Farish Bahamas

Started by RichardBattersby, February 18, 2012, 09:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichardBattersby

I preordered Bahamas and when it eventually came the box was cracked, so I sent it back. I got the 2nd one home today and started to run it in. The driving wheels of the loco seemed to catch on something or have high friction so that they would stop and this happened in both directions. On closer inspection, on one side, the top section of the coupling rods (sorry, don't know what it's called) has too much motion so that the rod itself spins round when it shouldn't and catches on the body. I've sent them an email to see if I can get a 3rd. Has anyone had a similar problem.

Also, I wanted to change the pony truck for the one with scale wheels but after changing and screwing in, the rear two of the four wheels catch the plastic bits that attach to the 'brakes'. There is only one hole so I haven't attached it wrong but it just doesn't work, not even when travelling in a straight line - is it for if you just want a static model?
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Newportnobby

Oh heck, Richard. I just ordered one today so will see it early next week. I hope I have better luck (gulp)
As far as I know the correct scale front bogie is purely for static display purposes for those who put things like this in glass cabinets and never use them ???

RichardBattersby

I know! I truly hope that you get a good one, I'm sure you will. On a positive note, when the wheels didn't stick, it ran very nicely, great at at slow speeds and looks the part too.

Oh is it? I wondered but thought it couldn't be true, seems crazy. I wouldn't have thought enough people do that to make it worth Farish putting them in as standard. I'd rather have a couple of pounds off the price.

Good luck!
Richard

davieb

hi everyone  :wave:

i have had one since the middle of december and it is an excellent runner  :thumbsup:

yes the motion did lock up from time to time so i did what they did with the real thing "oil the pins"
now the only time they stop is when the track starts to get even slightly dirty so it reminds me it's time to clean the rails  :smiley-laughing:

i havn't tried the replacement front pony truck yet so can't comment on that but the only one that the replacement truck has worked on that i have had was my royal scot but that went up in a flash & cloud of smoke  :o

bahamas was actually a replacement for that loco as the shop didn't have another scot in at the time

dave  :thumbsup:

longbridge

I get pretty upset when I see posts regarding faulty British steam locos, my first love is British steam as thats what I grew up with, you would think the quality control would have been perfected by now but it seems that it hasn't and that is what turned me to American Diesels.

I do hope that you get a good runner Richard and to Nobby good luck mate hope you get a decent one as well.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

RichardBattersby

So do I and I never thought that I would be one of the people having to report a faulty model, especially Farish. I'm just glad that the model shops are so good, Rails of Sheffield in this case.
Richard

Ollie3440

I thought the first post sounded familiar. I was the younger lad behind the counter at Rails.

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the loco, i picked one up myself and have had no problems with it. As mentioned a few posts above i'd suggest putting a drop of oil on the pins to help loosen them up abit.

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

RichardBattersby

Hi Ollie, thanks. I popped in yesterday and your colleague demonstrated the problem. Tried another one and got the same issue! Dodgy batch me thinks. But I've got a good one now, just need to run it in. Hopefully it stays good.  :) 
Looking forward to the class 20s coming out.
Richard

Newportnobby

Hi Richard,

When I received mine it ran smooth as silk straight from the box and is certainly a looker. Nice one, Farish :GraFar:

RichardBattersby

;D Glad you got a good one!! She's nice isn't she? Looking forward to running her in and getting some coaches behind her. Need to fit the decoder too. Will have to post some pics for you all to look at.
Richard

RichardBattersby

Well she's been DCC'ed and is all run in - running beautifully as should be the case. Now bery happy - thanks  :GraFar: and Rails.
Richard

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations