Opinions on best performing Steam and heritage diesel locos.

Started by IkBrunel, March 24, 2018, 02:49:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirky

IMHO the Farish DP1 is an excellent runner.
Having said that, most of my diesels out perform my steam locos hands down, except for my Union Mills locos.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Train Waiting

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 24, 2018, 04:04:21 PM

I'd recommend looking at Union Mills. With the stupid prices on today's top end models you can afford to pay someone to DCC it (or learn to solder a bit) and it'll still be cheaper 8)

Quote from: kirky on March 24, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
Having said that, most of my diesels out perform my steam locos hands down, except for my Union Mills locos.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

I completely agree with the above posts and regard Union Mills models highly.  Certainly not DCC ready but I understand Wickness Models has a very good reputation for adding whatever-it-is that one adds for DCC.  No doubt there are others who do this too.  These models perform well and are difficult to break, which is a bonus for an operational layout when things happen from time to time.

I don't know if this is important to you, but Union Mills is a manufacturer based in the British Isles.  I like that very much.

Best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Ditape

Of my many Loco's I would say the Farish Class 42s are my most reliable runners reasonably quite, good haulage capacity and good running qualities.
Diane Tape

Chris Morris

I'm happy with all my Dapol and Farish locos which are all recent production.
For heritage diesels classes 35, 42, 52 and even 47 are all fine runners. There isn't a heritage class 22 (yet).
Most modern steam outline locos are very good. The Dapol prairie is well detailed but hard to control. Most Dapol tender locos have a shaft drive from tender to loco. These are usually good runners but need careful handling.
Some steam outline locos are lacking in ability to pull loads up hills.
Union Mills locos have a good reputation for being solid but Have very poor detail compared to modern Farish and Dapol locos.
Early Farish locos and all British outline Minitrix locos are best avoided if you like your locos to look anything like the real thing.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

IkBrunel

Quote from: kirky on March 24, 2018, 08:20:31 PM
IMHO the Farish DP1 is an excellent runner.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
I've got a dp1 on its way to me in the post. How do they compare with th class55 that was based on it?

25901JFM

One loco that really surprised me for smooth running is the Farish Class 04 0-6-0 Diesel Shunter.  For a loco with such a short wheelbase mine ran extremely well from new.  Now that it as been in store for the last 4 years, along with all my other loco's it will be interesting to see how it runs, when I get started again in the not too distant future. 

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations