Fowler 3MT 2-6-2

Started by Stuart Down Under, January 19, 2018, 07:42:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Down Under

Any ideas how to bash up a Fowler 3MT? It appears to be a decidedly unpopular type, but how can I run the Midland Main Line without any?? Chapel do a beautiful 2-6-4 4MT, and I suggested that maybe they could think about the 3, but no success yet.

Shiney Sheff

Is the Graham Farish one not the right prototype?

Stuart Down Under

Farish produce the very attractive BR Standard 3MT, which is sadly based more on the GWR large prairie. The chassis could be OK with an appropriate body.

Dr Al

Not wanting to be rude and not reply to Nobby's tag - though I'm afraid there's a limited amount to add here from me.

As far as I'm aware this particular prototype has never been attempted by any kit or mainstream manufacturers. So it's most likely a body scratchbuild job, or maybe a hack from the old GEM 2-6-4T Fowler 4P kit (in itself not hugely accurate).

Chassis wise it's likely you'd find the Farish BR standard 3MT a close enough representation to use, and they run well, so definitely the right one to consider.

Beyond that, you could try drawing up the model and getting it 3D printed to fit that chassis - obviously this needs some time, effort and skill (that can be acquired) though there are a good number here on the forum that have expertise in this area.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Stuart Down Under

Hi Dr Al,

Thanks for the encouragement, and for confirming that this class has never been offered in any form. The Farish 3MT does look like a suitable chassis, and I will have a search for some old GEM kits I have stored away somewhere. However, although the 3 and 4 have a close family resemblance, the dimensions are significantly different, with the 4 being much beefier all round. I think I will continue to encourage Chapel Design to 3d print one as a stablemate to their excellent Fowler Class 4.

Dr Al

Quote from: Stuart Down Under on January 23, 2018, 11:48:15 PM
encourage Chapel Design to 3d print one as a stablemate to their excellent Fowler Class 4.

I've never seen this - do you have any links?

Cheers,
Alan

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

msr

Dr Al

Quote from: msr on January 24, 2018, 08:04:17 AM
Here's the link to Chapel Design (Andrew Morris):
https://www.shapeways.com/shops/chapel-design

Interesting, and promising - thanks.

I've actually been building one from a GEM kit on a 3MT chassis, and that exercise teaches you how many inaccuracies there are in the GEM kit, so the 3D print is an interesting future option to build another....

....current state (still rough and a bit of a way to go!)

Cheers,
Alan

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations