Australia National Day

Started by NinOz, July 01, 2016, 02:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NinOz

For all the Ozzies on here.
Don't forget that Saturday is the national sausage sizzle and lamington day. :claphappy:  Get there early before they sell out.
There is an online guide to finding and selecting your sausage.  http://www.electionsausagesizzle.com.au/

Regards,
CFJ

PS: Apparently, while there, we are expected to select which loonies we want to misrepresent us.  There was something recently about it on the telly.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me  >:D

I'll be voting for the sausage  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Komata

So many decisions, so little time: perhaps you should become an outpost of New Zealand....    :angel:
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Bealman

Flying into Christchurch Monday lunchtime, buddy!

Serious. Holiday in the snow.  :thumbsup:

jonclox

Quote from: Komata on July 01, 2016, 08:54:41 AM
So many decisions, so little time: perhaps you should become an outpost of New Zealand....    :angel:
:doh: I thought they were   :-[
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Bealman

Komata

jonclox; They are; it's just that their colonisation is being done so stealthily and quietly they aren't aware of it....

Softly softly, Catchee Aussie...

(Linguistically, this is exactly what is happening BTW...:) )

NinOz

Any Ozzie caught saying "Piggy us down at the pug pin" will be summarily executed.

For those who speak English, it translates as "Peggy is down at the pig pen".

Couple of years ago:
Southern NZ bus driver/tour guide to bus load of Ozzies " He named the farm "Piggy Dale" after his wife.....(insert lots of laughter and comments)........ Piggy".  Even more laughter and a puzzled look from the driver.

Ozzies love "Poluce Tin Sivin", lots of laughs. :P
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Komata

NinOz

You forgot 'Fush and Chups' :), but then there are the Oz linguistic delights 'Seeeeeedneeee', Savs, Bottle-Oh's and all the rest....

Seriously though (yes, it does happen), Linguistically 'Strine' (you'll know what I'm talking about), is on the retreat, as NewZild' is making its presence felt in WA and Queensland; a 'pincer movement' if you will. Because of my involvement with language (as a teacher) , it's fascinating to observe.

jonclox

Quote from: Komata on July 01, 2016, 11:10:38 PM
jonclox; They are; it's just that their colonisation is being done so stealthily and quietly they aren't aware of it....

Softly softly, Catchee Aussie...

(Linguistically, this is exactly what is happening BTW...:) )
:thankyousign:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Jimmy77

The Aussies certainly take their BBQ's seriously  :) Just south of Sydney Kingsford Smith airport, waypoints SOSIJ SIZZL:

Jon898

I'm not a pilot, but apparently this is fairly common.  Airplanes approaching Newark International Airport in New Jersey toward the northeast will cross either HOWYA or DOOIN. Louisiana has RYTHM, Kentucky has BRBON and Massachusetts has BOSOX. Kansas City, Mo., has SPICY, BARBQ and RIBBS. The (US) FAA says it creates memorable fixes to improve safety by making it easier for pilots to remember instructions and avoid flying the wrong route. Who's going to forget HOLDM near Las Vegas? On the way to Nashville, expect to fly near HEHAW.  I'm sure there are many more...

Jon898

Quote from: Komata on July 02, 2016, 08:19:23 PM
NinOz

You forgot 'Fush and Chups' :), but then there are the Oz linguistic delights 'Seeeeeedneeee', Savs, Bottle-Oh's and all the rest....

Seriously though (yes, it does happen), Linguistically 'Strine' (you'll know what I'm talking about), is on the retreat, as NewZild' is making its presence felt in WA and Queensland; a 'pincer movement' if you will. Because of my involvement with language (as a teacher) , it's fascinating to observe.

Going to college in London next to "Kangaroo Valley" (i.e. Earls Court) an invaluable book was "Let Stalk Strine" purportedly compiled by Professor Afferbeck Lauder.  It had such gems as "Airpsley Fair Billis" which was explained as commnly used in the phrase "Airpsley Fair Billis weather we're heaven today".  Strangely, we had a student nicknamed "Aussie John" who had never been out of the country and actually hailed from Essex.

As far as Aussies and Kiwis, I was told once by one of the latter that the only difference was that "we wanted to go there".  Now I'll duck...

Jimmy77

Quote from: Jon898 on July 05, 2016, 03:31:39 PM
I'm not a pilot, but apparently this is fairly common.  Airplanes approaching Newark International Airport in New Jersey toward the northeast will cross either HOWYA or DOOIN. Louisiana has RYTHM, Kentucky has BRBON and Massachusetts has BOSOX. Kansas City, Mo., has SPICY, BARBQ and RIBBS. The (US) FAA says it creates memorable fixes to improve safety by making it easier for pilots to remember instructions and avoid flying the wrong route. Who's going to forget HOLDM near Las Vegas? On the way to Nashville, expect to fly near HEHAW.  I'm sure there are many more...

One of the best ones I think is the approach into KPSM which if you follow the full procedure all the way to the missed approach point it reads ITAWT ITAWA PUDYE TTATT IDEED (think Tweety Pie)

Bealman

To all Aussies on the forum, hope you have a great day tomorrow.

All the best for Australia Day 2017.  :thumbsup: :beers:

George

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations