Split gear woes

Started by 1936ace, April 19, 2014, 03:20:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

I'm keen to check out the 2mm group and very interested in the metal gears like my flieschmann locos
Just want my locos back up and running so I hope it's not too hard a task to retro fit the gears
Bart

1936ace

Email sent off to Bob Russell for the parts. Just have to put it all back together and im not feeling too confident about either as its a little bit out of my comfort zone.
Bart

GeeBee

Bart,
If I can do it I am pretty sure you will have no problems, to date I have change class 44 and class 47,s a bit daunting at first but after that fairly straight forward.
Regards
Graham

1936ace

Hi all
Since it was still under warranty I thought I would write to graham farish about replacement spare part.
Immediately got e automated reply but I'm still awaiting a reply from their technical section as advised in their email.
It has been a while, is this normal from them.
Bart

Chatty

Bart

It depends.  I have had correspondence with them to obtain OO parts (not mine, I hasten to add - repairing them for someone else) and they can answer pretty quickly but also it has taken a day or two.  I guess it depends on the workload at the time.

Usually they are pretty good.  Dapol on the other hand...maybe I shouldn't go there.

Kind regards

Geoff
Have you hugged your locomotive today.

1936ace

Hi
Still would of thought I would have got a reply by now since it has been two weeks since I first wrote
Bart

1936ace

:D
OMG!
Must admit have been a bit lazy in getting around to ordering the parts i need, been distracted by son hospital stay etc.
Well to my surprise the postie dropped off a parcel today and it was a full set of geared axle wheels for the 46.
Totally happy what great service and a surprise as since I had not heard from bachmann I thought I would be getting the parts myself.
Still have to get the 24 gears, I know br lines are out of complete unit but I did really want to have a go and replace just the gear and as I can't seem to find any stores that have them I might have no option but to attempt to do it myself
But I'm happy my 46 is back on the road, and thanks to bachmann for their warranty.
Bart

RussellH

Quote from: 1936ace on July 30, 2014, 02:06:07 AM
Still have to get the 24 gears, I know br lines are out of complete unit but I did really want to have a go and replace just the gear and as I can't seem to find any stores that have them I might have no option but to attempt to do it myself
Bart

Hi Bart
Contact bachmann for the class 24 gears - its a current model and theres more chance they wil have them. Which gears does it need?
Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

1936ace

Hey russ
It's the gear on the axle
Bart

RussellH

Hi Bart

Is that a 16 or 14 tooth? If its a 16t then a gear from a spare axle from your peak is the same if that helps?

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

1936ace

Thanks mate
I'm told the class 24 has a 14 tooth gear on its wheel axle.
Bart

AJB

I'm glad I stuck with Minitrix. Years of trouble-free running (from the 80's) and certainly no split gears!  :claphappy:

Bealman

The Minitrix mechs are great, but my fleet of Minitrix locos (same timeframe.... 80s-90s) have all thrown traction tyres. However, I still love 'em.... only N gauge locos with actual wire handrails back then!!  :thumbsup:

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

1936ace

anf the same quality must be said of fleischmann. I have a fleet of steam locos incl my first loco mum and dad bought me as a kid 30yrs ago. All metal gears and not an ounce of care or maintenance and they all run as good as the day they came out of the box.

Thats why they cost 2 to 3 times the price here

Bart

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations