!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Britannia Western Star -  (Read 296 times)

Online Masher69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
Dapol Britannia Western Star -
« on: November 13, 2017, 05:12:44 pm »
A while ago I purchased a Dapol Britannia. When I eventually got round to running it, it had a problem. I have just received a replacement from Dapol and today ran it. It is really struggling and is sometimes derailing. My track is peco setrack and I think the problem is with the track rather than the loco. I have cleaned the track and checked for stuck ballast but it still has problems even when running through the unballasted fiddle yard. I am wondering if it is catching on the track pins. Before I start unpinning I was wondering if anyone else had come across this problem?

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Dapol Britannia Western Star -
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:59:36 pm »
Is it struggling on curves only, or on the straight as well?   What radius curves are you using?

I recently made a slightly longer alternative loco-to-tender coupling for my Brit, to help it get round 9" curves.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:12:58 pm »
It's stuttering on the straights as well as curves. I am using 2nd and 3rd radius curves.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:20:22 pm »
OK, my experience with them is limited as I mostly run german stuff.   I'm sure you'll get other folk chiming in with helpful suggestions.

Very doubtful it's catching on track pins if they're properly driven into the sleepers?  It's not ballast if you say it does the same on your unballasted fiddleyard track?

Check the shaft between loco and tender is properly seated at both ends?  It can come loose if you allow the tender to flap around when you're handling the loco.  The shaft should slightly "click" into the socket at each end.

It might be one of the fine wires between loco and tender is disconnected, but you wouldn't expect that with a new unused loco.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:23:17 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online austinbob

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 07:29:53 pm »
If the motor/gears appear to still be turning (with a sort of graunching sound) when the loco slows or stops then, as previous post, suspect cardan shaft.
Could be not properly engaged or, as I had with a brand new Britannia, a split socket for the shaft. Went back for repair or replacement to DCC supplies who said it couldn't be repaired. Replacement didn't work properly for different reason  :veryangry: but won't go into that here.
 :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 07:33:15 pm »
If the motor/gears appear to still be turning (with a sort of graunching sound) when the loco slows or stops then, as previous post, suspect cardan shaft.

One of my Dapol big steamers (I forget whether it was Brit or 9f) I found I needed to grind the cab footplate down a little as the loco-end shaft socket was rubbing on it.

Online Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:08:27 pm »
Thank you austinbob. There is a kind of grinding noise when it is running but at any speed. It sounds as if I will need to contact DCC supplies. I do have some pieces of flexi track so might set that up and see how it runs on that.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:25:20 pm »
Check if the pickup wires between loco and tender are connected - if they've become detached (even on one side) it could be then poor pickup.

If they both look connected, check with a meter that the resistance between the loco drivers and the tender wheels on each side is low (a few ohms) - if not then there still may be a conductivity problem between loco and tender.

I've seen a few where the wires are fine but the posts are not conducting to the copper pads they are screwed into.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Online Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:05:48 am »
Just tested out on Peco unpinned setrack and it was running ok. Looked underneath at connections and they looked ok but noticed this:

The tender "bar" is lying above the screw and this maybe pushing the "bar" down causing it to catch on the track pins etc. Any thoughts? Thanks

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:11:33 am »
The tender "bar" is lying above the screw and this maybe pushing the "bar" down causing it to catch on the track pins etc. Any thoughts? Thanks
That's part of the tender brake rigging I think?  It would have to be very low to be catching on track pins - below rail height - in which case it would catch whenever you go over pointwork?

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+47)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 09:15:05 am »
Just tested out on Peco unpinned setrack and it was running ok. Looked underneath at connections and they looked ok but noticed this:

That's entirely normal.

But it's worth checking that the screw it's clashing with is screwed fully home, and the brass stub it's screwed into is fully pushed home into the plastic post on the tender (these can be a bit variable - it just needs a good push fully home while you're checking the screw with a screwdriver).

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:40:14 am »
My Brit is a decent runner but does struggle with 9" radius curves as does my Hall. Oddly my 9F and 2884 are both fine despite having longer coupled wheelbases. The only place I have settrack curves are my test track so I am not hugely bothered.

I have heard that check the cardan shaft for flash and filing off any you find is a good starting point.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 09:59:20 am »
My Brit is a decent runner but does struggle with 9" radius curves .. Oddly my 9F and 2884 are both fine despite having longer coupled wheelbases.

With my Brit it wasn't the wheelbase that was the problem on 9" but the cab doors fouling the tender. Hence I made a slightly longer coupling bar and moved the shaft socket a mm or so to compensate.

Yeah, my 9F doesn't seem too bothered by 9".

Online Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 10:21:50 am »
Just tried it out again and the tender is somehow catching on the points, rail joiners and power connections. Also again on the test track set up and it is also now struggling there on the rail joiners. I presently have 5 other locos and they are all working ok on the main track so will get in touch with DCC to see what they say. Don't want to do anything which may affect the warranty.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:39:07 am by Masher69 »

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »
If it's catching on rail joiners then maybe a tender wheelset is out of gauge?   Joiners don't usually come high enough to reach the wheel flanges though, so maybe something else is hanging down from the brake rigging?  Should be easy enough to spot if you watch at eye level.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything