Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

:veryangry:
Just thought I'd test I few more locos to see if its the grade and not the 5mt
Out of the box my 46 now has the same drama as my 24
No issues in 3 yrs and now 2 in a month
Bart

Bealman

I've got a drawer full of locos with split gears, Bart. One of these days I might get round to tackling them!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chatty

Its all to do with the lunar eclipse.   

Have you hugged your locomotive today.

Bealman

longbridge

Quote from: 1936ace on April 19, 2014, 03:20:46 AM
:veryangry:
Just thought I'd test I few more locos to see if its the grade and not the 5mt
Out of the box my 46 now has the same drama as my 24
No issues in 3 yrs and now 2 in a month
Bart

And that is the reason I wont buy anything bigger than an 0-6-0 steam loco on my proposed British N gauge layout, if I had split gears on say a Merchant Navy I think I would give the game away, this should not happen in this day and age.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bealman

In all fairness, my drawer full are not new models. I'm talking 1980s-90s Poole stuff.

1936ace

Off to work now so have not had a chance to have a good look

Should I replace just the dodgy gear or all of them and I guess br lines is the best option for parts

Bart

Dr Al

Quote from: 1936ace on April 19, 2014, 07:59:37 AM
Should I replace just the dodgy gear or all of them and I guess br lines is the best option for parts

Replace just the failed one. There's no point in replacing the others. Also, just replace the gear on the wheelset (£1 - GF2504) rather than the full wheelset (like £3) as it's far cheaper - there's nothing wrong with the wheels after all.

Buy a few spare gears and have them in stock just in case another goes at some point, then you can change it out quickly.

Cheers,
Alan

Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

1936ace

Hi Al,

I know it probably has been said elsewhere before but is it usually the gear on the axle that goes or is it one of the in between gears.

And are the same gears used on other locos or are they all different tooth sizes

thanks bart

Dr Al

Quote from: 1936ace on April 19, 2014, 12:27:45 PM
Hi Al,

I know it probably has been said elsewhere before but is it usually the gear on the axle that goes or is it one of the in between gears.

And are the same gears used on other locos or are they all different tooth sizes

thanks bart

Gear on the wheelset axles. Check the offending bogie carefully (sometimes it can be a bit of dirt/grit/ballast stuck between teeth), find the wheelset in question - the gear may move easily sideways along the axle, a tell tale sign that it's split, or you may even be able to see the split.

16 tooth GF2504 gears are used on the wheelsets.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

EtchedPixels

The modern gears go too although somewhat less often. If anything it is much more of a problem because the 57, 42 etc have wheels that are unique to the model so its a lot more hassle to sort out.

The idler and drive chain gears are not all the same between models. There are not many types. There are a few gotchas including one or two cases where the correct gear depends upon the year of the model. Thankfully Bob at BR Lines is a mine of information so will tell you from the year of the loco which is needed (the coloured dots on the Poole chassis give the year)

Or you could move over from the dark side. The 2mm fine scale drop in replacement diesel wheels have metal gears on them!

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

1936ace

Hey Alan,

i thought as n gauge modellers we were on the dark side :NGaugersRule:

With the metal gears are they all metal like the fleischmann stuff or is it just the axle gear
BArt

EtchedPixels

Quote from: 1936ace on April 19, 2014, 12:41:01 PM
Hey Alan,

i thought as n gauge modellers we were on the dark side :NGaugersRule:

With the metal gears are they all metal like the fleischmann stuff or is it just the axle gear
BArt

You *are* on the dark side .. I said move *from* ...

They are all metal except for some kind of thin insulating glue in the assembly.

The steam locos are different - no drop in wheels but the wheels themselves are metal including a half axle. The two half axles then fit into a plastic muff which can also carry a gear. Very similar to the way Bachmann *years ago* fixed the split gear problem on their US models. However in the UK we're apparently not worthy of such basic consideration  :veryangry: :veryangry:

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

1936ace

Great another secret group to join Nicole will start to get suspicious
Bart

Bealman

This is all interesting stuff, and it's OK Bart - the 2mm Association ain't all that secret.... in fact I'm sure they go out of their way not to be! I am not a member, but an admirer of their work from afar, so to speak. (Especiallly Fence Houses, my home turf!!)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations