W class tank

Started by exmouthcraig, February 27, 2018, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exmouthcraig

Good morning,

Ideally I fancy a couple of W class tank locomotives on my layout. Yes they were death traps apparently BUT there was a couple of them used for a bit of shed work and shunting where we're modelling.

Unless I can get a 3d print designed and built (not something im capable of) what are the reasons for not using BR Class 4T as a renumbered equivalent?

W class had 2-6-4T with 3' 1" pony, 5' 6" drivers and 3' 1" trailing. 90T weight. 44' overall

Class 4T had 2-6-4T with 3' pony, 5' 8" drivers and 3' trailing. 86T weight. 44' overall

Are there MASSIVE differences between boiler size and will be noticeable straight away OR with renumbering would it be hard to tell the difference? ??

exmouthcraig

YES!!!!There are MASSIVE differences between the two  :sorrysign:

So I will have to stick it on the dream list like my 18 BoB and WC

:censored:

Dorsetmike

If you feel brave you could maybe use a Farish N class, keep an eye peeled for a suitable tank  cab and side tanks among Ebay spares and repairs listings. Otherwise a 3D print to fit the N class chassis.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

exmouthcraig

Thanks Mike,

Hmmmm  :hmmm: we have 3 of the farish N class. They are absolutely brilliant chassis. Think id cry butchering one. So if thats the way to go I now need to just to work out 3-d printing a body for it  (like that's 10mins work) :doh:

Bob G

You all know how i like anything southern (why did i say that in a Lousiana accent. Yee Hah!)

Well i have a Fowler 4F 0-6-0 waiting for an N class tender to become a Maunsell Q class.
And that would leave me with an N class 2-6-0 powered chassis...
I'll have a W too, if it helps :)
No where is Alex Rockey when you need him... Or Mr Atso.

Bob

Southerngooner

Hi

I had exactly the same thoughts regarding a W a few months back as I bought an N in SECR livery very cheaply and wondered what I could do with it. I chatted to someone in the know to get ideas on a guide price to do the 3D work for a body to fit the N chassis, with a rear bogie from a 4MT or maybe in brass. The estimated costs just for doing the 3D work and producing a master from which resin castings could be made was over £750. When you then add in the cost of producing the resin body, maybe an etched rear bogie, fettling, etc. you would be looking at around £45 - £50 for a body kit.

I am happy to determine if there was enough interest to go ahead via this forum. I haven't done any more due to other commitments but would be interested in producing a body kit IF I could find someone to do the 3D work to a good standard. I could certainly do with a couple for "Brickmakers Lane"....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

CarriageShed

There's a chap on the 'other' forum who prints 3D for N gauge and seems quite interested in producing more, even loco bodies. Might be worth dropping him a line to see what he says. His site is here: http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/

exmouthcraig

Well I think I can justify 2 or 3 so is there someone who can help us find someone to make us a damn good example rather then a representation of them?

The N chassis is perfect on dcc at crawling so we need a body to match the precision of that.

Failing this can we remake the Z to work on the new farish 8F chassis? I'd have multiple numbers of each but prefer the look of the W

Southerngooner

Thanks for the contact. I have emailed rue d'etropal and await their response.

As a guide, how many people would be prepared to commit to buying one or more should I get things moving? PM me if you are interested!

Dave
Dave

exmouthcraig

Bob G

I'll have one.
it would save me selling a perfectly good N chassis :)
Bob

CarriageShed

They're a little bit too late for me so I'll have to stick with my Class Z.

dodger

Would it be possible to use a modify a Farish N gauge body and chassis as they were built from uncompleted class N kits supplied to Woolwich Arsenal. The boilers were identical.

Dodger

Southerngooner

I looked at modifying a Farish body, but when you look at how good the detail is on that and then think about how good you could make the revised front footplate and cab/tank/bunker assembly.... 

I didn't think I could make something that would look as good and thought it would stand out as being grafted on. But if you are a skilled modeller or are not worried about the overall finish then it could be done as in general the bulk of the boiler/chassis is broadly the same, apart from minor differences in wheelbase and also the tapered cylinder block.
Dave

thebrighton

I investigated building one a while back but the stumbling block was the very prominent steps that cover the valve gear. There is no way you could omit them but the width of 'N' over the cylinders make them a problem unless you were happy to build it over wide which would threaten passengers on platforms ;) .

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations