Class 180 Adelante Kit

Started by G_N_E_R, April 20, 2016, 08:34:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben A

Quote from: davidinyork on May 09, 2016, 08:21:21 PM
True - but a bit different in that you are producing what you know you can sell, rather than taking a punt on a much bigger batch as the larger manufacturers do!

Hi David,

You posted as I was replying but yes, by asking people to pre-order we take the risk out of the model.  I think that the traditional manufacturer-led approach is safe for the immediate future, however, as crowd-funding cannot sustain large numbers of projects and is very much enthusiast-led.

The goal that Mike and I have is to fill the gaps - ie to produce those models that will sell around 1000 but *not* 3000.

These models, we believe, combined with the more popular Bachmann/Dapol "big ticket" items, will make N Gauge overall a more attractive option to someone taking up the hobby, or thinking of switching scales.

cheers

Ben A.

VoyagerBen

Hi Ben,

Would you ever consider proposing a ready to run version of the Class 180 Adelante? Personally because of a lack of my own modelling expertise I'd probably struggle to make the 3D printed model look good enough and I would love a Grand Central set  :D

Thanks,
Ben

acko22

Quote from: VoyagerBen on May 10, 2016, 06:53:26 AM
Hi Ben,

Would you ever consider proposing a ready to run version of the Class 180 Adelante? Personally I'd struggle to make the 3D printed model look good enough and I would love a Grand Central set.

Thanks,
Ben

Ha ha I have already put that forward to Mike and Ben in the past as it shares the same body with the 175s also, so potentially 2 classes out of the same (general) body design.
But I think they both have enough on their plate already!!
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Mustermark

Quote from: VoyagerBen on May 10, 2016, 06:53:26 AM
Hi Ben,

Would you ever consider proposing a ready to run version of the Class 180 Adelante? Personally because of a lack of my own modelling expertise I'd probably struggle to make the 3D printed model look good enough and I would love a Grand Central set  :D

Thanks,
Ben

FGW, one Barbie, one Dynamic Lines for me.  :D

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

PWayman

Ben A

Hello all,

I like the 180s - I see them in Grand Central and First liveries at Kings Cross on my usual commute!

As complete 5-car trains it does seem to be unrealistic to expect Farish or Dapol to produce them - putting them right in our sights. 

But then we thought that about Mk3 based EMUs!

cheers

Ben

Snowwolflair

I'm looking at getting a transfer for the Dynamic lines made up.  It will be done by a company that have previously done other dynamic line transfers so they know what to do.  Not sure of price yet, but it will be cost to make plus 5% of artwork prep cost per five car set.

Mustermark

Hmmm. Tempted by that idea. I rode on the Barbie ones in 2006-8. Dynamic lines would match my HST. I will have resin bodyshells for Lion, Kestrel and Falcon very soon, and 3D printed parts for the Shuttle mobile launch pad, so my workbench is not exactly empty. My wife says I need another project like I need a hole on the head. But when did that stop me?

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Mustermark on May 20, 2016, 12:38:55 AM
Hmmm. Tempted by that idea. I rode on the Barbie ones in 2006-8. Dynamic lines would match my HST. I will have resin bodyshells for Lion, Kestrel and Falcon very soon, and 3D printed parts for the Shuttle mobile launch pad, so my workbench is not exactly empty. My wife says I need another project like I need a hole on the head. But when did that stop me?

You can get a 3D part to fill the hole in your head  :D

koyli55002

SERIOUSLY intrigues by the prospect of the "Dyno Lines" coming out. Dunno about the 180 but it certainly makes the 185 a very attrractive prospect.
Then again, do a chunk of the ECML around the Doncaster area and there we can have 180's in "First Hull Trains" and 185's in "First Trans-Pennine" ?
Hmmmmmm...........................

Adam1701D

Hmm...I might have to invest in one of these for some experimentation after my hols...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Snowwolflair

Shapeways box arrived today and here are the coaches sat on class 170 bogies (no adjustments made.

[smg id=40075 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1405"]

With a bit of fettling here is the class 170 power unit fitted at the correct height in the middle coach.

[smg id=40076 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 1404"]

When I have made all the adjustments I will post close up photographs of the modifications needed to make the class 170 parts fit.
I'm configuring it a s a push pull with the power car in the middle

EtchedPixels

Sweet. I'd always wondered about bashing some 170s into one as I did for the 175 but 3D printing a 180 is nicer still

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Snowwolflair

Quote from: EtchedPixels on May 26, 2016, 09:32:20 PM
Sweet. I'd always wondered about bashing some 170s into one as I did for the 175 but 3D printing a 180 is nicer still

Alan

You have to file back the floor mounting lugs and it just slips in.  The under frame needs a bit more work but nothing extraordinary.

Snowwolflair

STOP PRESS

I have just had a quote for the transfers for the class 180.  They will be 5 coach sets in First Great Western dynamic lines with an alternate name and numbers option for First Hull.  The transfers will include if they are printable, all warning signs, coach designations, door entry panels, ATP panels etc. and anything else that can be seen and can be printed.

I have been given the 2D artwork from the 3D Shapeways CAD master so the transfers will be aligned to this

They will be about £15 for a complete 5 car train. 

I will post a photo of them when they are prepared.

If anyone is interested in a set please PM me as this may affect the number of sets I order.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations