!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: CMX track cleaner challenges  (Read 195 times)

Offline CCGWR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
CMX track cleaner challenges
« on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:31 am »
Hi Everyone,

A little while ago I purchased a CMX wagon as half my layout in undercover so hand track cleaning is a bit of a pain. I tried it for the first time today, connected to another wagon with a knuckle coupler on one end and a rapido on the other so my British diesels can tow it. I tried all different combinations to tow the train including a Dapol Western and a modern Farish 37 as I have DCC. In the end the most successful combination was double headed Farish class 20s but even these struggled at stages to pull it around, often working harder than they would unloaded. This was mostly on the corners, as there are quiet a few sharp curves which the longer diesels seemed to struggle on. Is it worth purchasing an American diesel(s) to pull it around, if so what manufacturer and class would be the best? Thanks.

Regards Connor 

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: CMX track cleaner challenges
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:22 am »
I haven't a clue about the US loco's, but how about the heavier Poole era loco's?

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
I use a Kato SD40-2 (6 axle US diesel) to haul mine around. No problem whatsoever even on almost 2% grades. I'm surprised that double heading your UK diesels does not give you more than enough grunt. If two isn't enough then try three.

Webbo

Offline CCGWR

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:56 am »
Thanks guys, I might look into that US diesel. I wouldn't know whether the Poole era locos would be that DCC friendly. Trying 3 locos might work but involves a bit messing around every time the track needs cleaning.

Regards Connor

Online Train Waiting

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:33 am »
Hello Connor

I use one of these on my US layout.

As you say, it has a substantial rolling resistance.  It's worth giving the sprung pad a few pushes in and out to make sure it is moving easily.

I use a Kato SD40-2 (6 axle US diesel) to haul mine around. No problem whatsoever even on almost 2% grades. I'm surprised that double heading your UK diesels does not give you more than enough grunt. If two isn't enough then try three.
Webbo

I agree.  I normally use a lash-up of two Kato six axle locomotives.  I once tried an Atlas locomotive.  It just sat there with all wheels spinning!

If you decide to use a US (or Canadian) locomotive, Connor, I suggest that you obtain a Kato one with six axles.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:37 am »
Blimey!
What's the cleaner capacity of this beast - 5 gallons?

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:44 am »
On the very rare occasion I get my cmx on of the box (its too wide for my curved platforms) I use a Farish Class 66 Shed to push it. By pushing the cmx the loco is on clean track. The 66 was bought mainly for using with the cmx, and when you think about it, it's a Canadian/North American loco that runs on UK rails  :D

I do remember that there were times when the pad would get caught on one or two of the point frogs, which is why I prefer to clean by hand.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »
Like Jack, I push mine around with a class 37, an old Poole one.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:06 pm »
In my view it's much better to clean track by hand. The CMX is an expensive piece of kit and only justified if you have tunnels that you can't access.  I've got one (which needs new bogies) and will accept a reasonable offer.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here