yellow warning panel paints

Started by bluedepot, May 05, 2015, 08:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluedepot

hi,

what brand of yellow paint matches graham farish warning panel yellow paint the closest?  (for class 25, 31, 37)

also are mini snow ploughs always painted warning panel yellow?

cheers,

tim

Newportnobby

Not sure about the first question, Tim, but I think the answer to the second question is 'no' from DVDs/pictures I've seen.
Mind you, it could be the snowploughs in question were just filthy :-\

Westbury

bluedepot

yeh they were ptobably mostly just dirt colour!

cheers for link westbury!  i will try to get some of this railmatch paint at the weekend if i go to the derby show.  if not will buy online.  class 25 getting snow ploughed up first.

did 31173 ever have snow ploughs fitted???  not sure anyone will know that kind of detail but never know...

cheers

tim

DELETED

If it helps I've been struggling to get yellow to work in acrylics.  Assuming a white base coat I find Tamiya yellow good for coverage then Railmatch on top as the final / top 2 coats.

Rich

mark100

Quote from: RST on May 08, 2015, 09:49:49 PM
If it helps I've been struggling to get yellow to work in acrylics.  Assuming a white base coat I find Tamiya yellow good for coverage then Railmatch on top as the final / top 2 coats.

Rich
My Dad was not impressed with the waterbourne thinners supplied by railmatch to thin acrylic paint for airbrushing, it kept drying whilst going through the needle and nozzle, he ended up paying for a premium product by DALER-ROWNEY called Flow enhancer, 2 parts of this to 1 part paint, the paint broke up within seconds and mixed up well, went on well and dried perfectly. it cost him £6.25 for 75ml 
You cant get better than a Betta Fish

DELETED

Hi Mark.  Thanks for the tip but I gave up trying to spray yellow in this scale years ago.  I'm in awe of anyone who does it (the mags are full of it) -I tried lots of methods and am just fed up trying now so brush paint all the way for me now as I know it works.  For me I mostly weather afterwards so airbrush helps hide allot of sins!

Good tip though if folk want to try that product.  I use Windsor and Newton Satin varnish from a small aerosol and it's superb on any surface so far.  I have 4 or 5 Windsor watercolor / acrylic kits -but I prefer to paint pictures separate.

Rich

mark100

Quote from: RST on May 09, 2015, 12:44:30 AM
Hi Mark.  Thanks for the tip but I gave up trying to spray yellow in this scale years ago.  I'm in awe of anyone who does it (the mags are full of it) -I tried lots of methods and am just fed up trying now so brush paint all the way for me now as I know it works.  For me I mostly weather afterwards so airbrush helps hide allot of sins!

Good tip though if folk want to try that product.  I use Windsor and Newton Satin varnish from a small aerosol and it's superb on any surface so far.  I have 4 or 5 Windsor watercolor / acrylic kits -but I prefer to paint pictures separate.

Rich
I learnt last year how to spray such small areas and not blast paint at them, it's not so difficult if you have a dual action airbrush.
1) Do the yellow warning panel or full ends last
2) Mask off the area.
3) Set the airbrush up with matt white paint and push the button down on the airbrush and slowly pull the trigger back slowly until paint starts coming out (just visible) and hold it there in that position and apply to the area you are painting, do a few coats and leave to dry. practice on a piece of card beforehand.
4) Do exactly the same with yellow, pull the airbrush trigger back until the paint is just visible and apply a few coats until you are satisfied with the finish.
I was told doing it this way prevents those horrible thick masking lines.

Cheers Mark

Malcolm Hunt

Quote from: mark100 on May 09, 2015, 03:35:19 PM

Rich
I learnt last year how to spray such small areas and not blast paint at them, it's not so difficult if you have a dual action airbrush.
2) Mask off the area.
3) Set the airbrush up with matt white paint and push the button down on the airbrush and slowly pull the trigger back slowly until paint starts coming out (just visible) and hold it there in that position and apply to the area you are painting, do a few coats and leave to dry. practice on a piece of card beforehand.
4) Do exactly the same with yellow, pull the airbrush trigger back until the paint is just visible and apply a few coats until you are satisfied with the finish.

Cheers Mark
Hi @mark100 ,
I don't know much about acrylic paint, but judging by the rest of this thread I guess you are describing this light airbrush approach when using acrylics.
Which make and type should I use for my yellow warning panels on an all green cl24?
I do have a pot of Tamiya flat black (XF1?) I'm using for coach under frame brass detailing, but beyond that I've much to learn.
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.
- Progression to prescription glasses has not dissuaded me either.

njee20

That was posted 2.5 years ago, you may not get a reply. The advice is sound though, whether using acrylics or enamels, you don't want to saturate the model with paint.

Matching yellow is incredibly difficult, I don't actually find the railnatch colours that good either, I've tried adding a tiny dash of orange to their warning panel yellow to make it a bit deeper.

You'll struggle to match a production model perfectly without lots of trial and error.

mark100

Quote from: LostBoy30A on November 05, 2017, 12:45:24 AM
Quote from: mark100 on May 09, 2015, 03:35:19 PM

Rich
2) Mask off the area.

Cheers Mark
Hi @mark100 ,
I don't know much about acrylic paint, but judging by the rest of this thread I guess you are describing this light airbrush approach when using acrylics.
Which make and type should I use for my yellow warning panels on an all green cl24?
I do have a pot of Tamiya flat black (XF1?) I'm using for coach under frame brass detailing, but beyond that I've much to learn.
I was looking through the Facebook group thinking I had been tagged to something on that group,
I would use Precision enamel, they have a helpful website, I use acrylic as a last resort as it can do nasty things to the airbrush if it is not cleaned out right away. Just keep practicing on bits of plastic card then start on models.

I've not painted anything in over 2 years, I can't see the point if people are not going to pay the going rate for a full respray and show consideration towards the time spent, I would rather do a few extra hours overtime a week at work, rather than watch stuff go round and round on eBay. so I am out of practice until i finish my own layout and start work on my rolling stock, then I will start posting up examples of my work and how I did it.

Mark

:D

Malcolm Hunt

@Mark 100, good for you mate. I for one look forward to seeing the results.
How ironic that I choose N gauge after I start using reading glasses.
- Progression to prescription glasses has not dissuaded me either.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations