Oxford Diecast - 2017 deliveries and announcements

Started by woodbury22uk, January 12, 2017, 02:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendle

Just ordered 3 of the D-Tec combi trailers. I don't care about the Tesco containers or the cabs for that matter. I'll be mixing and matching assorted containers on the backs of these.

Three's just the start, if I get to do an intermodal terminal, I'll need more trailers.

BTW I got a Train Save Reach Stacker, it's 1/160, I think but looks OK, can't pick up a container though!.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Rabbitaway

Also the containers un-clip from the 1/150 Tomytec trailers

These are nice little models and better than the chunky white metal models

woodbury22uk

Four new releases scheduled for next week:-

NCT005       Citroen 2CV Plum/Custard
NPB005       Commer PB van - London Fire
NSHL02WF  Scania Highline Walking Floor -  Stobart Biomass
NWFA001    Weymann Fanfare coach AEC -  South Wales

This is the first release of the Weymann Fanfare coach.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

woodbury22uk

Hornby Hobbies has raised an additional £12 million in share capital today and plans to use £1.6 million of it to buy 49% of LCD Enterprises, the holding company for Oxford Diecast Limited.

Bedtime reading here on page 132 and post #3281. Sleep well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108082-hornbys-financial-updates-to-the-stock-market/?p=2927234
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

RailGooner

I didn't see that coming. 8)

Quote from: RailGooner on October 03, 2017, 07:48:39 PM
Is this the precursor to an Oxford Diecast buyout of Hornby? :D

trkilliman

I understand that Hornby have made a number of acquisitions themselves in the last few years. Hornby have issued a warning to shareholders, and they have said there will be no knockdown of prices to retailers.

Something seems to have gone wrong for them.

Is there more products than ever out there, so they have been competing for market share?

Have some of their acquistions been expensive to buy, and/or have underperformed ?(IMO Humbrol acrylics are pretty poor, and their varnish has also come in for a lot of flack)

Bachmann have been out shopping for other manufacturers. Maybe Hornby & Oxford joining up gives them both a sense of protection, or conversely a sense of more potential value?

It will be intersting to see how this unfolds, and importantly for us any advantages it may bring.

Interesting times ahead maybe...

Les1952

I had a chat with a couple of Oxford people at Warley and pointed out a Blue (Midland General/Notts & Derby/Alexanders) Lodekka would be a nice model.

It hadn't occurred to them to do it (according to one of the two I mentioned it to) but they have taken the idea on board.

Here's hoping.

Les

trkilliman

That was a good suggestion Les, it would suit those that model this area of the U.K. and also offer a change from Tilling red or green that may bore some.

I like the Lodekka (maybe I'm biased having worked for the Bristol manufacturer until closure)
It's a shame about the models overly thick step on the rear entrance/exit, but i can live with it.

I live in hope that one day a manufacturer will do models of the Bristol K & L types, that preceeded the Lodekka. Like the Lodekka they were in huge numbers throughout most of the U.K.

guest311

Quote from: trkilliman on November 18, 2017, 07:32:21 PM
I understand that Hornby have made a number of acquisitions themselves in the last few years. Hornby have issued a warning to shareholders, and they have said there will be no knockdown of prices to retailers.

Something seems to have gone wrong for them.

Is there more products than ever out there, so they have been competing for market share?

Have some of their acquistions been expensive to buy, and/or have underperformed ?(IMO Humbrol acrylics are pretty poor, and their varnish has also come in for a lot of flack)

Bachmann have been out shopping for other manufacturers. Maybe Hornby & Oxford joining up gives them both a sense of protection, or conversely a sense of more potential value?

It will be intersting to see how this unfolds, and importantly for us any advantages it may bring.

Interesting times ahead maybe...

IIRC some years ago Airfix [ie Hornby] bought the JB models range of 1/76 British military vehicles, a really great range that filled a number of gaps for 1/76 British modellers with the Saracen, Saladin, 105 light gun [two in a pack] and the MK in gs and tactical refueller roles, as well as the 1t Land Rover gs.
needless to say the prices rocketed, and within a couple of years they disappeared from sale.
also, if you now look on the Airfix site, the number of kits seems to have reduced by a large percentage, prices have risen hugely, and so presumably sales are falling.

I do hope that Oxford Diecast doesn't  follow the same route.

trkilliman

A good point. Takeovers do often lead to price increases, or the scrapping of a range of products as they might eclipse your own products sales (the brewing industry is famous for this, albeit a different industry)

When I see Airfix kits and the like I am somewhat taken aback at the price of them these days. Maybe it's a smaller market compared to 55 years back when virtually all of the kids in our class and "gang" were making them? Maybe it's solely down to raw ingrediants and production costs?

With regard to Oxford diecast I suppose it can go one of two ways...increased ranges or reduced. That said with Bachmann purchasing EFE then hornby may want to go head to head in what I feel is a pretty lucrative market.

woodbury22uk

Quote from: trkilliman on November 28, 2017, 10:48:46 AM
With regard to Oxford diecast I suppose it can go one of two ways...increased ranges or reduced. That said with Bachmann purchasing EFE then hornby may want to go head to head in what I feel is a pretty lucrative market.

Bachmann bought EFE out of receivership and have played very cool with a small range of re-liveried items over the ensuing 12 months. Corgi's diecast releases have also reduced dramatically with very few if any new bus castings since the London New Routemaster. Both have suffered at the hands of Oxford Diecast with substantial annual investment in new tooling across 4 different scales, and about 350 new releases/colours per year and 40+ newly tooled items! At its peak EFE was releasing 6 to 8 new items per month with half a dozen newly tooled items each year, so less than a quarter of what Oxford does every year now. Just prior to receivership EFE was only issuing items from stock which were changed from the original release by revising destinations, adverts and registration/fleet numbers, and then offered at a premium price. I am sure that the input by Oxford management to the Hornby/Corgi/Airfix/Scalextric ranges can improve there fortunes, but there will be some product ranges dropped and Hornby is still a long way from being a self-sustaining business. I look forward to seeing how it unfolds over the next 3 years before the crunch decision has to be taken about the merger or not of Oxford and Hornby.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

trkilliman

Ah'....I was unaware that EFE had gone under. Thank you for pointing this out.
I noticed that toy fairs were awash with them so maybe they had saturated the market.   

woodbury22uk

Three new shapes form the deliveries due next week:-

NFDE001     Ford 400E van - British Railways
NSEA001     Burlingham Seagull coach - Wallace Arnold
NXF001       Jaguar XF - Carnelian Red

https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/new-in?constraint=1-148
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34