!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: My other passion .... or two  (Read 425 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
My other passion .... or two
« on: November 12, 2017, 10:02:03 pm »
My other main passions are building 1/35th scale tanks, ( the fighting kind) and painting miniature figures to play table top games like Bolt Action and Warhammer, the hobbies are strangely linked,  they all demand lots of assembly, gluing and painting !

It's getting to the point where I am going to have to think of selling my tank dioramas in the shop t make way for more
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm
Unit 404, The Commercial Centre. Picket Piece. Andover SP11 6RU

Online d-a-n

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
Re: My other passion .... or two
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:01:15 pm »
Do you play 40k or AoS? I've just got back into the hobby so I'm painting up the Death guard and Primaris Marines from the Dark Imperium and First Strike boxed set.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:51:08 pm »
My other main passions are building 1/35th scale tanks, ( the fighting kind) and painting miniature figures to play table top games like Bolt Action and Warhammer, the hobbies are strangely linked,  they all demand lots of assembly, gluing and painting !

As a kid, I loved painting fantasy adventure whitemetal figures. I've still got a few kicking about, and I'm pretty sure I learned a lot of basic skills like weathering and detailing from that hobby.

One thing that unites both hobbies is their expense! Warhammer stuff seems incredibly expensive to me nowadays. It probably was back in the 1980s too, when I would buy their stuff from the original 'Games Workshop' shop in Hammersmith.

Really, it was AD&D I enjoyed back then, plus the Tolkien books, but the miniatures gave me the opportunity to indulge my creative side. I didn't use the whitemetal figures for gaming, and still haven't a clue how Warhammer works, but the quality of some of the modelling I see online and in the Games Workshop shops is breathtaking.

Cheers, NeMo

Online d-a-n

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 02:24:50 pm »
One thing that unites both hobbies is their expense! Warhammer stuff seems incredibly expensive to me nowadays. It probably was back in the 1980s too, when I would buy

Once you get past the big box set bargains, the stuff is quite dear! It is nicely made though and a joy to paint and I suppose a set of 5 or 10 guys for 30 isn't too dissimilar to the 30 a carriage we are now paying! The upshot is that both have an active following and social side where swaps/secondhand bargains can be made/found  :D

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 02:28:57 pm »
...I suppose a set of 5 or 10 guys for 30 isn't too dissimilar to the 30 a carriage we are now paying!
A very fair point indeed!

The upshot is that both have an active following and social side where swaps/secondhand bargains can be made/found  :D
Plus the creativity behind the Warhammer world is wonderfully rich, not just detailed but ironic as well. Like the best 2000AD comics, it's not just about the fantasy, but also about thinking about our own consumption of imagery and propaganda.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 03:30:20 pm »

As a kid, I loved painting fantasy adventure whitemetal figures. I've still got a few kicking about, and I'm pretty sure I learned a lot of basic skills like weathering and detailing from that hobby.

One thing that unites both hobbies is their expense! Warhammer stuff seems incredibly expensive to me nowadays. It probably was back in the 1980s too, when I would buy their stuff from the original 'Games Workshop' shop in Hammersmith.

Really, it was AD&D I enjoyed back then, plus the Tolkien books, but the miniatures gave me the opportunity to indulge my creative side. I didn't use the whitemetal figures for gaming, and still haven't a clue how Warhammer works, but the quality of some of the modelling I see online and in the Games Workshop shops is breathtaking.

Cheers, NeMo

Look after those whitemetal figures, some of them can be quite rare and worth a fortune.

It's also worth noting, that 99% of what Games Workshop produce is made in this country, all of the plastic is moulded in their factory in Nottingham, the mouldings are it has to be said exquisite, and full of detail.
It's their marketing strategy that gets them where they are, from promotional tournaments to supporting their retailers with an advertisng budget, I get 320 a year from them to spend how I want.

Hornby and the like could learn some valuable lessons from them.
Test Valley Models

You can visit us Tues - Fri 11am - 5:00pm Thurs Late Night until 10:00pm  Sat 9am - 5:00pm

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 06:21:18 pm »
It's their marketing strategy that gets them where they are, from promotional tournaments to supporting their retailers with an advertisng budget, I get 320 a year from them to spend how I want.

It certainly looks to a casual observer that Games Workshop products help to keep a lot of local toy shops afloat. In a way, they're attractive to the 8-12 year old boys that model trains used to capture back in the 50s and 60s.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 06:27:52 pm »

It certainly looks to a casual observer that Games Workshop products help to keep a lot of local toy shops afloat. In a way, they're attractive to the 8-12 year old boys that model trains used to capture back in the 50s and 60s.

Cheers, NeMo

Hate to disappoint you, but that is not really true, my main customers are over 30 ! and when they spend, they spend, only the other day  guy announced to me that he woould be replacig his whole army, a new one to 'fight' at national tournaments is going to cost around 1000 and that excludes the extras like paint and  add ons
Test Valley Models

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 06:38:58 pm »
Hate to disappoint you, but that is not really true, my main customers are over 30 !
Oh! Had no idea. But is Warhammer more attractive to youngsters than trains? I kind of feel that it is, but perhaps not. Was certainly more trendy that trains when I was a teen (1980s).

and when they spend, they spend, only the other day  guy announced to me that he woould be replacig his whole army, a new one to 'fight' at national tournaments is going to cost around 1000 and that excludes the extras like paint and  add ons
Well, that should pay your bills for a while!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Graham Walters

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels.co.uk
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 06:51:16 pm »
Hate to disappoint you, but that is not really true, my main customers are over 30 !
Oh! Had no idea. But is Warhammer more attractive to youngsters than trains? I kind of feel that it is, but perhaps not. Was certainly more trendy that trains when I was a teen (1980s).

and when they spend, they spend, only the other day  guy announced to me that he woould be replacig his whole army, a new one to 'fight' at national tournaments is going to cost around 1000 and that excludes the extras like paint and  add ons
Well, that should pay your bills for a while!

Cheers, NeMo

Difficult to comment on that, because where we have been, has necessitated transport, public transport being once an hour if that some days. We do get youngsters in with their Dads looking at railways, in similar numbers to those that want warhammer. what I can say in absolute truth is that if wwe had not taken on the war games market and down late night opening for people to play, we would have ceased trading before christmas last year.

This opens up a whole new argument about model shops needing to diversify and engage with their customers more.

Test Valley Models

Online d-a-n

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:31 am »

What I can say in absolute truth is that if wwe had not taken on the war games market and down late night opening for people to play, we would have ceased trading before christmas last year.

This opens up a whole new argument about model shops needing to diversify and engage with their customers more.

I'll have to drop by your shop next time I'm headed down south - if it's both Warhammer and trains I'll be in heaven! I'm glad to see you've found a way to keep being a successful business. The warhammer shops up here all seem to do a lot of business after the average working day; I have driven to Element Games in Stockport to buy models at 10pm before or set out late on a Sunday afternoon to pick bits up from the Altrincham store - something I can't say I've even been able to do with N gauge. In fact, before I got back into Warhammer and N gauge, I used to drive past a model shop in North Manchester promising myself I'd pop in for old times sake... except it was really hard to do so around the hours I was keeping with my jobs at the time! 

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
July Donations

Advertise Here