Graham farish a3 372-378

Started by IkBrunel, December 15, 2017, 09:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IkBrunel

Hi all. I have been offered a Graham farish a3 model number 372-378. Could you give me your general opinion of these? Also would like to know when they where made(think it's Bachman farish) and their suitability to convert to dcc as they don't say dcc ready.
Many thanks.
David.

IkBrunel

ntpntpntp

Ouch - that ebay listing went for way more than I'd have offered for the old tooling model.  Personally I couldn't live with those undersize driving wheels and piddly little front bogie.  I'm not a British N modeller any more but I do own a Farish Tornado and it's a much superior model.

It won't be DCC ready, I presume it will need Digihats and stuff to convert to DCC.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

It wouldn't surprise me if NBrass do a replacement front bogie but I believe that would limit the loco to 12" radius curves :hmmm:

PennineWagons

Quote from: IkBrunel on December 15, 2017, 09:34:45 AM
Hi all. I have been offered a Graham farish a3 model number 372-378. Could you give me your general opinion of these? Also would like to know when they where made(think it's Bachman farish) and their suitability to convert to dcc as they don't say dcc ready.
Many thanks.
David.
This particular model was made in 2005, and was marketed as part of a 'Heritage Range' produced by Bachmann/Farish in association with the NRM. It's actually a Poole-era design dating back to 1987, predating the Bachmann takeover of Farish in 2000, but was manufactured in China using the original UK tooling. Bachmann made six Chinese versions of the A3, of which this one is the next-to-last. (60065 'Knight of the Thistle' in BR late-crest green, catalogue number 372-380, was the final one.) They've never produced an updated version, probably because sales would have been adversely affected by Dapol already having one in their range.
They were decent enough models for their day, but seem a bit dated nowadays in comparison with modern offerings. Lots of people are perfectly happy with their old Poole-era stuff though (me for one). If it runs OK and you like it then that's all that matters really.
PW

IkBrunel

Thanks for the replies guys. I have cancelled the order and will go for the dapol dcc ready train pack instead I think. Are they worth the money? They come with a dapol a3 and 4 coaches with light bars fitted. Are the dapol a3s good runners?

ntpntpntp

I noticed the item has re-appeared on ebay.

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

austinbob

Quote from: IkBrunel on December 15, 2017, 08:52:46 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have cancelled the order and will go for the dapol dcc ready train pack instead I think. Are they worth the money? They come with a dapol a3 and 4 coaches with light bars fitted. Are the dapol a3s good runners?
I've got three and they all run well, albeit a bit noisy cos of the cardan shaft drive.
You can often find them on offer at Rails and Hattons for example.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

IkBrunel

Quote from: austinbob on December 15, 2017, 09:04:54 PM
Quote from: IkBrunel on December 15, 2017, 08:52:46 PM
I've got three and they all run well, albeit a bit noisy cos of the cardan shaft drive.
You can often find them on offer at Rails and Hattons for example.
:beers:

Have I made the right decision guys?

RailGooner

On nearly every purchase I second (and often third and fourth) guess myself, except when it's a 37 or a 66. :worried:

I think you'll be far happier with your new Dapol train pack than you would've been with the older Farish loco. :thumbsup:

IkBrunel

Quote from: RailGooner on December 15, 2017, 11:18:27 PM
On nearly every purchase I second (and often third and fourth) guess myself, except when it's a 37 or a 66. :worried:

I think you'll be far happier with your new Dapol train pack than you would've been with the older Farish loco. :thumbsup:
Thank you for the reply. I feel much better now.

Newportnobby

Take great care in handling the loco, making a point of picking loco and tender up together and keeping them level. It's all too easy to pop the cardan shaft out from loco or tender and then it won't run. My feeble eyesight and shaky hands don't help me to get them back in :-[

IkBrunel

Do they have traction tyres? If so do you have problems with them causing dirt on the track and interrupting the dcc signal?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations