Oxford Diecast - 2017 deliveries and announcements

Started by woodbury22uk, January 12, 2017, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yet_Another

Quote from: NeMo on June 04, 2017, 01:05:48 PM
That makes some sense, but do collectors really collect N gauge model cars? They aren't particularly detailed and most look pretty generic compared with the model cars produced at larger scales. The 1:76 scale ones have much nicer detailing and the price differential is insignificant, a couple of quid, if that, for the cars. On top of that, the boxes they come in are almost the same size, so it's not like you'd be saving a massive amount of shelf space!

Cheers, NeMo
It's probably more the case that the N stuff is a subset of the larger scales, just to squeeze some more value out of the design work. Are there any N only models in the Oxford catalogue? I haven't checked.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

RailGooner

I suppose I could base a layout on modern day Charlbury, Oxon - quiet countryside 3 HST stops from London means a car park full of Jags with the odd Landie wouldn't be too unrealistic. :D

woodbury22uk

I posted this back in January.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=36008.msg424559#msg424559

Not everything in the N range is in 00/1:76 scale.
Many of the bus models in N are not in the 1/76 range, much to the disappointment of collectors! The Foden lorry is in N only, and the Albion horsebox, the Bedford pantechnicon, and the Dennis fire engine.

I understand that Oxford is still open for commissions for anyone who wants to invest in a surefire winner.

It is disappointing not to see every era and vehicle type catered for, but having participated in getting some 1/76 items produced I am conscious of the volume of work involved. According to OD they are now introducing between 450 and 500 new items per year. Their team is very small, and I am certain that they are keen to find people with the skills needed to expand more. Wish I could complete two new items every working day. Less than one per month is my usual haul! :-)
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Yet_Another

Ah, I apologise - guilty of internet speculation without doing the research!
:sorrysign:
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

woodbury22uk

Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

woodbury22uk

Pre-production shots of the new castings announced last week are in the blog item for 3 June 2017. There are also images of the production models for almost all of the announced items due for delivery over the coming months.

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/blogs/news

For @newportnobby there are some images of the CADs for the future cattle trucks in 1/76 scale. These are further down the blog than the N report.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

gc4946

I can see why there are a high proportion of coaches in Oxford's range compared with buses.

They travelled well out of their main operating areas on excursions. I might buy Wallace Arnold and Southdown examples because the prototypes travelled everywhere!
"I believe in positive, timely solutions, not vague, future promises"

Newportnobby

Quote from: woodbury22uk on June 05, 2017, 02:16:31 AM

For @newportnobby there are some images of the CADs for the future cattle trucks in 1/76 scale. These are further down the blog than the N report.

Thanks, Mike.
It looks too big to get under the road bridge on 'Bletchford' :doh:

Steamie+

Quote from: scottishlocos on June 04, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
Guys
Stobart tanker and Hillman imp are a win for me still no Bedford TK though

Oh the TK, my late Father had a small fleet of 5 of these great Lorries,which he made from flatbeds to side boarded himself, but you are correct with what you say, no TK's only those that seem to be more popular like the Stobarts and others. I would have has many TK's has possible on my layout.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

crepello

I've just seen Hatton's e-mail which has alerted me to the Ford 400E van in BR livery. While this version will be a nice addition to my fleet, hopefully some plain-painted vans will be introduced later. Wikipedia states these 'Thames' vans were produced between 1957 and 1965; the forthcoming Carflat was introduced in 1964, so the 400E will be ideal to represent the flow between  Eastleigh and Dagenham. Great stuff!

RailGooner

Quote from: Steamie+ on June 06, 2017, 07:17:00 AM
Quote from: scottishlocos on June 04, 2017, 11:37:15 AM
Guys
Stobart tanker and Hillman imp are a win for me still no Bedford TK though

Oh the TK, my late Father had a small fleet of 5 of these great Lorries,which he made from flatbeds to side boarded himself, but you are correct with what you say, no TK's only those that seem to be more popular like the Stobarts and others. I would have has many TK's has possible on my layout.     :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, the Bedford TK is an iconic truck. 8) In production for an eternity - 59 to 92 - and it's probably easier to list those enterprises or roles that didn't use it than list those that did!

trkilliman

Bedford TK.
In the mid 60s there was a big council tip not far from where I grew up. In the days before "elf n safety" there was always a number of kids around the site looking for this and that. One T.K.tipper driver would let us ride in the cab and on a few occasions have a go at driving it across the tip. There were loads of TKs around, and as said above they seemed to be around for an eternity. Everyone used them...councils, B.R., contractors,parcel carriers, farmers for cattle lorrys.

I have an Ian Allan bookazine called the Great British lorry. It has a photo taken in 1960 at the Vauxhall Luton plant. The caption says "believe it or not this picture shows the 100,000th Bedford to be built this year"   Not all TK's but I bet a fair old proportion were!

scottishlocos

Guys

My point exactly the army/forces were still using them until recently so they fit into almost any era Oxford already has a range of military vehicles I seen a TK a few weeks ago still in use with a potato merchant!
For a truck its a no brainer but not been done is there something complex or costly in the Tooling?
Oxford are great and any new models un N are welcome

javlinfaw7

Oxford already make the TK in 1/76 so they must already have the drawings .This is one used by a Dumbarton company for display and publicity.
Though the military had some TK most were the heavier looking MK and ML.
Back in 1975 the training centre where I worked had a TK as part of the motor pool, as a government vehicle we did not have to display a tax disc so our driver was regularly being pulled over and had to expain this exemption ,one time after being pulled over twice in an hour he was a bit short with the official who then decided to check the diesel , he was not pleased to find that the lorry was petrol powered

trkilliman

The T.K was also widely used by brewers as a dray vehicle. If you model the 70s when brewing was somewhat dominated by the "big six" brewers, then vehicles of these in their liveries were to be found far and wide. This was due to them swallowing up smaller brewers at an alarming rate.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations