Nelevation - an automatic smart fiddle yard

Started by Caz, September 06, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zogbert Splod

Hi Allen (with an 'e'), Good to get your input to this thread and I am delighted that you are able to make use of the various comments.
Like you, I am no stranger to being barred/booted from a forum (or two).  I tend to say what I think.
Your lift (I'm British doncha know!) is a great idea.  I will give it serious consideration if the price proves to be within my budget.  Your examples of the cost versus quantity was interesting reading.

Thinking about it, 'Nelevator' is easier to vocalise than 'Nlift' would be - OK, Nelevation it is then.

I hope this all works out for you and I wish you all success possible with it.

Regards, Allan (with two 'a's').....
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run (trains) in circles..." etc.
There, doesn't that feel better? 
Lovely!

Planning thread:
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=25873.0

My website: Zog Trains

Run what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law
I may appear to be listening to you, but inside my head, I'm playing with my trains.

MJKERR

Quote from: Only Me on September 10, 2015, 07:00:14 AM48 points at retail would be approximately £432 less track, wiring, £240 approx of point motors and the cost of the wood
Two boxes of flexitrack and 48 points
Had forgotten about the point motors, so add £200
That comes to £500
The wiring is also about the same, three packs cost me about £10
The timber cost is about the same, as support will still be required

MJKERR

Quote from: Nelevation on September 10, 2015, 04:27:55 PM7. Cost. This is the big one. This sounds like a cop out but it is down to volume. If I had to make another one like the prototype it would cost about £3k but all the components are one off and many of them CNC machined from billet aluminium. Nice probably not what you want. If I'm wrong, I'll be very please to make you one! To give and example: The handset cost me £285 with some investment I can get that down to £3.60. The top folded aluminium covers with the Totems on cost £120 each. if I order 20 this cost comes down to £21 each. Its all down to volume. The electronics aren't viable at all if I cant order a minimum batch size of 50. Having said that, If the spec stays somewhere near the prototype, I am confident that we can hit somewhere around the £600 mark. this would be for: kit build, 20 lanes, single level, No track included, Nelevator.
Will no doubt overhear other discussions, and discuss with you myself on Saturday
Sadly vague prices won't make customers, people like to see a price tag, know what they are buying in advance

Sounds like you need to get firm orders or notes of interest (as we call them in Scotland)

Sadly I am now in transit so can't check those dimensions
Ideally, I would need the unit to be mounted on the baseboard surface in order to replace and work alongside my existing fiddle yard
However, if the cost comes down considerably I could order several units and replace the entire fiddle yard (again)

£600 is certainly comparable to a fiddle yard which can hold 20 full size trains
However, I note track is not included
This needs to be clarified

scruff

I'm definitely interested and following this discussion with avid interest..

Good luck with this venture Allen.

Cheers
Mark

MJKERR

Just as an aside, the vertical element appears to be a plastic enclosure
Therefore even if someone accidently knocks the baseboard the stock should not become displaced
However, if it does removal could be fun

Equally, the plastic enclosure will protect stored stock from dust, and reduced further by covering the open ends

Yet_Another

Just to inject a note of facetiousness, am I the only one who thinks it sounds like a lift for elephants?

Great idea, by the way.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

G_N_E_R

Sounds amazing! Just need the "track" clarified for me as I'm a simple soul but can definitely see a use for this!

Newportnobby

Quote from: mjkerr on September 10, 2015, 05:05:20 PM
However, I note track is not included
This needs to be clarified

Possibly owing to the variety of track makes required by different folks :hmmm:
The dimensions could be a sticking point as the height above baseboard level would dwarf smallish layouts and the width being set at 1400mm would not be enough for those requiring long trains i.e. more than loco + 8 coaches :-\

red_death

Quote from: newportnobby on September 10, 2015, 09:33:00 PM
the width being set at 1400mm would not be enough for those requiring long trains i.e. more than loco + 8 coaches :-\

Haha - I made the same point to Ben as I pointed out that you couldn't fit a Pendolino set in  :D. Ben assured me that the length would be customisable!

Cheers, Mike

Caz

I'm sure I've read somewhere that the modules can be made up to any length, short or long as the extrusion allows the trays to quite long without any droop, so if you've got the money a 14 coach train or so would be possible.   :)
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Newportnobby

What I was really getting at is that the potential variety of sizes folks would be interested in purchasing would possibly negate the ability for Allen to buy certain components in bulk and would thus keep the cost to the customer relatively higher than the 'best guesstimate' of £600.

MJKERR

Quote from: newportnobby on September 10, 2015, 09:33:00 PMPossibly owing to the variety of track makes required by different folks
The dimensions could be a sticking point as the height above baseboard level would dwarf smallish layouts and the width being set at 1400mm would not be enough for those requiring long trains i.e. more than loco + 8 coaches
Apologies, I appreciate there are different types of track
It is the connection method and how this is established
I plan to have full DCC and detection, and if only the powered track is connected then I would lose connection to all the other stock

I have two options, depending on how variable the storage length is
I can retain the longer tracks for full length HST
The middle tracks can then be replaced by the storage device, which forms the majority of the loco hauled trains
Equally, with Glasgow Queen Street the maximum train length is typically 6 coaches
The shorter tracks can then be used to store DMU and locos

georgehgv

Quote from: Only Me on September 07, 2015, 05:22:51 PM
Quote from: jpendle on September 07, 2015, 05:11:57 PM
Hi Guys,

I think this really exciting, just thinl of the possibilities if he can develop it a little further.

I have a large home layout but I struggled to find enough space for gradients to allow a 20 bogie wagon freight to go up to the higher level smoothly.

How about a Nelevator were the train enters one end and then gets raised to the next level and then exits from the other end, suddenly we could have layouts with multiple levels but no steep gradients or helixes to get the trains up and down.

Course the biggest issue is that I don't think an 11 coach Pendolino will fit :D :D

Regards,

John P

Maybe you'll see one at Tings! ;)

If this happens it will break Maurits  :-[
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

Ben A

Quote from: mjkerr on September 10, 2015, 09:44:54 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 10, 2015, 09:33:00 PMPossibly owing to the variety of track makes required by different folks
The dimensions could be a sticking point as the height above baseboard level would dwarf smallish layouts and the width being set at 1400mm would not be enough for those requiring long trains i.e. more than loco + 8 coaches
Apologies, I appreciate there are different types of track
It is the connection method and how this is established
I plan to have full DCC and detection, and if only the powered track is connected then I would lose connection to all the other stock

I have two options, depending on how variable the storage length is
I can retain the longer tracks for full length HST
The middle tracks can then be replaced by the storage device, which forms the majority of the loco hauled trains
Equally, with Glasgow Queen Street the maximum train length is typically 6 coaches
The shorter tracks can then be used to store DMU and locos

Hi Mike,

I think this is exactly the sort of modeller feedback Allen is after.  As he explained, at the moment he is at the stage of wanting to optimise his product for the "mass" market.

I am not sure about why the height is an issue - the Nelevator would have your layout's name printed on, and is intended to display the trains at the same time.  If you actually don't want to see it I guess you could just have a higher backscene?

cheers

Ben A.

MJKERR

Quote from: Ben A on September 10, 2015, 09:55:48 PMI am not sure about why the height is an issue - the Nelevator would have your layout's name printed on, and is intended to display the trains at the same time.  If you actually don't want to see it I guess you could just have a higher backscene?
The layout is U-shaped and runs round the walls of the room
However, the fiddle yard cannot be any lower, there is a structure underneath it, so the lift will need to be mounted on to the baseboard

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations