What's your model railway phobia?

Started by silly moo, November 19, 2016, 12:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstone

Landscaping - I can build locos, coaches wagons and buildings, but have no feel at all for landscape at all

Regards,

Alex

silly moo

Like Chetcombe I have an airbrush. I got it out last week to repaint a jinty. Time spent spraying model = 2 minutes. Time spent setting up, mixing paint, testing, cleaning and putting airbrush away = 1 hour.

I don't really have a phobia about using the airbrush it's just all the set up that gets me down. It's only worthwhile if you use it quite often. Weathering powders are so much easier to use.

railsquid

Quote from: Chetcombe on November 20, 2016, 01:12:18 AM
I bought an airbrush over 2 years ago for the weathering of my rolling stock. I have taken it out of the box a couple of times to marvel at the splendid engineering quality and even attached it to a mini compressor once to see how the two seamlessly fit together...

But as far as putting a grimy paint color into said equipment and wafting it over my expensive rolling stock... Complete paranoia I'm afraid :dighole:
Yeah, that's something well down the list of things I could bear thinking about. Not that I have an airbrush anyway.

paulprice

austinbob

I bought an airbrush over 2 years ago for the weathering of my rolling stock. I have taken it out of the box a couple of times to marvel at the splendid engineering quality and even attached it to a mini compressor once to see how the two seamlessly fit together...

But as far as putting a grimy paint color into said equipment and wafting it over my expensive rolling stock... Complete paranoia I'm afraid :dighole:
Oh... Its not just me then.
Still it seems a shame to spoil the beautiful shine on my lovely airbrush. Its as pristine as the locos I'm supposed to be weathering!!
:) :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Webbo

Quote from: NeMo on November 19, 2016, 02:28:09 PM
Quote from: Jerry Howlett on November 19, 2016, 12:46:55 PM
Ballastitis !

Ah, my particular diagnosis is Ballastitis Pointsiensis Notworkinganymorea.

I did find that one particular medication, Kato Pharmaceutical's Unitrackicillin, 20 mg/day, worked nicely. The only side-effect was a certain lack of respect from older modellers.  :hmmm:

Cheers, NeMo

I hadn't appreciated that whether one thinks Kato is the bee's knees or otherwise was an age thing. As an older person, I think respect should be earned rather than demanded and that applies to layouts as well. Certainly, there are many fine Kato layouts.

Webbo

Chris Morris

Quote from: austinbob on November 20, 2016, 08:16:58 AM

Oh... Its not just me then.
Still it seems a shame to spoil the beautiful shine on my lovely airbrush. Its as pristine as the locos I'm supposed to be weathering!!
:) :beers:

Go for it. Models look so plastic without weathering. Just use a thin mix of weathered black (or similar) and a few light coats. IMHO the best weathering is not noticed by viewers.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Topcat

Airbrushtitus? I have to put a things in a box to paint when ready I do the lot still comes to 20 mins staying and and hour to get out set up clean and put away.

Bob Tidbury

I am the exact opposite of Hailstone my phobia is buildings and wagon kits ,not the Peco type but the what I call complicated ones like chivers and mill lane or even the NGS kits,  scenery I love doing .I seem to get on OK with that but mu buildings and wagons NEVER COME OUT SQUARE.

Bealman

I don't have an airbrush either, but it has alway seemed to me that they'd be a right pain to clean up.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Chris Morris

My weathering is just a dirtying of the roof and bogies which is fairly simple with an airbrush. I think it takes the plastic look away.

Before

After

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chetcombe

Quote from: Chris Morris on November 20, 2016, 09:20:31 PM
My weathering is just a dirtying of the roof and bogies which is fairly simple with an airbrush. I think it takes the plastic look away.

Before

I have to try it - I can't believe how your weathering makes the detail on the bogies 'pop'. Thanks for the encouragement!

After

Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

steve836

Quote from: railsquid on November 19, 2016, 11:28:11 PM
Curses, since writing that I've been rumbled by the Mrs and am now divorced and penniless living under a bridge.

Bridge?  you're lucky, when I was a lad we only had a culvert :no: :P
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

railsquid

Quote from: steve836 on November 21, 2016, 02:53:59 PM
Curses, since writing that I've been rumbled by the Mrs and am now divorced and penniless living under a bridge.

Yeah, well back when I was a kid the people who lived in culverts were the posh ones. We used to dream about a culvert, living in as we did a pothole in the middle of an A road.

austinbob

Quote from: railsquid on November 21, 2016, 03:09:18 PM
Quote from: steve836 on November 21, 2016, 02:53:59 PM

Yeah, well back when I was a kid the people who lived in culverts were the posh ones. We used to dream about a culvert, living in as we did a pothole in the middle of an A road.
I also used to live in a pothole when I was a kid but the Council filled it in.... but I don't think they do that any more!!  :no: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations