Farish 2015/6 range announcement..

Started by scruff, March 01, 2015, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottyStitch

I would suspect the latter. While there is evidently plenty room in the market for two manufacturers producing 66s, iand (arguably at a stretch) B1s, t's hard to say the same for the J72. It would suggest that Farish are hoping there's is first/better than Dapol's?

Dr Al

It's perhaps hardly surprising that Bachmann have announced the J72 - after all it was their very first OO loco in 1991. One could even stretch to say that Dapol were a bit stupid choosing it in that respect - there was always a high chance that Bachmann would shoot it down to N when it's OO retool came around - we know that's Bachmann's general policy to make efficient use of their R+D.

Maybe Bachmann have some inside info on the progress (or lack of) of the Dapol model and feel they can get to market first?

I would hope if Dapol haven't actually started on the J72 yet that they consider switching to another LNER tank prototype - there are loads to choose from that will sell equally well - J50, J52 for example - there's room in the market for plenty more prototypes rather than too much duplication.

Either way I'm looking forward to getting a little J72 from one (or maybe even both!) manufacturers!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Hailstone

Quote from: Dr Al on March 03, 2015, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: Karhedron on March 03, 2015, 08:49:29 AM
Slightly peeved at Farish, they have known for months that Dapol are working on this so why pick the same prototype? If they want to do another tank engine, how about an N gauge version of the 94xx they have just announced in 00?

The reason for the J72 is obvious - they are also revamping their OO one so presumably are doing the R+D in parallel for both scales which makes sense. I suspect Bachmann might beat Dapol, as Dapol seem to be struggling to do much these days - there are so many models ahead in the queue at Dapol that still haven't appeared.

Will be interesting to see (if both models are produced) which is superior. Farish now definitely have the superior motor IMHO with their coreless can, but Dapol tend to still be more consistent with wheels and quartering (still a weak area on many Farish models). Might be a difficult decision........

Maybe a 94xx will come, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until the 64xx has been done in case there are common components they can use from it.

Cheers,
Alan
I doubt that will be the case as both wheelbase and wheel diameters are completely different

Regards,

Alex

Dr Al

Quote from: Hailstone on March 03, 2015, 12:37:36 PM
I doubt that will be the case as both wheelbase and wheel diameters are completely different

Not my area of experitise, but I'd have thought there'd be some - buffers? Dome? Safety valve bonnet?

Out of interest I wonder if Farish just think the 64xx will be a better seller? After all there are literally thousands of old style 94xxs out there; whereas the 64xx is something we've never had?

Of course Farish actually missed the boat when it came to Panniers - I'm sure they'd have preferred to have a 57xx in their stable before being beaten to it by Dapol's version.

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Hailstone

Not even that much Al, buffers only! the 94XX has a boiler mounted safety valve, and no dome - as for the 64XX firebox mounted safety valve, most of them ended up in Wales, but some went to Devon (Laira had 7) and 1 (St Blazey) and maybe more in Cornwall.
I agree with you that Farish waited too long to upgrade their pannier, but I have several of the Dapol ones and they definitely get better the more track time they get.
I hope that Farish will upgrade the 94xx to at least the level of the Jinty, as there were quite a few of them in Devon & Cornwall.

Regards,

Alex   

Karhedron

I agree, the 94xx also suffer in that they are barely GWR locos at all, only the first 10 were completed before Nationalisation. The 64xx is new and different and suits modellers from the mid-30s onwards. Dapol's 48/14xxs have been consistently good sellers so I can see Farish's logic in doing another flavour of auto-tank.

I believe you are right about the 5700/8750. I have heard that they had this in their sights when Dapol pipped them to the post.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dr Al

Quote from: Karhedron on March 03, 2015, 01:09:51 PM
I believe you are right about the 5700/8750. I have heard that they had this in their sights when Dapol pipped them to the post.

It was an obvious one for them - seems like every GW line needs one just about, and they certainly seemed to sell shedloads of the original Poole version.

Cheers,
Alan

OwL

Let's just summarise here (before the kettles 'explode')

New modern locos: class 40
New steam engine: J72

Everything else: repaint of existing models.

Rolling stock: Not worth mentioning.

The above Summs up the Farish announcements.

Let's not knock it. Let's just say thanks to Farish.

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Brooksy

Quote from: Only Me on March 04, 2015, 12:48:33 PM
Prices have appeared here...

http://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/New%21-Graham-Farish-2015/Locomotives/

Nearly £180 for the weedkiller train..

That's just the engines! Coaches are around £40 and tanks about £30, I think. Makes it all pretty pricey.

EDIT: Darn, Only Me editted his post to include this info.

Gyppy101

scruff

I noticed that too.. I just hope it isn't true and its another foul up otherwise I'm going to be relying on you guys for food donations! :)

Cheers
Mark

Karhedron

Slightly disappointed to see that the 3-coach Bulleid set does not represent a saving over buying the 3 coaches separately. :( I suppose getting the set number on the end is a nice bonus.

I have been planning to get a short set of bulleids at some point but there is a still a resounding absence of anything to haul them. I keep hoping the Dapol light pacifics will turn up but there is still no sign of them. I am thinking a Merchant Navu would be overkill for a  3-coach set.  :uneasy:
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Dorsetmike

You could use the UM T9 at the head of a 3 set, you would also see them behind ex LMS 2P and 4F on the Zummerzet and Darset, the Dapol Q1 is OK, also any BR class 2,3 or 4 tender or tank.

If/when the N class arrives that will also do. Or you could get 2 sets and use an MN.

An M7 with an empty stock working. You could also see Bulleid sets with loose coaches, Maunsells, Bulleids or  BR Mk1s; a catering vehicle and an open might be marshalled within the set.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

SD35

Quote from: ScottyStitch on March 03, 2015, 09:51:31 AM
A re-tooled 40 has been near the top of wish-lists for a number of years now, and so I'm sure they will sell bucket loads of them.

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Zakalwe

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on March 02, 2015, 10:03:32 PM
Quote from: Zakalwe on March 02, 2015, 09:27:22 PM

I'm going to quote this for the total truth it is

so long as a colas class 70 is on the way... if not rabble rabble rabble

I assume you mean a Class 60 in Colas colours otherwise your comment is rabble rabble rabble !!

no i meant class 70 so rabble rabble rabble to the barricades !!1!!!!1!!
"I just think people overvalue argument because they like to hear themselves talk."

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations