Indication of new posts.

Started by D1042 Western Princess, June 17, 2015, 06:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D1042 Western Princess

Just a question; to indicate a new post has been submitted you show a 'clear' lower quadrant semaphore signal.
To indicate no new post has been submitted you show a signal at danger.

My question is 'Why?' Should not the signal at danger indicate 'stop' (and read) while the signal at clear indicate no need to stop as there are no new posts?

It has always puzzled me since I joined why the indications are the opposite of what, to me, logic dictates.

Thanks for reading,
Greg.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Sprintex

Seems perfectly logical to me:-

Stop - no point going any further, nothing new to read.
Proceed - into this section as there's new information.

:thumbsup:

Paul

D1042 Western Princess

Thanks for answering Paul; maybe it's because I am a Swindon man and we in GWR territory always did things better than the rest, er, sorry, I mean 'differently to the rest', of course!  :-[

:D

Tank

The way I saw it was 'red' for no need to enter that board and read it, and 'green' that you can enter to read something newly posted. ;)

PostModN66

Fascinating - I have never noticed these signals at all, never mind seeing significance in their aspect!

Guess I wouldn't make it as a train driver!   :worried:
Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Tank

That amazes me! ;D  However, I do notice that members do see things differently on the forum, and some things do go unnoticed or are 'ignored' by their eye.  Perhaps I'm more aware as I put them there?!   ;D

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: PostModN66 on June 17, 2015, 07:32:24 AM
Fascinating - I have never noticed these signals at all, never mind seeing significance in their aspect!

Guess I wouldn't make it as a train driver!   :worried:

To be honest Jon, reading signals correctly is, how can I put this, somewhat important for a train driver, guard and platform staff too, so I imagine you are correct.  ;)
A railway career would probably be short term in your case!

:sorrysign:

Agrippa

I just thought the signals were there as decoration because this is a railway
type forum , similar to the locos parked at the top of the page.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Agrippa

PS in each section there are two columns on the left side with little
squares in them, the purpose of which l do not know....... ???
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

PostModN66

I recently discovered a little box at the right hand side that takes you straight to the new post - previous to that I was having to scroll through each thread from post number 1 to get to the latest post!   :doh:

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Sprintex

Quote from: Agrippa on June 17, 2015, 08:15:01 AM
PS in each section there are two columns on the left side with little
squares in them, the purpose of which l do not know....... ???

First column:
1, 2 or 3 pages indicates popularity of the topic. If there's a little face as well it's a topic you have posted in. Other possible symbols here are an arrow for 'thread moved', a padlock for a locked thread, or a 'pin' to indicate an important topic that is pinned to the top of that section (a 'sticky' thread)

Second column:
This is just a symbol selected by the OP of the thread to give a general impression of the tone of the thread - 'pages' for an information topic, 'smiley face' for happy, 'grin' for joking, etc.

Paul

railsquid

I don't think I ever noticed the signals either. Not that I actually look at the main forum page much.

While we're on the subject, is there any way to get an overview of recently active topics (not posts)? The "show unread posts" links at the top of the page show unread topics (not posts), however once I've read one it disappears from the list and sometimes I want to look at it again but can't remember what it was called, which makes it hard to find.

There is the "Recent Posts" summary towards the bottom of the forum main page but this actually lists the most recent couple of dozen posts, and so posts made more than a couple of hours ago will drop off anyway.

Bob Tidbury

Where are these signals I can't see them at all .
I often wonder what some of the other things are for but don't touch them in case I loose something ,I'm  a complete idiot on all things computer and IPad related.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bob Tidbury on June 17, 2015, 10:42:46 AM
Where are these signals I can't see them at all .

Bob - if you start on the 'Forum'  page you will see the semaphore signal in the left hand column, although it might be different for tablet users :hmmm:

Bealman

Click on forum near home and help & FAQ and you should see the signals.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations