Started by Caz, September 06, 2015, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nelevation

Quote from: Chetcombe on September 22, 2015, 06:30:39 AM
Quote from: Nelevation on September 21, 2015, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 21, 2015, 04:39:51 PM
Quote from: Nelevation on September 21, 2015, 04:28:00 PM

Regarding cost, I am working hard on the BoM

I guess now is as good a time as any to advise you avoid free postage :no: ;)

Yes indeed! we've had enquiries from New zealand, india and Germany. Free postage would be difficult. cheers.

We overseas folks don't mind paying postage so long as the VAT can be deducted :D But you will have to build your business up to a certain size before you can do that for us...

Regardless, I for one am very interested. As others have said it innovates both from an aesthetic as well as a space saving perspective. A quick question: what power source do you plan to use? In other words will those of us using a wimpy 110V AC have problems?
[/quot

Thanks for the question and interest in the product. You will be fine with the power supply provided which gives a 12v DC input to the system. Cheers Allen

georgehgv

Nelevator will be at the Peterborough Show this weekend, another good reason to visit on Saturday or Sunday.
I am hoping to get there and have another awe inspiring demonstration now that Geominster is part way through modification to fit the gem.
Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Latest Youtube video is here.

https://youtu.be/x50gYil5tAs

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=30850.0

georgehgv

Plenty of interest at Peterborough for this great product. Looking forward to receiving my order so I can progress my layout.

Another house move despite "never again" has given me a second floor layout so Geominster Mainline & Heritage Line will be modified and enlarged with siding storage.

My Facebook Diary is Geominster if anyone wants to view it please ask, it is a private group requiring acceptance, thanks.

This then is my third version modified which has been improved from previous efforts and lessons learned.

Geominster was my first project which has now been dismantled. Having learnt so much from  previous Geominster projects this is the latest one.

Les1952

I took a good look at this at TINGs and then looked at how much it would cost me for the next layout.

I need to store 14 trains in each direction.  That means TWO Nelevation units side-by-side. (£1700 or £1900 rounded price)

Sadly I'm not made of money.......

Les

georgehgv

How much for fiddle yards for that lot then by  comparison?

And the rent for the storage room?

Sprintex

Rough estimate for points, motors, and flexitrack about £900 :thumbsup:

I'd rather have the numerous tracks and fans of points any day, looks more like a train yard ;)

Paul

Les1952

For mine- no motors, and the layout will be no wider.  Cost therefore is just £300 for the points and whatever the streamline in between them costs- two trains per siding if I use the whole layout length.  Maybe a maximum outlay of £500 spread over a few months.

The current layout has only ONE motor in use at a show, the Dapol signal on the front.  All points out front are wire-in-tube and the ones in the yard are worked by the magic finger- digital control at its cheapest and most reliable.

As to width, the new layout will be 33 ins wide, like its predecessor.  It will live in my shed and travel in a Citroen Picasso, like the current one does- two operators, all bags and all stock travel in the car with the layout.  How much extra space would I need in the car to package up two Nelevation units?

Les

25901JFM

Having seen this mentioned elsewhere on the NGF, I have been seriously considering this as an option. It will be a major space saver and will give me greater train storage capacity than a conventional fiddle yard in the space I have available.  Fortunately I am slow at getting my act together and have not started on a new layout since moving home last December. So I can easily incorporate it in to my plans if that is the way I choose to go.  It ticks all the boxes for me so far, yes it may be expensive, but it is a piece of precision engineering both mechanically and electronically.  Like all products it will be of great use to some and not others.  The statement "you can't please all of the people all of the time" is very true! 

georgehgv

Quote from: 25901JFM on October 24, 2015, 04:36:06 PM
Having seen this mentioned elsewhere on the NGF, I have been seriously considering this as an option. It will be a major space saver and will give me greater train storage capacity than a conventional fiddle yard in the space I have available.  Fortunately I am slow at getting my act together and have not started on a new layout since moving home last December. So I can easily incorporate it in to my plans if that is the way I choose to go.  It ticks all the boxes for me so far, yes it may be expensive, but it is a piece of precision engineering both mechanically and electronically.  Like all products it will be of great use to some and not others.  The statement "you can't please all of the people all of the time" is very true!

It is very cost effective but factor in the space you save and certainly in my case I can show my trains in an attractive display unit without getting them dusty, at last someone who actually has a positive attitude.

Les1952

Cost effective?  Debatable- it depends what you compare it with.

Gives a display case for a home layout?  Yes. 

Saves space in a home layout?  Yes.

Portable and exhibition friendly - not to put on a 10 foot by 33 inch roundy-roundy that travels by car.  Note I need the 33 inches not just for the fiddle yard width but for a manageable radius at the ends.  The system would theoretically take 9 inches off the layout depth but leave me with 9 inch curves on the inside.

As an exhibition manager of a small show I have to keep costs down.  So do others in my position.  If the extra travelling space needed to prevent this system being broken in transit changes a layout like mine from "fuel for cars" to "van hire plus fuel" then it makes it less likely I can afford to have that layout at my show.  Generally a OO roundy-roundy needs a van and an N-gauge one doesn't.  This is why N-gauge roundy-roundy layouts get more show invites than many of their larger brethren.

Horses for courses.  This system is fine for a home-based layout but not for me.

Les

Agrippa

This is a sophisticated and complex piece of gear.
wot happens when it goes wrong.........?

Just a thought,,,,,,,
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Sprintex

Quote from: Agrippa on October 25, 2015, 12:28:25 AM

Replacement bus service :laugh:

Paul

red_death

Folks

If it is not for you that is fine! I wonder why the need to post negatives though!

I think Alan and team accept they can't provide the perfect solution for everyone but in general my view is it looks great.

Cheers Mike

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Sprintex on October 25, 2015, 12:30:51 AM
Quote from: Agrippa on October 25, 2015, 12:28:25 AM
Replacement bus service :laugh:
Paul
In an Alternate Universe where other laws apply I pressed the"LikeIt" button, , ,

but here in this Mbrane I have to add to the length and say
:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

MalcolmInN

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations