!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: CMX track cleaner challenges  (Read 568 times)

Offline CCGWR

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
CMX track cleaner challenges
« on: November 14, 2017, 07:48:31 am »
Hi Everyone,

A little while ago I purchased a CMX wagon as half my layout in undercover so hand track cleaning is a bit of a pain. I tried it for the first time today, connected to another wagon with a knuckle coupler on one end and a rapido on the other so my British diesels can tow it. I tried all different combinations to tow the train including a Dapol Western and a modern Farish 37 as I have DCC. In the end the most successful combination was double headed Farish class 20s but even these struggled at stages to pull it around, often working harder than they would unloaded. This was mostly on the corners, as there are quiet a few sharp curves which the longer diesels seemed to struggle on. Is it worth purchasing an American diesel(s) to pull it around, if so what manufacturer and class would be the best? Thanks.

Regards Connor 

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: CMX track cleaner challenges
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 07:59:22 am »
I haven't a clue about the US loco's, but how about the heavier Poole era loco's?

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:28 am »
I use a Kato SD40-2 (6 axle US diesel) to haul mine around. No problem whatsoever even on almost 2% grades. I'm surprised that double heading your UK diesels does not give you more than enough grunt. If two isn't enough then try three.

Webbo

Offline CCGWR

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:56 am »
Thanks guys, I might look into that US diesel. I wouldn't know whether the Poole era locos would be that DCC friendly. Trying 3 locos might work but involves a bit messing around every time the track needs cleaning.

Regards Connor

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:33 am »
Hello Connor

I use one of these on my US layout.

As you say, it has a substantial rolling resistance.  It's worth giving the sprung pad a few pushes in and out to make sure it is moving easily.

I use a Kato SD40-2 (6 axle US diesel) to haul mine around. No problem whatsoever even on almost 2% grades. I'm surprised that double heading your UK diesels does not give you more than enough grunt. If two isn't enough then try three.
Webbo

I agree.  I normally use a lash-up of two Kato six axle locomotives.  I once tried an Atlas locomotive.  It just sat there with all wheels spinning!

If you decide to use a US (or Canadian) locomotive, Connor, I suggest that you obtain a Kato one with six axles.

All best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 09:54:37 am »
Blimey!
What's the cleaner capacity of this beast - 5 gallons?

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 10:16:44 am »
On the very rare occasion I get my cmx on of the box (its too wide for my curved platforms) I use a Farish Class 66 Shed to push it. By pushing the cmx the loco is on clean track. The 66 was bought mainly for using with the cmx, and when you think about it, it's a Canadian/North American loco that runs on UK rails  :D

I do remember that there were times when the pad would get caught on one or two of the point frogs, which is why I prefer to clean by hand.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:57:56 pm »
Like Jack, I push mine around with a class 37, an old Poole one.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline crepello

• N Gauge Society Number: 3956
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:06 pm »
In my view it's much better to clean track by hand. The CMX is an expensive piece of kit and only justified if you have tunnels that you can't access.  I've got one (which needs new bogies) and will accept a reasonable offer.

Offline CCGWR

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:44 am »
Hi again,

Been a while since I posted on this topic but I thought I would give an update.
I did get myself a Kato SD40. Well, let's just say things haven't gone to plan, once the decoder was fitted I ran it around the layout to give it a run. While it ran smoothly enough it refused to go around some of my corners (derailing). I asked a few fellow local modellers and they suggested things like slightly spreading the rails of the corners. To add further insult to injury, the SD40 also refused to push/pull the CMX wagon, simply spinning its wheels.
So I have a few options.
1. Purchase another SD40 and see if double heading will fix the problem (Price: $310/179). I don't really want to take this option due to price and the fact that the diesels will only ran when track cleaning.
2. Purchase a Farish Class 66 ($230/132) while this is a better option in my eyes than option 1. The 66 will also barely run other than during track cleaning which in my view is a bit of waste of money plus there is not a full guarantee that it will pull/push the wagon around the layout any better than the diesels I have at the moment.
3. Purchase a different cleaning wagon that is easier to push/pull for British diesels such as a Sharge (Do they ship overseas?), Digitrains or even go a vacuum type wagon like the Tomix wagon which seems to be cheaper than the other wagons (I have not seen a price though).

I do realise that many of you mentioned that you prefer hand cleaning and if I had the option I would take it but as I mentioned in my original post, my layout is mostly undercover and even many of the open areas are hard to reach, so hand cleaning is an annoying option.
Thanks for the previous suggestions I do realise this is a bit of a whiny topic but members input and suggestions are greatly valued.

Regards Connor. 

Offline Farmer chap

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 12:22:32 pm »
Hi Conner,

Buy yourself a second hand CJM loco with traction tyres - problem solved, this will move the CMX pushed or pulled

with no wheel slip

Personally I feel the CMX track cleaner is a very effective tool, saving hours of hand cleaning.

Ian.

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2018, 01:42:13 pm »
No one has meantioned union mills locos. They normally have a very powerful pulling capacity, the only problem will be the doc conversion.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 10:45:05 pm »
Hi Connor

I'm surprised that you have had any problems with your Kato SD40 whatsoever. I have 6 of them and they all run perfectly and always have. Kato has the reputation of making robust and smooth mechanisms that are as good as any. The Kato SD40 has 12 wheel drive and 12 wheel pickups so has excellent pulling power and electrical pickup. Combined with dual fly wheels you should find that it is capable of running smoothly over even quite dirty track. My guess is that yours may have a problem with wheel gauge or with a bent axle even if there isn't a problem with your track. I assume that you bought it second hand?

Your SD40 should pull the CMX without difficulty. I A properly functioning Kato SD40 should not need backup to pull your CMX.
If it doesn't pull the CMX easily, may be that there is oil/grease on the wheels. Do the wheels spin or does the motor not turn? My SD40s are all DC. Is it possible that the DCC decoder is causing problems?

Webbo

Offline CCGWR

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 12:43:38 am »
Hi Webbo,

I was surprised too when it didn't push the CMX. Other than the corner issue which I suspect to be more track than loco, the performance of the SD40 is very good, being quiet and a smooth runner, the decoder doesn't seem to make a difference as I tested it on DC for about 30 min before installing a decoder.

Regards Connor

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 03:41:12 am »
Hi Connor

Does it spin its wheels with the CMX or is the motor just not turning? Are you using the carpet material supplied with the CMX? Are all the wheels spinning on your loco when power is applied? Yo haven't used graphite to clean your track have you?

As I said, my SD40 pulls my CMX without any hesitation and is even capable of hauling a Tomix style track cleaner as well though I do have a bit of wheel spin when pulling this lot up my 1.8% grade. Buying another loco should not be necessary for you.

I would try giving the SD40 a good wheel clean.

Good luck
Webbo

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Feb 28
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
February Donations

Advertise Here