!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: what are people doing on their layout right now  (Read 307232 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: what are people doing on their layout right now
« Reply #2805 on: September 30, 2018, 06:28:39 pm »
Nothing for the next fortnight,  as we have our Broadland model railway club show Next Week.  However plans are afoot for singling the main line and branch line,  it's 1964 and Beeching  is having an effect...

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #2806 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:04 pm »
Iíve spent my evenings this week doing my first metcalfe kit. Iíve been through the whole range of emotions. I wasnít enjoying it at first but once I got into it I have thoroughly enjoyed it. Iím certain thereíll be more in the future.

I took the time to paint the edges and line the inside with black card and light it up which was worth the effort I think;

Iím not sure that the picture does it justice and the lights may need dimming a little with resistors on the final layout but Iím very happy! I still have Ēbuilding BĒ to do but Iím waiting for some smaller cable as thereís not as much space and the cable I used here was just what I had and itís a bit over-kill.

Itís amazing how the time passes when Iím doing things like this!
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2807 on: October 04, 2018, 07:50:05 pm »
May I suggest that you paint the led's with Tamiya clear yellow, which would both tone down the brightness but also simulate older style tungsten filament lights.

Regards,

Alex

Offline T-TRAK_Andrew

• Awards
« Reply #2808 on: October 05, 2018, 04:59:25 am »
I'm watching acrylic gloss medium dry ...

Always learning, from both wins and losses.
My Model Railway blog: http://ttrakandrew.wordpress.com/
My FlickR Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/85896932@N07/

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #2809 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:48 am »
May I suggest that you paint the led's with Tamiya clear yellow

Thanks for the tip. Iíll remember this for another time. I canít get to them now but itís a great idea. Depending how the finished layout ends up I could cut in from the back (unseen side) if it doesnít look right.

Regards
Paul

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #2810 on: October 05, 2018, 07:54:24 am »
I've used SMDs to light several Metcalfe and other buildings with reasonable results.

Taking advice from those that know much better than I, applying a 1K ohm resistor to each SMD makes a noticeable difference to the output. The photo here shows the buildings. I didn't need to use paint other than black to reduce the upward glare on the factory wall-mounted lights.

Digital cameras on 'auto' mode often try and compensate for lower ambient light levels so a photo can show the lit areas as a bit too bright. At some point I'm going to try some more shots with manual settings.

Dave G

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #2811 on: October 05, 2018, 10:47:52 pm »
I got building ďBĒ finished tonight. I modified the floors to allow for a light to be inserted and removed. This will give me a chance to experiment with lights like the colouring and resistors suggested above.

I modified the platform on this building as I want it to be more of an office block beside the small factory. Iím happy with how the steps turned out.

I think Iíll also make a new front door to stick over the top of the green double doors above the steps.

Edit; Iím not sure it comes across in the photo but as itís an office block and the layout will be a night time scene I blacked out some of the windows.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:49:56 pm by Pjlons83 »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here