I planning it with Peco track when I have quite a bit of Unitrack already?

As an exercise I fired up SCARM and tried making a layout on  a 1200 x 600 board with Unitrack that I already own.  After a cursory inventory I found that my three points are the larger #6 points not the troublesome #4 points.  Also, the only extra track I would need to buy are the smaller radius curves (already in the post thanks to Mr Traintrax) and maybe the odd straight or two to make it all fit.

This is the resulting plan:

It is not as elegant as the Peco version as understandably the plug and play nature of Unitrack has restrictions, but it should avoid all that electrickery that so worries me, and instead of having to save my money for new track I can use what I have and crack on with the layout.

My Father and I will be building the baseboard on Wednesday, at which point this thread will be moving to the construction subforum, about a year ahead of schedule!

Graham, worried about the speed of life these days.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
August Donations
Military Vehicle 3D prints

Price: £6.50
Date: 01/08/2017 01:11 pm
Time Left: 11d 17h 30m