Uk's smallest junction stations.

Started by Jollybob, August 30, 2018, 06:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jollybob

Hola Amigos,

Can anybody help me? I'm trying to do a bit of research and get a bit of inspiration for my next layout.
I'm trying to find examples of very small junction stations in the uk. Looking on the internet is quite scarce and I was wondering what other people know?

Regards

Rob.  :)

port perran

Just a couple to start this off at opposite ends of the UK.

Georgemass Junction in the far North of Scotland (for Wick & Thurso).

St Erth (here in Cornwall) for the St Ives branch.

There are lots more which others will come up with.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

crewearpley40

par for newquay

newton abbot for paignton

bletchley for bedford

one meant georgemas junction where inverness to wick / thurso services split / joined

carstairs many years ago where services split for glasgow / edinburgh

dingwall for kyle of lochalsh

cycletrak9

You don't mention an era or a region but Yelverton [GWR] had an interesting track layout

jpendle

OK so I'm assuming steam era.

Lostock Junction near Bolton (the old version).

Wigan Wallgate, actually on the L&Y mainline to Liverpool, but still pretty small.

Blackrod, with a branch to Horwich and the Loco works.

And just for fun, a large junction with no station, Crow Nest Junction near Hindley where the L&Y from Liverpool diverged as a 4 track mainline junction with the Main to Man Vic heading through Atherton, the 2 track line to Bolton, p;us the branch to Blackrod, of course the modern layout is greatly simplified.

Regards,

John P

Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Yet_Another

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

LeftToMyOwnDevices

If you're looking for really small, there is Dovey Junction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dovey_Junction_railway_station

...which is also GWR.

I have memories of passing through it on a Blue DMU, with my head of the window, wondering how small it was, even then... :goggleeyes:

Charles.
"Underground, Overground: Our friends Electric"

Chris Morris

Quote from: crewearpley40 on August 30, 2018, 06:46:21 PM
par for newquay

newton abbot for paignton

bletchley for bedford
Newton Abbot is a shadow of its former self but I still wouldn't rank it as a small station.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

crewearpley40

hellifield

was on a train eralier in the year heading to cornwall, just noticed the paignton service - is it a medium sized station

Shropshire Lad

In steam days Wellington in Shropshire was a smallish station, two through platforms and a bay,which served three lines.

Dorsetmike

Any particular area or period, since Beeching a lot of small branches have gone including the junctions where they left the "main" line; I can remember 5 within less than 15 miles of Bournemouth, plus 2 short private standard gauge branches serving potteries and clay workings connected to the main line.

The branch joining Ringwood and Christchurch closed in the 1930s; West Moors where the line from Salisbury joined the Brockenhurst - Ringwood - Wimborne line went in the 60s, as did Broadstone where the Somerset and Dorset line joined the Wimborne > Poole and Bournemouth, the line from Broadstone to Hamworthy had been singled in the 1930s then closed in the 60s, Hamworthy Junction survives, the branch going down to the docks is freight only.

Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

GScaleBruce

Swinton, South Yorkshire. Plenty of through services - freight and passenger - as well as local trains.
Bruce
My DB themed layout - Steinheim am Main My BR themed layout - Stoneham Yard My T-Trak module - Güterbahnhof Friesdorf
My SNCF modelling thread - Gare de Ligugé My layout planning thread - Peterhampton Junction

martyn

Melton or Roudham, both ex GER?

Martyn

Newportnobby

Quote from: crewearpley40 on August 30, 2018, 06:46:21 PM
bletchley for bedford

I would never have considered Bletchley as small from what I remember but maybe time has taken its toll and all the carriage sidings, loco shed etc have gone. If so, it would be a shadow of its former self, Chris

crewearpley40

mick for sure. never sure if the original poster was asking about a particular era or general, we all have our own personal memories

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations