!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Extension arms for Peco point motors.  (Read 279 times)

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
Extension arms for Peco point motors.
« on: November 12, 2017, 04:55:29 pm »
As I am starting to build the new layout I have been using SEEP point motors but I have a load of barely used Peco PL-10 motors that were previously fixed direct to the points.  I have seen that it is possible to buy extension arms for these so as they can be used underneath the board without cutting HUGE holes.

I am nearly at the fiddle yard stage now and need to fit another 12 or so motors to code 80 points.

Anybody used these or any advice.  Or should I just buy more SEEPs.  ?

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Extension arms for Peco point motors.
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:09:35 pm »
Yes I've used them, they work fine. Use a tiny dot of epoxy to secure the brass sleeve - I used superglue for a few and suffered a couple of them coming loose over the years.

[edit]
Be careful what you use to cut the rod down.  It's quite tough steel, it'll ruin cheapo cutters so you need some decent strong ones.  I would advise DON'T try and cut it with a disc cutting wheel - too much heat generated.
I offer up the unit to the point and mark the rod with permanent marker, then remove and cut. File flat and remove any burrs.
[/edit]

You can get also get the point motors with long extension rods pre-fitted, but I prefer to use the low power version of the point motor. Unfortunately you can't get both low power with extended rod which is a shame.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:41:01 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 06:36:02 pm »
The Gaugemaster equivelent are just as good and easier to fit with screw fittings for the wires and cheaper they look allmost the same as Peco.I will be using them from now on for replacing any failures.
Bob Tidbury

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
Thanks both,  Bob I am using SEEP s now but have all these PECO ones left over so will be using for sidings etc.

Nick, I think its worth a try as I can get them 6 for about £11 so cheaper than buying 6 new SEEPs  I think I still have mounting plates for the PECO ones from my 1st attempt at N gauge 20 years ago.  Also never finished that one,,,

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 07:09:40 pm »
.. I think I still have mounting plates for the PECO ones from my 1st attempt at N gauge 20 years ago.  Also never finished that one,,,

If you're going to use the twin microswitches with the Peco motors, then the new style mounting plate that comes with those will also act as the under-board motor mounting plate.  Howver it means the microswitches are then positioned between motor and point and right up against the baseboard so more fiddly to adjust.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 08:01:17 pm »
Just looked, the micro- switch costs £7  a new SEEP is less than that.  So much for re-cycling.

Grumpy ...

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:59:14 am »
I have seen that it is possible to buy extension arms for these so as they can be used underneath the board without cutting HUGE holes.

I am a fan of cutting big holes so that you can attach the motors directly to the points. Using the arm always makes it very hard to get positive alignment.

Once the track is laid, the hole can be covered with card or plasticard and then ballasted over. Here are before and after shots of my own trackwork.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 11:02:22 am by Karhedron »
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:32 am »

I am a fan of cutting big holes so that you can attach the motors directly to the points. Using the arm always makes it very hard to get positive alignment.

Once the track is laid, the hole can be covered with card or plasticard and then ballasted over. Here are before and after shots of my own trackwork.

Hi

Out of interest how easy is it to change the point motor should it fail in this arrangement?

Cheers

Paul

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:13:40 am »
No failures yet (touch wood) but I imagine it would be slightly more disruptive than a motor mounted before the baseboard. You would need to unclip the motor from the point to remove it. Not a difficult job but I guess there is the risk of dislodging some ballast in the process. You would also need to paint the clips of the new point motor to match the weathering on your track as they are quite shiny. This is not a big deal for me as I used Railmatch sleeper grime to weather the track so painting a dab of that onto each of the motor tabs would not be too hard.
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 03:17:52 pm »
I assume you cannot use this method with seep motors due to lack of securing clips on them?
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 03:57:02 pm »
Ok @Karhedron , the tight wad in me thinks I may be investing in a large diameter drill bit for the fiddle yard to re-use them olde PECO motors..

The "fiddle yard" is actually going to be scenic and not hidden.  The idea is storage sidings but connected at one end to a turntable.

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:02:00 pm by Jerry Howlett »

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 06:12:42 pm by Delboy »
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 03:20:04 pm »
The Chinese one...  Free postage great!, Worldwide great!, excludes ITALY  :veryangry: what have we done to upset this guy ?

Jerry

Offline newportnobby

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 04:18:33 pm »
Um.....failed to qualify for the World Cup? :P
(Just to put the boot in ;))

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:04 pm »
Um.....failed to qualify for the World Cup? :P
(Just to put the boot in ;))

World Cup.   Its now equivalent to "Don't mention the war" in these here parts....

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything