Disaster has struck

Started by 1936ace, April 23, 2015, 12:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1936ace

Mid morning on Tuesday a massive storm swept across where I live near Maitland hunter valley. Bigger then the 1955 flood people are telling me. Anyway while I was on a chainsaw attending to the neighbours trees that blew over the previous night the skies opened up an a massive wall of water came straight towards our house. Nicole yelled for help and by the time I had ran up from the back paddock water was already in the garage and about to go thru the house. The force of the water tossed ride on mowers around like they were match box cars. I live on s hill but wow. For over an hour we fought to keep the water at bat or at least reduce the impact using gear of my vintage Dennis fire engine and pool covers to make a levee but then this massive rain dump was just too much. The river went they my garage thru the train room and thru the back rooms of my garage
My train room is ruined. I lost all of my tools soldering stations etc not too mention my trains.  My peco wagons although drowned in flood mud should be ok.
fingers crossed it will be ok when the insurance assessor turns up in the morn
But as always there are so many who lost their entire homes and most still no power. We had a genset so good and hot showers were great.  Our homes has been a bit of a motel for those without and no that out power has come back on my genset is at a neighbours house
As with every disaster it's great to see everyone helping each other out
Bart

Bealman

Bart, that's awful!! We have had bad weather and flooding down here in Wollongong, but nowhere near as bad as that!!

I saw the houses getting swept away at Dungog on the news, and thought, 'they always cop it worse in the north'

All the best, and please keep us informed, or by pm to me, please?

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Mustermark

Bart, I'm very sorry to hear that. It sounds frightening.
Glad you and your home are ok. Very sorry about the layout.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

1936ace

Thanks guys. The main line to Brisbane run near behind my home and about 5 minutes up the road its a total wash away. Dungogs not far away and to see the damage. Maitland is one big pond. We have had so many stories far worse then mine. I know the main white goods that are ruined are an easy fix but I was totally gutted when my garage "went under". It's a big tools and toys wondeand and getting in there today to clear it out and then the train room and opening up drawer after drawer to see wet locos was sad. But our main home is ok slightly damp but fine and at the end of the day the family is safe and some toys got wet
Bart

Bob Tidbury

So sorry to hear of your disaster maybe the Locos will dry out after time in the summer but as you say at the end of the day they are only boys toys and if the insurance pays out they can be replaced at least you and your wife are Ok and as you say the house isn't too bad .
Still very bad news though,
Bob

petercharlesfagg

Aaron, I feel sure I write for many by saying that we cannot begin to imagine the disaster or the aftermath.  I feel sure that everyone wishes they could be around to help even if it is to help dry things out!

Please keep us informed of developments.

Regards, Peter.

For those who need better information:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-32407859
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Newportnobby

Very best wishes for getting everything sorted out, Bart.
The main thing is everyone dear to you is safe.

REGP

Bart

A bit of a shock for you and the wife I know but at least you are both OK and hopefully insurance will cover most of the damage.

Here's hoping you can sort out the mess with ease and get back to normality ASAP.

Can't help with the locos but have a few spare Peco wagons if you are in need.

Ray

d-a-n

Very sorry to hear this - I was very relieved to hear that you and your loved ones are well though, it's also great to see people helping others out - good on you  :)

sparky

That's awful...many years ago my grandmother lived in a small ground level old people's bungalow in South Wales close to the river ebbw when I was no more than 14/15.. that was subject to a flash flood and was 4ft high in water in a matter of minutes...hopefully you will be able to replace the toys through your insurance but as others have said the most important thing is you are all OK..

Geoff

So sorry to hear about your house getting flooded with mud and water Bart, I do hope you and your fellow neighbours can getback to norm ASAP, take care and all the very best.
Geoff

GroupC

I can only echo what previous people have said, it sounds completely awful and unimaginable. Makes you realise how ineffectual we are really if the elements do decide to turn on us. I'm sure all your NGF friends would agree that we'll do whatever we can to support you over the coming weeks, even if most of us are a long way away.

Good luck with everything.

1936ace

Hi all
Today's off to a better start. We have power!
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and to ray for the offer of the peco wagons
Just on radio they have said high at maitland(the main street in town)water level is starting to rise, I guess the water from up the valley has started to make it's way down here. Nicole is going into work the shop today hopefully no stick damage
Apparently we are supposed to get another Storm this weekend. At least we will be prepared this time round(home made sandbag curtesy of the pillow cases)
At work I'm sure I will be pumping water or similar as Sydney is just as bad
Airing out the shed found my ngs inspection car. I think it's the best weathering job I've scene looks totally natural although it look like someone has wash the insides out😢
More stories every hour of lucky escapes or people worse off
Anyway back to the clean up
Thanks again everyone
Bart

Webbo

My sincerest condolences to you Bart. And, I hope that you get things back on the rails literally and figuratively before long.

As most of us here in Australia have come to realise especially after the last few years, this is a land of drought, floods, and fire. Here in Canberra we had a bushfire that destroyed 500 homes in 2003, a flood in 1971 drowned 7 people in my suburb, and we had the drought 2002-2010 that may not have killed anyone directly but ruined lives. This doesn't help you, but at least you can be assured that the rest of us understand your plight.

Webbo

trainsdownunder

Hi Bart

Glad to hear you're all okay - bummer about the trains :( . Guess you have some well weathered stock now!

As Webbo said we live in this land of extremes and so often hear of others plight from storms, bush fires etc, but it doesn't stop the worry about friends across the states. The pictures I've seen on TV probably don't do justice to the real nightmare of living through it.

Been caught in a flash flood once - terrifying is all I can say.

Stay safe and fingers crossed that the second storm does not bring similar damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations