N gauge start up advice

Started by GWR_XC, March 26, 2018, 07:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GWR_XC

Hello

I was hoping to get some advice on starting getting into n gauge again (the one and only time I had n gauge I had a few locos which got stolen so never got that far into the hobby)

So moving on I really want to get the hobby started but literally have no idea where to start.

For example I was looking to purchase some locos again which were stolen from me but cannot find them anywhere I appreciate they were released a few years ago and possibly limited numbers but still...

N gauge emu class 411 in br blue/grey I cannot locate that anywhere which is a great shame as this was probably my favourite loco.

So if anyone knows where I could buy it I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Newportnobby

Quote from: Euston on March 26, 2018, 07:02:44 PM

N gauge emu class 411 in br blue/grey I cannot locate that anywhere which is a great shame as this was probably my favourite loco.

So if anyone knows where I could buy it I would very much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Euston - you may have a problem.
Hi, and welcome to the forum :wave:
Chances are unless one comes up on EBay you'll find it difficult to find one.
As for anything to do with starting out, this might be of assistance..............
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

PostModN66

My advice, start small with a tiny layout with 3 or
4 points that you can finish in a few weeks, learn skills and move on to a proper layout.

Mind you, people don't seem to like this advice; they tend to decide on a double track layout with three stations, filling the spare bedroom!  And then a few months into the build we don't hear from them again!!!!

Cheers Jon  :)

"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Train Waiting

Quote from: PostModN66 on March 26, 2018, 08:05:07 PM
My advice, start small with a tiny layout with 3 or
4 points that you can finish in a few weeks, learn skills and move on to a proper layout.

Mind you, people don't seem to like this advice; they tend to decide on a double track layout with three stations, filling the spare bedroom!  And then a few months into the build we don't hear from them again!!!!

Cheers Jon  :)

Welcome aboard.

That is terrific advice from Jon.

And when you have it 'finished' and move on to a bigger project, it gives you an opportunity to play trains so that you don't rush building your bigger layout just so that you can get something running. 

Many people are tempted by a 4'x2', but if you can make the width 2'6", you'll be able to use more generous radii on the curves.  The trains will look better on these and, possibly, run better as well.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Welcome to the forum.
It's certainly good advice not to get too carried away size wise on your first layout.
Plenty of advice available on here so please do ask away if you need to.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

RailGooner

Nothing to add to the sage advice already offered. But would like to add my welcome. :wave: Hi Euston. :wave:

NeMo

Quote from: Euston on March 26, 2018, 07:02:44 PM
So moving on I really want to get the hobby started but literally have no idea where to start.

Maybe have think about what skills you want to develop first. If it's kits and painting, then getting some Kato track might give you the quick fix of train running, while easily tidied away afterwards. That way you could use your workspace for the kit building stuff until you get round to your actual layout building.

I agree with what others have said that as/when you start building your layout, smaller may be sensible. But at the same time, if it's too small, it can end up being a waste of money if it's never used again. Something to be said for the old 3ft shunting plank that can be diddled around with, but small enough to be cheap, and easily placed on a shelf when out of use. By contrast, a 4x2 oval (or similar) is likely to be thrown out unless you have plenty of space to store stuff.

Cheers, NeMo
(Former NGS Journal Editor)

GWR_XC

Hello everyone,

First off many thanks for the advice and welcome it's very much appreciated.

Some good news, I managed to buy the class 411 emu in br blue and grey this morning from ebay as to my surprise one popped up it cost £185 which seems alot as last one I purchased just over a year ago cost £120 iirc so hopefully I haven't over paid but wanted it so I'm happy about that.

This might seem kinda strange way to start an n gauge hobby but there are just a small selection of locos I have to buy first before I Start the layout etc, as if I know I have the locos I want this will give me all the enthusiasm and motivation to start the hobby and build from there.

That being said I will take on the advice already been given as will need all the help I can get, and I absolutely agree that start off small then build from there (don't try run before you can walk) my building skills are none existent but I'm going to give it a good go this time around and start off with just light small building kits eventually etc and see how that goes.

I am in this for the long haul and totally understand that it is a very expensive hobby and time consuming but I like the idea of taking it slow and building the hobby over time, besides my accommodation at present will only allow a very small layout section indeed so until I move I will just focus a little bit at a time, but to start with just have to purchase another 5/6 locos once I know I definitely have them again it will give me the passion to start the hobby again.

Again appreciate the advice and always welcome any more advice as really I'm a total novice with very little knowledge of n gauge.

Many thanks

bluedepot

Bealman

G'day from Australia, Euston. Glad you got a result with the loco!  :thumbsup:

All the best with your plans, keep us posted!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Euston on March 27, 2018, 10:03:16 AM
I managed to buy the class 411 emu in br blue and grey this morning from ebay as to my surprise one popped up it cost £185 which seems alot as last one I purchased just over a year ago cost £120 iirc

Oh so you nabbed it!  I was watching that but it went way over my limit (I model European but still fancy a blue/grey 411 as they were so familiar)

Enjoy!
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations